SF MASSDROP HEADFI MEET IMPRESSIONS - 11/7/15
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 11, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #46 of 69
It was a great picture, so I just had to use it. The quarter gave the whole image perspective.

I have no issue with you using it, please feel free. What I was specifically getting at (in the nicest way possible) in my previous post is that it would have been great if you gave me (the person who posted that picture of the quarter and DACport Slim) credit, and/or you could have posted a link to the review thread that the picture was posted.

Nov 11, 2015 at 4:42 PM Post #47 of 69
I have no issue with you using it, please feel free. What I was specifically getting at (in the nicest way possible) in my previous post is that it would have been great if you gave me (the person who posted that picture of the quarter and DACport Slim) credit, and/or you could have posted a link to the review thread that the picture was posted.

Come on man this picture is on google images (public picture).  It's not a big deal because at this point you are just being petty about it.

Nov 11, 2015 at 4:55 PM Post #48 of 69
Oh, I was misunderstanding you then. Well, I was actually already planning on using your linked image (once I found out it was yours) instead of this one from Google. I'm on my smartphone right now, so I'll do that as soon as I get home.

Nov 11, 2015 at 5:06 PM Post #49 of 69
Come on man this picture is on google images (public picture).  It's not a big deal because at this point you are just being petty about it.

Nowhere did I state he has to credit the picture. This is precisely why people watermark their photos. I do not currently watermark my photos, but it would be nice if what I do (or anyone) is credited, regardless of the photo being "public" just because it is part of Google's search now.

Oh, I was misunderstanding you then. Well, I was actually already planning on using your linked image (once I found out it was yours) instead of this one from Google. I'm on my smartphone right now, so I'll do that as soon as I get home.

No worries. Next time (for myself and others) would be nice.

Nov 12, 2015 at 3:23 AM Post #50 of 69
Grace Design Massdrop m9xx DAC/amp:

I don't like or know how to make long and well written reviews so here's a list of all the stuff that I liked and stuff that possibly needs improvement:

Let me start by saying that this is by far the best semi-portable headphone DAC/amp for overall high sensitive (i.e. lower impedances, higher telsa of magnetic flux densities, better acoustic seal, etc.) headphones that I have ever used.

Good: 
  1. This is very competitively priced considering all that you get
  2. Usb Powered
  3. RCA & Toslink
  4. 2 Headphone Outputs in Parallel (great for sharing music with a friend)
  5. 0.08 ohm Output Impedance
  6. Low Distortion and Noise Levels
  7. Great Multifunction Top Mounted Volume Knob
  8. Sounds Amazing with Low Sensitivity Headphones and I.E.M.s 

Where I'd like to see improvements or separate version options:
  1. Being a portable amp/DAC:
    1. It could always be smaller. Not counting the power adapter this is bigger than a O2+ODAC.
    2. This should have at least one or both headphone outs be 3.5mm, or at least the option to choose. Most portable devices have 3.5mm jacks, and that could save space inside to make it even smaller.
  2. 2 smaller separate knobs for the headphone outputs, if that works with parallel. Both have volume control, but one doubles as a power button while the other one carries all of the previous button functions. 

Nov 12, 2015 at 5:02 AM Post #52 of 69
  I think the main lacking feature in the M9xx is an analogue input so that we can use it as an amp-only with a DAC of our choice. Other than that it pumps some awesome sonic bliss into low-z cans and IEMS!

Yes! That's a good one! I didn't notice that it was missing one, so it's a good thing that you mentioned that. It's not a feature that I'd use a lot on a portable amp, but it would certainly be fun being able to test out different DACs with it at a meet or something. For me at least though the overall size of the M9xx and it's 1/4" headphone output were the biggest issue. If I ever own a M9xx, then it's going to spend 99% of it's life/use on my desk. It didn't offer too much extra than say the CEntrance DACport Slim (which I'd argue also sounds great for low sensitivity headphones and I.E.M.s for the much larger size as well as additional cables. If they could get it down to about the size of a O2+ODAC, then I could quite possibly get one myself for portable use.

Nov 12, 2015 at 6:24 PM Post #53 of 69
Does anyone know the head-fi usernames of the friendly Massdrop guys who were at the event?

Nov 12, 2015 at 6:35 PM Post #54 of 69
Nov 12, 2015 at 6:50 PM Post #56 of 69

Hey, your TH-900 was dope. What's up?

You've got mail! :) Also, it was great chatting with you about Fostex mods at the meet!

Nov 12, 2015 at 9:12 PM Post #57 of 69
  OK I feel like I'm going to explode if I have to contain my excitement any longer on this one

Koss ESP 950 electrostatic headphone with SRM 1 MK2 Stax amp and Bifrost Uber DAC versus SR-009:
It's taken me 24 hours to even begin to come up with words for how angelic this pairing is - still I'm left with just a bunch of words like magnificent, timeless, velvety, etc.!
Let me start by telling you this is without a doubt one of the best things I've ever heard - astoundingly surreal!!!!!
  1.  Compared to Senn. HD 650: 950 has about 30% better punch / dynamics, about 50% more detailed. Soundstage about the same quantity but in a different way. Bass quantity similar but quality in a different league. 
  2. Compared to the Stax SR-009: Stax wins by about 30% in all these regards: punch, detail, lushness, soundstage and bass quality, yet IMO is slightly bass shy.

From my testing, I would have to disagree with the previous poster that it's sound is overly dry / cold and that the attack / release is too fast. I quite enjoyed that punchyness especially on electronic music, and the decay will be there as long as it's part of the recording. Sure it's not as lush as the 009 but I had no qualms with that. It sounded marvelous with all the electro / pop / acoustic songs I threw at it. The only very slightly negative comment I would have was that the bass presentation seemed to have a slight artificial or plasticky feel too it. Both these electrostats were quite comparable but the SR-009 sounded more organic, pure, detailed and effortless.
Overall 8/10 for an electrostat.
The only other things I've heard to best it were Sony MDR R10, Stax SR-009 and a heavily modded HE-6 on a goliath powered amp

I didn't see the ESP 950 at the meet?! It's been my daily driver for a little while. It's a wonderful phone. In my experience the bass problems have to do with the seal. I just added more foam from the older koss pads into them and the bass has improved a good amount with the simple mod. Even with the stock amp it's a great phone IMO. 

Nov 12, 2015 at 9:22 PM Post #59 of 69
  Just adding a little more foam to the pads really helps the seal and I do not have anymore complaints about the bass on this phone.

That makes a lot of sense. You should bring your modded pair to the next local meet--I'm very interested to hear how much bass these cans can put out with a proper seal on the pads!

Nov 12, 2015 at 9:36 PM Post #60 of 69
@stjj89 the above user was the only Head-Fi member from their staff that I'm aware of. 

@recarcar you have the ESP 950 also? Another user had his on display.
As of this weekend I will be the new owner of that 950 electrostat rig (with the stock amp unit). Could you explain how to add foam in the earpads without ruining it in the process? Feel free to send me a link if it's already explained somewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back