Sexually ambiguous avatars?
Mar 5, 2005 at 6:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 105

Yikes

Headphoneus Supremus
What’s the deal with members who use hot attractive chicks as their avatars?

Here is the definition of Avatar:

2 a : an incarnation in human form b : an embodiment (as of a concept or philosophy) often in a person
3 : a variant phase or version of a continuing basic .entity

So an avatar should be in some way an incarnation of the person posting it. Yes?

So either there are an inordinate number of really cute chicks (Chicks is used in it’s most endearing manner) on this forum, or there are a great number of men who feel that a cute chick as an avatar represents them accurately; either physically or emotionally.

Mar 5, 2005 at 6:43 PM Post #2 of 105
My avatar is actually a picture of me being all that I can be!!!

Mar 5, 2005 at 6:44 PM Post #3 of 105
I'll take 2. b : an embodiment (as of a concept or philosophy) often in a person ... that screaming sensation.
600smile.gif

But I prefer to see cute chicks than something that accurately portray the many posters here on head-fi.
wink.gif

Mar 5, 2005 at 6:54 PM Post #5 of 105
Meh, I don't think that it is a big deal.

And I do think that it gives me some idea of 2b: an embodiment (as of a concept or philosophy) often in a person, because it shows what that person is interested in having associated with them.

Although that being said, none of the best/most accurate avatars on head-fi use hot attractive chicks.

Mar 5, 2005 at 7:05 PM Post #6 of 105
<--- no comment.

Mar 5, 2005 at 7:06 PM Post #7 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunnyears
There is no endearing meaning for the word "chick." I have yet to find one woman who thinks of herself as a "chick" or "cute chick."

Right, but a bunny is a different animal altogether...

Mar 5, 2005 at 7:11 PM Post #8 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bunnyears
There is no endearing meaning for the word "chick." I have yet to find one woman who thinks of herself as a "chick" or "cute chick."

On that point, as a «cultural exchange», we have a specific term for the «macho» guys that are using words like «chick» when they speak about ladies in general. These guys are called «Ginos»*.....

Amicalement

EDIT: *http://www.rabaska.com/super/chroniq..._camaro_go.htm

Mar 5, 2005 at 7:14 PM Post #9 of 105
I think mine's a little ambiguous as well. Maybe I need a bigger beard.

But then I would just be confused for a greek woman. *ducks from the G/F*

Mar 5, 2005 at 7:16 PM Post #10 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yikes
So either there are an inordinate number of really cute chicks (Chicks is used in it’s most endearing manner) on this forum, or there are a great number of men who feel that a cute chick as an avatar represents them accurately; either physically or emotionally.

I just simply love Mariah, she's a very sexy woman with a great voice to match, I've got all her albums and DVD's, now all I need is Mariah herself to complete my collection.
biggrin.gif

Best wishes,

Paul.

Mar 5, 2005 at 7:18 PM Post #11 of 105
Quote:

Originally Posted by Genetic
On that point, as a «cultural exchange», we have a specific term for the «macho» guys that are using words like «chick» when they speak about ladies in general. These guys are called «Ginos».....

Amicalement

I dunno, everytime I've used Gino, or heard it used, it was used as a slur on a guy that tried to be macho, but was more concerned with appearances than anything else. It's the guys you see that spend an hour primping themselves before going out, hang out in packs of 3-6, and are so insecure about their own masculinity that they behave like jerks to make themselves feel better.

There are still macho guys, not many, because the society as a whole is turning into an androgynous or even female-biased one (look at how many issues that were historically oppressive against women have been overcorrected to the point that they're oppressive towards men).

It's getting harder to be a manly man.

Mar 5, 2005 at 7:39 PM Post #12 of 105

Users who are viewing this thread

Back