Several questions
Oct 7, 2009 at 6:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Alec Momont

New Head-Fier
Hi every one
bigsmile_face.gif
, I've been searching through these forums for about 2 weeks now in order to find some decent information on headphones and other audio related stuff. (Never really registered until now). But I still have a few questions. But first some more about my search for some great audio (if you care to read it):

About 3 years ago my interests in audio started to grow. I collected an amazing amount of song back then of around 25 000 off all different artists. Totally enjoying the music I Downloaded on my computer with some rubbish external speakers or ear buds with my iphone. About a year later I thought I could better bring down the music I had to only the top 1000. again an other year later I had them (and still updating the list today). This was about the moment I got into headphones and better audio quality etc. So I bought myself some WEZC headphones, thinking the quality of more expensive headphones wouldn't be that big. And about a month ago from now I thought an upgrade to the Bose around ears would be good. So I went to test them in the store. Totally disappointed by the little difference it gave me to the WEZC I returned home without buying it (and if I read all the posts on this forum that was a good choice). Then 2 weeks ago a friend borrows me his Grado SR80i, whom I was totally amazed by its deep sound (I listen mostly to lounge music). And thats where I am today, just returned the can to my friend, putting back on the WEZC, totally sick of the sound that came out of those ear buds with a big case...

Anyway guys, I'd like to ask for your help on this:

1- Music formatting: I got 1000 songs in 320 kbs (in iTunes) Whats the best format to convert them too? If you think FLAC or ALAC, say it, Ill get the CD's Somewhere. But also mention a temporary format untill I get Lossless (Such as AAC or leave them as Mp3?).

2- Current Portable player: iPhone 2G. I believe this isn't the best player for audio... starting by its cable connection (doesn't fit most of the cables) Do you know any better players?

3- Currently I am considering Grado SR80i (Hard to get in Europe) and RE0. (Mainly out of personal experience) What do you think about these cans and do you know better ones? Currently considering:

° Grado SR80i
° MS1
° RE0

4- Do the cans you recommend require a can or not? If so which one do you recommend?

-> Thanks for your help. I know you guys are used to people who come rushing in to these forums: 'asking what can should I buy???' knowing very little about audio. I am not like that, I've been searching for information for a long time. And now as a final step want to hear about what you guys think about it.

o2smile.gif

Thanks !

Oct 7, 2009 at 7:16 PM Post #3 of 13
Regarding your question about what format is best for your 1000 songs...leave them in 320 kbps MP3. Since MP3 is a lossy codec, converting to any other lossy format would constitute transcoding, and converting to a lossless format would be a waste of hard drive space, since the 'missing' information is not restored upon conversion to lossless.

Oct 7, 2009 at 7:19 PM Post #4 of 13
Ok thanks. With the 'gear' I have right now I can't tell the difference between 320 and lossless anyway. Oh and I don't have that many CD's, I will probably buy on ebay/ borrow from friends. (since I got about 1000 songs, 1000 artists and 1000 albums =), just the best of everything). thanks

Oct 7, 2009 at 10:28 PM Post #5 of 13
1) Keep your music at 320. There's no point in converting to a lossless format since your source is already lossy.

2) The Cowon S9 seems to be popular around here for its audio quality, but the iPhone 2G should drive these headphones well enough.

3) Since you're in Europe, I would just get the MS1. The risk is that you won't like it as much as the SR80i; FWIR, the MS1 has a more neutral sound, and it's likely that one of the qualities you admired about your friend's SR80i was its unique euphonic coloration.

4) As far as I know, none of the headphones you mentioned require an amp.

Good luck!

Oct 8, 2009 at 2:27 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by ktsai1283 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1) Keep your music at 320. There's no point in converting to a lossless format since your source is already lossy.

2) The Cowon S9 seems to be popular around here for its audio quality, but the iPhone 2G should drive these headphones well enough.

3) Since you're in Europe, I would just get the MS1. The risk is that you won't like it as much as the SR80i; FWIR, the MS1 has a more neutral sound, and it's likely that one of the qualities you admired about your friend's SR80i was its unique euphonic coloration.

4) As far as I know, none of the headphones you mentioned require an amp.

Good luck!

ditto

Oct 8, 2009 at 8:18 AM Post #9 of 13
OK, so leave the format at 320 kbs. But about the headphones:
Now you guys come up with 3 more headphones, making I have 6 to chose from. If anyone has some personal experience with any of these, please share. I can use the info! =)

Oct 8, 2009 at 6:17 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alec Momont /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could anyone compare me the SR80i vs MS1?

Read my post above. I basically summarized what many people think in a couple of words, but you should also be able to find lots of information by doing a search.

Oct 8, 2009 at 6:31 PM Post #12 of 13
Converting your music to ALAC or FLAC won't do a thing for the quality, so don't worry about that. Once lossy, it is impossible to go in reverse. Do yourself a favor and start buying actual CDs rather than anything off of itunes. Physical media is wonderful and you get to keep the CDs and have those in case anything ever happens to your computer.

Oct 9, 2009 at 11:07 AM Post #13 of 13
The songs I have now are in 320 kbs, I know that converting them to FLAC/ALAC won't improve the sound quality. That's why I said: "I will start buying CD's now).

Thanks every one for helping me out. I found a store that sells the SR80i.... for 109 euro so ill probably buy that. And later on buy a good amp as my knowledge about audio improves and I want to improve my grado. By than I will probably also know my preference of headphones since I have a few friends who have 4-5 headphones that I can test.

Thanks all... I will soon delete topic since there are already 1000 pages on this forum.

thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back