Settling for the porta pro...(Oz)
Oct 6, 2002 at 12:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

spukee

100+ Head-Fier
I spend a lot of time travelling (on the train etc.) and just bought myself an SlimX(mp3cd) player to ease the pain... the phones that came with it were decent treble wise but the bass was nonexistent.

So I got myself the senn mx500 earphones... It's quite ok, but still seems a bit weak bass wise, guess it's just a design weakness.. (I'm no audiophile... I'd luv to be ^_^).

Anyhoo... I'd like to buy a good pair of portable headphones here in OZ but would have to pay $120-140 (AUD) for a pair of Porta Pros (around $70-80 USD). I'd love the KSC35's but I can't find anyone selling it here, and certainly no online retailer willing to ship it and not costing over $150AUD for it all. The KSC50 is around $69(AUD) but I heard it's pretty uncomfortable so that's sort of out of the question...

Fact is, I'd love to get a good set of portable headphones. Is it worth paying this much for it? Any other portable cans around the same price point worth considering?

Any help would be great guys. Sorry for the newbie post ^_^.

By the way, this forum rocks! I've been reading the threads for like 2 weeks now... You guys really know your stuff... I'd really like to get into this...

Oct 6, 2002 at 2:13 PM Post #2 of 25
spukee -

in that price range, i don't have a great deal of experience. if you want to drop a wad though, i can highly recommend the ety er4p.
biggrin.gif

anyway, the reason for my post -- if you find the KSC35 anywhere in Australia, i'd love to know where. i'm after a pair for rollerblading.

cheers,
lucien

Oct 6, 2002 at 2:15 PM Post #3 of 25
spukee, Welcome to Head-Fi

Comfort like sound is personal. I have a pair of KSC50's and find them very comfortable. The piece that slips over your ear is bendable by the way which makes it easy to custom fit. I find the sound to be almost the same as the Porta Pros BTW. Definitely not weak bass. If you can try a pair before you decide against them based solely on comfort.

Oct 6, 2002 at 3:04 PM Post #4 of 25
Lucien, I don't even know where you can get the etys here... but hell that's way too expensive for me atm... just starting out with this ^_^. I'll let ya know if I can find me some 35's...

Hmm... john, yeah I am 50-50 on buying the ksc50... there's a massive price difference between the portas and the ksc50... the porta's are double the price in fact...

The thing is, I really don't want to mod the phones... I just want something that's okay out of the box...

I wish I can find a place here where I can try out these things...

Oct 6, 2002 at 4:01 PM Post #5 of 25
The earpiece on the 50's is designed to be bent slightly by the user as a way to adjust the fit. It is sort of like those bendable rubber coated toys for kids.

Oct 6, 2002 at 5:07 PM Post #6 of 25
I got 2 pairs of KSC-35s from member Buddha, PM him to see if he has any left.

The KSC-50s aren't uncomfortable at all once you've adjusted them properly, you have to fiddle with the rubber ear thingies a little before they're feeling their best, but I've never found them to be uncomfortable.

If you were in perth I could help you out with trying heapdones out, and down the track I may even be able to help out with Etys
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 7, 2002 at 5:10 AM Post #7 of 25
Quote:

Originally posted by spukee
I spend a lot of time travelling (on the train etc.) and just bought myself an SlimX(mp3cd) player to ease the pain... the phones that came with it were decent treble wise but the bass was nonexistent.

So I got myself the senn mx500 earphones... It's quite ok, but still seems a bit weak bass wise, guess it's just a design weakness.. (I'm no audiophile... I'd luv to be ^_^).

Anyhoo... I'd like to buy a good pair of portable headphones here in OZ but would have to pay $120-140 (AUD) for a pair of Porta Pros (around $70-80 USD). I'd love the KSC35's but I can't find anyone selling it here, and certainly no online retailer willing to ship it and not costing over $150AUD for it all. The KSC50 is around $69(AUD) but I heard it's pretty uncomfortable so that's sort of out of the question...

Fact is, I'd love to get a good set of portable headphones. Is it worth paying this much for it? Any other portable cans around the same price point worth considering?

Any help would be great guys. Sorry for the newbie post ^_^.

By the way, this forum rocks! I've been reading the threads for like 2 weeks now... You guys really know your stuff... I'd really like to get into this...

spukee, I too live in sydney and do 1.5hrs round-trip on train everyday. I dont recommend the ksc35 or ksc50 for train use as it doesnt provide enough isolation. The mx500 is a good cheapo bud but the sony 888 is lot better but at a MUCH higher price.

id suggest closed phones for train use.

Oct 7, 2002 at 8:27 AM Post #8 of 25
Get the koss-35, u wont regret it.

But like taoster said, since u intend to use it on the train, isolation is what u want. Unless u dont mind blasting the volume up and let the whole world know u love Aaron Carter
biggrin.gif
, just a joke.

u might wanna check out Beyer DT231, heard its pretty good closed headphones.
It cost 90+post .

Hey Snufkin, wat are your opinions? Are they any good?

Oct 7, 2002 at 12:01 PM Post #9 of 25
The sennheiser's mx500 bass is considered good for earphone.. and you said weak bass?? r u a basshead????
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
hehh joking

Anyway I would really love to own ksc35 too but can't seem to find. Is there much diff between ksc50 and 35? I can only find 50 here I think...

For 1.5 trip I would recommend something like full sized cans(beyer 250-80 earns respect here).. that if you have the budget.. becoz sometimes train can be quite noisy ,.. so u might wanna stay away from open design

Oct 7, 2002 at 12:17 PM Post #10 of 25
Oooh... I never looked into the Beyer stuff. I heard they're quite cheap here in Sydney. I saw the Phillips HP890 here but it seemed a bit big and I think I'd need a portable amp to drive it...

Nah I'm not a bass head... I like trebley stuff more actually... But the train noise probably eliminates all the detail I'd like to hear.

I love the MX500s... but after a week - even after burn in - I think I'm ready to move on! ^_^. Not quite to Ety's yet but if I can get my hands on the much talked about KSC35s...

I value your opinions heaps, two weeks reading about the mx500, made it such a worthwhile purchase. Thanks guys.

Are there any closed phones that doesn't make me look like I'm going to audition to be a DJ?

Oct 7, 2002 at 12:20 PM Post #11 of 25
The DT231s don't isolate much at all for closed headphones, neither do the HP890s (they're open) so I wouldn't recommend either for portable use.

The 250-80s are probably going to be more than you've budgeted for, but let me know if you want a pair and I'll see if I can help you out
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 7, 2002 at 12:28 PM Post #12 of 25
hey snufkin, how much would this thing set me back you reckon?

Beyer 250-80 I mean.... I don't need total isolation... I just want decent sound, but was quite unhappy with the sennheisers I listened to below the $200 mark... are they supposed to sound that airy? I don't remember listening to the 497s but the 495s I saw second hand for $130...

Oct 7, 2002 at 12:39 PM Post #13 of 25
hey spunkee.. did you get the mx500 in sydney? where do you get it from if from sydney?

actually, im using the mx500 on train too and looking for something better also lol
confused.gif

Oct 7, 2002 at 1:14 PM Post #14 of 25
They had the mx400s at JB hifi at parra and they said they were going to order the mx500s for me... but the two days later I saw them for $44 at HMV at the Pitt St Mall in Sydney. They're great phones, but you tend to lose a lot of detail when you're on the train... I think your KSC50s would be better than these ones..

BTW, I checked out your old post... where did you find the KSC50s for $35? Borders?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back