Settlers of Catan
Jun 26, 2009 at 7:26 AM Post #2 of 23
It's... well... fantastic.

I'm sort of burnt out on it now, because I've played it so many times over the past few years, but I still recognize that it's one of the best games I've ever played. The "Cities & Knights" expansion pack also provides a lot of value, because it almost feels like it makes Settlers an entirely different game.

Jun 26, 2009 at 7:32 AM Post #3 of 23
A few months ago, my cousins dragged me into it. Well, I initially resisted because I hate board games, and especially ones that look complicated. Thankfully though, they all knew the game really well, and it turned out to be a lot of fun. There is some explaining to do with every move or decision you make, but none of it takes five minutes to talk about by itself; more like a minute or two, tops.

Give it a try! Just be sure you have a lot of experienced (and patient) people playing it with you!

Jun 26, 2009 at 5:36 PM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tridacnid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's almost as awesome as D&D, but doesn't need a bunch of people who are crazy to play it.

D&D is only fun if you're playing with crazy people... if you're character isn't almost dying ever session and you don't leave at least one city in ruins by accident then you're doing it wrong.

I think settlers is that kind of game too, if nobody is yelling at someone for taking all the sheep then it's not my kind of game of settlers

Jun 26, 2009 at 8:45 PM Post #9 of 23
It is a fantastic game. Be careful, though. My roommates and I started playing it a couple years ago and we almost came to blows over it a couple times. It is the most fun, interesting and wonderful board game I have played.

Side note: My roommates and I played it enough that one of my roommates also started trying to trade in settlers "futures" for real life things, such as "I will give you 5 ore next time we play if you take the trash out for me." The weirdest thing is that people took his trades.

Also, Settlers walks all over risk and axis and allies in my book, though the comparison to axis isn't really fair. Playing it is more of an event than an activity.

Jun 27, 2009 at 4:14 AM Post #10 of 23
Settlers is a very good game. I started playing it a few months ago and have already added two expansions. Cities and Knights is cool but OMG is it long!!

Jun 27, 2009 at 7:23 AM Post #11 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by tintin47 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It is a fantastic game. Be careful, though. My roommates and I started playing it a couple years ago and we almost came to blows over it a couple times. It is the most fun, interesting and wonderful board game I have played.

Side note: My roommates and I played it enough that one of my roommates also started trying to trade in settlers "futures" for real life things, such as "I will give you 5 ore next time we play if you take the trash out for me." The weirdest thing is that people took his trades.

Also, Settlers walks all over risk and axis and allies in my book, though the comparison to axis isn't really fair. Playing it is more of an event than an activity.

That's great!

Jun 27, 2009 at 11:10 AM Post #12 of 23
You can download that game for 360 but not PS3. I need a good strat game on my PS3 too. It's all mostly arcade and action games which just doesn't appeal to me much. That's why I still do 99% of my gaming on the PC.

Jun 27, 2009 at 1:51 PM Post #13 of 23
Catan is definitely one of the best strategy board games available. It manages a level of depth and interaction between players without hours of micromanagement to plow through. Games usually last an hour or two tops, instead of a couple of 12 hour Sunday marathons per game like so many others. Great fun and it has a very friendly learning curve.

Jun 27, 2009 at 4:47 PM Post #14 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gatto /img/forum/go_quote.gif
D&D is only fun if you're playing with crazy people... if you're character isn't almost dying ever session and you don't leave at least one city in ruins by accident then you're doing it wrong.

I think settlers is that kind of game too, if nobody is yelling at someone for taking all the sheep then it's not my kind of game of settlers

My point exactly. Which is why Catan is a better game for people who aren't insane.

Jun 27, 2009 at 5:15 PM Post #15 of 23
Settlers of Catan is awesome by itself, and taken to an even higher level with the Cities & Knights expansion. It's been the 'gateway drug' to German-style board games for a great many of my friends, a lot of whom have enjoyed board games in the past but have gotten fed up with the old standards like Risk and Monopoly etc. German-style board games have several common features that appeal to people, such as moderate length of play (usually 45 minutes to 2.5 hours, unlike Risk's 6+ hours), an emphasis on strategy but usually with some element of chance, and the fact that people are never eliminated from play - everyone keeps playing until someone wins. For more info: German-style board game - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My current favourite games are Cities & Knights of Catan, Carcassonne, Tribune, and Ticket to Ride. There is a lot more discussion and recommendation of games on boardgamegeek.com.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back