Set of Cans for Movie Watching
Sep 9, 2009 at 7:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

satchmobob

New Head-Fier
Hi all, Just signed up here as you all seem to know your stuff.

I'm looking for a nice set of cans for watching movies. Not really interested in the surround sound thing so a decent set of stereo 'phones is what I'm after. I've got me eye on the ATH-AD700. Do you think they'd be suitable for movies? Budget is £120 max. Any ideas guys?

Many thanks,
Rob.

Sep 9, 2009 at 7:33 PM Post #3 of 13
I can recommend the AD700s for movie watching (due its soundstage), but suggest to buy a fiio E5 with it. The fiio is imo not good for music, but the extra bass boost is really nice for movies.

And the AD700s are super comfy
biggrin.gif
If i want to, i could watch all 3 LOTR movies in a row without discomfort.

Sep 9, 2009 at 7:52 PM Post #6 of 13
You won't need the E5 from your receiver for any headphones.

A number of headphones in this price range would be "suitable" for movies from your receiver. Just depends on what kind of sound you're wanting, and to some extent how comfortable the headphones would be for you.

My KSC75 modded with HD414 pads was pretty good for movies, but lacked bass impact. And that's what you can expect from just about any open headphones like the AD700 and HD555.

But if you want bass impact, I suggest considering closed or semi-closed headphones. FWIR, the HA-RX700 and SRH440 come to mind, and of course there are others.

Sep 9, 2009 at 7:58 PM Post #8 of 13
Thanks very much 1Time. Will check those out too. I was a bit worried about the bass on the ad700s... Do i have to pay attention to the resistance of the cans i eventually get. Not sure what difference the Ωage makes.

Sep 9, 2009 at 8:29 PM Post #10 of 13
You're welcome. I can only estimate how well your receiver will drive headphones. And without knowing this for sure, I suggest not considering headphones that are considered harder to drive or are often recommended for use with additional amplification. You definitely will be fine choosing from the easier to drive headphones, lower Ohm and more efficient (higher dB rating). For example, I used to have the 120 Ohm version of the HD595, and it sounded very nice from my H/K receiver.

I suggest choosing headphones that will be comfortable for you since you will be using them for hours at a time. Also, decide whether you want bass impact from the headphones. That will narrow your choices down by eliminating practically all open headphones. However, if you prefer a more open and airy sound more than bass impact, then you'll want open headphones. Choose open or closed headphones first, and then you can narrow down the selection from there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by satchmobob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks very much 1Time. Will check those out too. I was a bit worried about the bass on the ad700s... Do i have to pay attention to the resistance of the cans i eventually but. Not sure what difference the Ωage makes.

Sep 9, 2009 at 8:50 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by satchmobob /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Koss look nice but the curly cord puts these on my no chance list! Honestly, why? Just too annoying!

I never found that a problem. I've had straight cords, thick cords, and curly cords with no preference over the other. Now 2-cord vs. single-cord into the earcups like Grados, that's annoying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back