Separating a FLAC CD image.
Jun 26, 2008 at 2:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

monolith

Headphoneus Supremus
Okay, so let's say I have the image of a CD in FLAC, along with its original cue sheet. How would I go about getting this into separate FLAC files.

I'm sure it's something to the effect of getting the wav from the FLAC and reencoding it using the cue sheet to individual FLAC files, but I don't know how to actually do that.

FLAC front end?

Jun 26, 2008 at 2:44 AM Post #2 of 15
I imagine your using a windows based system, but, in linux the following does the trick:

$cuebreakpoints sample.cue | shnsplit -o flac sample.flac

edit: FWIW, I'm pretty sure EAC can split wav files from a cue sheet.

Jun 26, 2008 at 4:35 AM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by cooperpwc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Redo be right. Or the short answer:
Foobar!

Hmm, but that doesn't split just converts.

Jun 26, 2008 at 2:05 PM Post #7 of 15
I have done that several time, using Max.
Just open the cue sheet with Max, then transcode the individual files to FLAC.

Can't be easier!
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 26, 2008 at 7:24 PM Post #8 of 15
You can to do this semi-manually in Audacity. Open your FLAC image. Audacity automatically converts it to uncompressed AU stream. You can manually set split points then use the Export Multiple function to create multiple FLAC files at each split points from the AU stream.

Jun 26, 2008 at 8:09 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmm, but that doesn't split just converts.

Converting a cue sheet and one giant FLAC file into multiple FLAC files with all the gapless info and tags still intact works great for me. No data loss, no quality loss, and everything splits up nice and neat.

Jun 26, 2008 at 10:28 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Converting a cue sheet and one giant FLAC file into multiple FLAC files with all the gapless info and tags still intact works great for me. No data loss, no quality loss, and everything splits up nice and neat.

Does it add pregap to the end or the beginning of the track?

Jun 27, 2008 at 1:03 AM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew_WOT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just did some tests and looks like foobar2000 adds pregap information to the beginning of the track. Not good.
frown.gif

EAC Gap Settings - Hydrogenaudio Knowledgebase

Well, I've never had any problems with altered gaps when using Foobar2000 to split up a cue sheet. It plays back exactly as it does when using the cue sheet.

Jun 27, 2008 at 1:29 AM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Redo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, I've never had any problems with altered gaps when using Foobar2000 to split up a cue sheet. It plays back exactly as it does when using the cue sheet.

It adds gap to the beginning of the track, which means it starts with silence. Having silence at the end of the previous track is more natural and this is what EAC does by default when you rip individual songs. With silence at the beginning you won't notice anything wrong if listening the whole album gaplessly, only with individual tracks or shuffled ordering. Just read the link I posted, it has pretty good explanation of all that.

BTW, if using Medieval CUE Splitter, make sure to check "Invert Gaps" option to have them added to the end of the previous track.

Aug 29, 2011 at 4:48 AM Post #14 of 15
Does CUE Tools have the same issue with silent gaps in the beginning/end of songs? I listen to a lot of albums where such gaps would be of a real detriment to my listening experience. For example, Tool's Lateralus or Opeth's Still Life. I am currently trying to work with some FLAC file/cue sheet as well as ape/cuesheet stuff. I just made this thread today: 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/569201/help-please-cue-files-ape-files-tagging-rockbox#post_7716059

Users who are viewing this thread

Back