Separate battery pack for ihp-120?
Mar 31, 2004 at 8:00 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Dan the audioman

1000+ Head-Fier
Is there a battery pack of some sort that I can connect to my ihp-120 so that i can run it off of separate batteries? (ex: one that runs off of AA batteries...)

This would be a huge help for when it runs out of juice and i have no where to charge it.

If not, are there any DIY projects i can do to make one?

Thanks for your help.
Dan

Mar 31, 2004 at 8:47 PM Post #2 of 14
I don't know why my previous post didn't make it but.. On the following page is a sticky for the battery pack topic, and below it is a hot thread entitled something like "powering IHP from USB" some DIY'ers have modded usb cables so that they charge the IHP off of usb ports. There's also mention of retail usb cables possibly being able to do the same. Good results..go check it out:

here

Mar 31, 2004 at 9:45 PM Post #3 of 14
Sweet Spot,

Thanks a lot! Unfortuneately the player still needs to be mobile and the usb idea isnt going to work.

However, i read through the link you gave me and the 3 AA pack seems like it is what im looking for.

Is there anywhere I can purhase something like it?

If not, I think I should be able to make one if it is as simple as it sounds. All i have to do is find "case" that holds 3 AA batteries (ill find one at digikey or something) and connect it to the same place you plug in the adapter to charge it. Correct?

Thanks.
Dan

Mar 31, 2004 at 10:15 PM Post #4 of 14
I made a battery pack for my Zen and it works okay, so you sould be able to make something similar for your iHP. I got all the parts at Radio Shack for less than $10.

wink.gif

CreativeNomadZen_15.jpg

Apr 1, 2004 at 2:47 AM Post #5 of 14
Thanks GSTom1,

I suppose i should just get the stuff from radioshack as well. I doubt the parts at digikey would justify paying shipping and handling fees.
biggrin.gif

If I dont find a battery "holder" that fits only 3 AA's and i have to use 4 AA's, how would that effect the functioning of the player as it would be more than the usual 4.5v that powers the player?Would it end up charging the player as well?...or would it maybe be too much power?

thanks.
Dan

Apr 1, 2004 at 6:51 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by loveheadphones
i use 4 NiMH AA's in a radioshack case, it works fine with no issues

Thanks for the reassurance.
wink.gif

So because you are using 4 AA's, that means that you are using 6v (1.5 above the 4.5v produced via the adapter), does it charge the player at all? Because that would be sweet!

BTW, if i use AAA's, the only effect it would have would be that the batteries don't last as long, correct?

thanks for putting up with my crap...i appreciate it

redface.gif

Apr 1, 2004 at 8:02 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by loveheadphones
NiMH AA's are 1.2 V

Oh, my bad.
redface.gif

I should know better...
frown.gif
tongue.gif

Apr 1, 2004 at 8:21 AM Post #10 of 14
If you want to use 1.5V alkaline you could just short the 4th compartment and have batteries in 3 of them to get the 4.5V. And yes AAA will give you considerably shorter batterylife than AA.

Apr 1, 2004 at 8:38 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by TMC
If you want to use 1.5V alkaline you could just short the 4th compartment and have batteries in 3 of them to get the 4.5V. And yes AAA will give you considerably shorter batterylife than AA.

I was actually thinking about doing something like that. How do i go about "shorting out" the 4th compartment?

You guys are a big help! Thanks!

Apr 1, 2004 at 4:22 PM Post #12 of 14
You could use 3 regular alkaline batteries (1.5V each) and place a dead (drained) battery in the forth compartment. That should give you 4.5V of total power.

Otherwise, you could use rechargeable or hobby batteries that are 1.2V each. Using four of them would give you 4.8V of power.

Good luck!

cool.gif

Apr 1, 2004 at 8:23 PM Post #13 of 14
Hmm, good idea GSTom1.

But lets say i do use 4 AA's...Do i end up charging the player as well?

Can it hurt the player at all?

Apr 1, 2004 at 9:48 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally posted by Dan the audioman
But lets say i do use 4 AA's...Do i end up charging the player as well?

Can it hurt the player at all?

As long as you don't put more voltage through the player than your adapter would it won't hurt it. I think it would also charge it, but how much of a charge you'd manage to get with batteries I can't say. As for just using 3 batteries in a 4-batterypack, you could also secure a piece of wire between the 2 poles in one compartment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back