1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Sent my Etys back

Discussion in 'Headphones (full-size)' started by donaldekelly, May 2, 2005.
  1. donaldekelly Contributor
    I sent my Ety 4Ps back to Headroom today. I thought they were clear and detailed but even classical needs decent bass! I was listening to Andrew Manze The Rosary Sonatas by Biber and then pulled out the etys and put on my HD280s and the bass made a big difference!

I always thought the etys would be fine since I wanted them mostly for classical - but no! Not very good in my opinion for classical. Maybe for violin solos but not for orchestras. (Of course just my opinion which differs from most people here).

And yes, I tried the foamies and pushing them in tighter etc, etc. After three weeks I didn't hear much difference as long as I had them in far enough. Also, tried them with a good amp (portaphile) and P->S cable.

I did get used to the lack of ambience - that was the main problem at first.

So, not enough bass for average classical music, let alone viola de gamba (bass heavy) classical or rock and pop.

Just interested in sharing my perceptions.

I will probably try the UM2s when I get the refund.

2. Wil
    Do you the tips inserted properly? Cos it is ESSENTIAL that u do to get that seal for proper bass, if not, the Er4s sound shrill, thin and bass-less...

Hm...maybe they just arent for you....thank god i dont need that much bass...hehe

3. raisin
    Well, at least you gave them a reasonable audition period- snap judgements can be dangerous with IEM's. Good luck with your next choice. [​IMG]

4. bangraman Contributor
    Personally speaking, as time went by I was listening to classical more and more on the E5. Real orchestras have bass.

5. wildsponge
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bangraman
    Personally speaking, as time went by I was listening to classical more and more on the E5. Real orchestras have bass.

+1

Check out the E5's. I think they sound great with any type of music. With differnt tips you can alter the sound as well.

6. Jonoh
    Classical deserves a soundstage of some size. All canal phones are soundstage challenged compared to full sized phones. Unless you need portabilty, upgrade to the HD580/600 or 650. The best phones I have heard for classical are the Senn 650s off a good headphone amp.

7. catscratch Contributor
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonoh
    All canal phones are soundstage challenged compared to full sized phones.

Correction: all armature drivered canalphones are soundstage challenged. The Stax SR-001, with it's electrostatic drivers and open design, isn't soundstage challenged by any means. I think it works very well for classical music as long as you don't mind carrying the amp around.

I've begun to use my EQ'd UM2's for classical, and while they're not neutral, they sound, well, nice. Very nice actually. Good detail, good imaging, good bass, and a very smooth, warm, even sound. Very Senn-like, almost a miniature HD650 minus the soundstage. If you have EQ on your portable, you can try these things. Without decent EQ, you're stuck with using Ety tips to bring out the treble, and the sound becomes slightly harsh, almost Grado-like. I don't like sharp trebles, but if that doesn't bother you, then Ety tips are the way to go.

8. aseltzer144
    Its very interesting to read different reactions to difference products. Many consider the ER-4 to be amongst the best you can buy. Others, such as presented here, find them unremarkable. One man's treasure is another man's trash.

I've got ER-6s. Though second in line behind the ER-4, I have to think there's a family resemblance to the sonic signature. Before I bought them, I read a lot of reports on lacking bass. My main interest in the ER-6s was their overall neutrality and faithfulness to the source material. Here I was not disappointed. To my surprise, I also found bass to be very well presented, especially when amped. Thus, I am surprised that even when amped the ER4s would fall short. Expectations as much as ears can vary quite a bit.

Perhaps I was brought up in an audio era where compromises in the audio spectrum were expected, even in high end gear. I recall hearing the original Quad loudspeakers years back. Limited in their presentation, these may have been somewhat like the ER4s of their day - extremely faithful in the midrange to the point of realism, deficient elsewhere in the spectrum. For this reason, they were a favorite for chamber music, not for anything too dynamic.

Now its 2005. As much as I would probably enjoy ER4s, perhaps its time to expect a full range presentation in today's gear. Amped ER-6s will have to do for now, for me, and as I'm finding, there not much lacking there. That's my ears and expectations.

9. donaldekelly Contributor
    "Good EQ" - I wonder if my IRiver has "good enough" EQ.

Apparently it is digital EQ but it has various modes that are not really explained anywhere.

I am assuming a simple "up with the treble" will make the UM2 sound more detailed.

Any clues on the IRiver?

Thanks

10. atx
    Quote:

I sent my Ety 4Ps back to Headroom today. I thought they were clear and detailed but even classical needs decent bass!

I've made up my mind that canalphones will never match the kind of bass you get from full-sized headphones, which is why I went with the 001's. If you find one with bass that satisfies you, do share your findings.

11. meat01 Contributor
    These reviews are just as helpful as the one's that praise them. Thanks for sharing your experience and telling us what you didn't like about them and not just saying Ety's suck [​IMG]

12. donaldekelly Contributor
    I did like them - I just couldn't see spending $240 on only that sound - when some more bass even with less clarity would sound more satisfying.

But worth $300 for UM2s? I guess I am buying portability as well.

13. RockCity
    I think you should wait a few months before buying another canalphone. Within that time, UE and Shure should release new phones that are cheaper and possibly surpass(?) the um2. At least the new UE models are dual drivers.

14. nikongod
    anyone run bass boost via an amp based system (even in a cmoy...) into an er-4?

sorry to thread jack but it fits well here.

15. donaldekelly Contributor
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RockCity
    I think you should wait a few months before buying another canalphone. Within that time, UE and Shure should release new phones that are cheaper and possibly surpass(?) the um2. At least the new UE models are dual drivers.

Good point. Thanks.