Sensitive to bass, looking for gentle headphones with clear mids and highs.
Oct 21, 2010 at 11:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

IneptSavant

New Head-Fier
Hey all, as my title suggests I'm looking for some headphones that are gentle on the low end. I currently use my HD650s with a tube amp most of the time and I get listening fatigue from the bass on almost any piece after an hour(it goes faster with some types of music obviously). I think I might have sensitive ears for the low end. I'm looking for another set of cans in the high-endish range(700 USD max) that I can use for bass heavier music. I also have the Shure SE530s and they seem a little bass heavy for me after an hour.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Oct 21, 2010 at 11:13 AM Post #2 of 13

Quote:
Hey all, as my title suggests I'm looking for some headphones that are gentle on the low end. I currently use my HD650s with a tube amp most of the time and I get listening fatigue from the bass on almost any piece after an hour(it goes faster with some types of music obviously). I think I might have sensitive ears for the low end. I'm looking for another set of cans in the high-endish range(700 USD max) that I can use for bass heavier music. I also have the Shure SE530s and they seem a little bass heavy for me after an hour.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Have you looked into anything in the AKG or Grado lines?  Both of those houses don't have the strongest bass.  It would probably help if you put down what music you listen to so others could give better advice.

I was in the same boat as you and I went another route.  I bought myself a pair of D7000 and started listening to a lot more hip hop than I usually do and now I'm fine with all that bass 
L3000.gif

Oct 21, 2010 at 11:20 AM Post #4 of 13
You should check out the AKG 701 or perhaps a modest Stax setup. They both tend to concentrate on the mid to high end and the bass is rather "polite" compared to say, Denon or Beyerdynamic headphones. My ears tend to fatigue from too much upper-midrange, so I have to be careful with amplification and I generally stray away from solid state.

Oct 21, 2010 at 11:20 AM Post #5 of 13
I too dislike bass heavy cans..I sold my D5000's 4 days after getting them..
tongue.gif

You can try the DT880's or the AKG K701's. If you are lucky you might be able to score a pair of HD800's for around $800.

Oct 21, 2010 at 11:20 AM Post #6 of 13
I haven't heard anything from AKG, but I have heard the Grado SR325is for a few minutes. I don't remember the sound distinctly as the listening environment wasn't the best. I do however remember thinking that they felt like uncomfortable headphones straight out of the 1960s. It's rather difficult for me to listen to high-end headphones before buying them. If I receive a few common recommendations here in this thread I will try and listen to them before buying.

Oct 21, 2010 at 11:24 AM Post #7 of 13

Quote:
I haven't heard anything from AKG, but I have heard the Grado SR325is for a few minutes. I don't remember the sound distinctly as the listening environment wasn't the best. I do however remember thinking that they felt like uncomfortable headphones straight out of the 1960s. It's rather difficult for me to listen to high-end headphones before buying them. If I receive a few common recommendations here in this thread I will try and listen to them before buying.

Comfort is a common problem with Grado.  So you're not alone there.

You should look into HiGHFLYiN9's suggestions of K701 (though you would need a decent amp) or an afford Stax setup.  You might want to try the FS section here since it'd give you a chance to pick up equipment cheaper than retail (most of the time) and then sell it back if it's not to your liking for most of your money back.

Oct 21, 2010 at 11:42 AM Post #8 of 13
what amp you're using? K701 is a bit too picky about amping.

To make it clear, what I suggest is ATH AD-Series like AD900, AD1000PRM or AD2000. They're famous as airy treble, bass on the lean side (though it's great for me), sweet midrange, great for female voice.

Oct 21, 2010 at 12:01 PM Post #9 of 13
DT880 / 600 Ohm.
Brilliant, neutral sound with amazing highs and mids. Very gentle on the bass, but with great extension. Also, most who have tubes have praised the synergy.

shane

Oct 21, 2010 at 12:02 PM Post #10 of 13
I'm currently using a G&W T-2.6F amp. It's pretty good and can drive high impedance cans(tested it against several amps before purchase), though you won't find much about it online that's not in Chinese.

Oct 21, 2010 at 12:19 PM Post #11 of 13
I can heartily recommend the AD700 or K70x for you =)

Oct 21, 2010 at 12:38 PM Post #13 of 13

Quote:
I'm currently using a G&W T-2.6F amp. It's pretty good and can drive high impedance cans(tested it against several amps before purchase), though you won't find much about it online that's not in Chinese.

Umm... never heard about that amp before, K701 isn't high impedance cans, but low sensitivity cans instead, so it needs much current to shine. Even if you can feed it with sufficient current, still the sinergy has to match to provide nice sounding. That's why I categorize the K701 as a can that picky about amp.

and as the opposite, the ATH AD-Series is easy to drive, and not picky like K701.

I have AD1000PRM, and only feed it with uDac, I can get better speed and detail versus my K701 desktop set up.

Simple set-up can sound good indeed. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back