Sensaphonics problems?
Nov 6, 2005 at 8:48 PM Post #16 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by tennisets
Well, initially I decided the UEs probably wouldn't fit my tastes as well as the Sensas, and they're $150 more to boot. Then I discovered that Westone makes customs too, and PM'd digihead about them.

However, I've come to the conclusion that the ES2s are just not in the same league as the Sensas or the UE10. So I'm actually not getting Westones.

I'm getting the Sensaphonics. The sound is supposed to be very close between them and the Ultimate Ears, just a little warmer and with a little less clarity and treble extension. I'm not sure about the soft material as far as attracting dust goes, and also for ease of insertion, but it should be quite comfortable anyway.

But here is the big reason I decided to go with Sensaphonics: I can get the impressions done at their office. After reading a lot of threads about the various IEMs, there is one thing that has jumped out at me more than anything else: fit is critical. The better the fit people got, the more they liked any given phone. If the Sensas and UE didn't have the same fit, people liked the one that fit better the most. People have also gotten the best fitting process at the companies' respective offices. If I can ensure a great fit by getting my impressions done at Sensaphonics, then I'll choose Sensaphonics. That is the most important thing I've come away with. Sensa is in Chicago; therefore, I will buy the Sensas.

Anyway, I know I've jumped around a lot in what I think I want, but I think having the impressions done actually at Sensa will be a huge advantage, one that outweighs any slight differences in sound there may be. Thanks for your help everyone, I'll get my impressions done this week and report back on what I think of the sound once I get the phones.

To those who have had their impressions done at Sensa: how long was it from the time of impression to the time you received the phones?

ES2s are not in the same league because they are cheaper? wow.
Beside, i'd choose ue-10 pro over 2xs, ue10pro use replaceable cable, if u have wire prob with 2xs ur screwed.

Nov 6, 2005 at 9:05 PM Post #17 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by elephantman
Beside, i'd choose ue-10 pro over 2xs, ue10pro use replaceable cable, if u have wire prob with 2xs ur screwed.

Did I say that? No. I came to that conclusion by talking to Digihead who owns all four IEMs (UE10, 2XS, ES2, and ES3). I did not take price into consideration when choosing what I wanted. The only reference to price I made in my post was when I said Quote:

the UEs probably wouldn't fit my tastes as well as the Sensas, and they're $150 more to boot.

Meaning, I'm glad that I think the Sensas will suit me better because they are $150 cheaper than the UE10 Pros. If I thought the UEs would be better for me I would spend that extra $150, but since I don't think they would be better for me, I can save that money. My choice has nothing to do with price. Moreover, I'm aware of the problems some people have had with the Sensas. I'm willing to take that risk, seeing as I have a feeling that most people who have bought them have not had these issues. Keep in mind Head-Fiers are a vocal minority of people who use these phones. Also, the problems that people have had don't seem to have to do with the cable, but with the wiring inside the earpiece. I know the UE would probably be more durable, or easier to insert, but I'm choosing to ignore that issue based on my proximity to Sensa and 1) The increased chance of getting a perfect fit the first time and 2) The ease of getting adjustments done if required.

Nov 6, 2005 at 9:11 PM Post #18 of 33
tennisets,

is that a shetland sheepdog in your sig? I have a color-headed white one and I am just wondering.

As for the question, I think the sensa homefield advantage is important, but I would still choose the IEM you think will sound best. If you don't like the sound of the IEM, you are SOL.

Nov 6, 2005 at 9:12 PM Post #19 of 33
Quote:

However, I've come to the conclusion that the ES2s are just not in the same league as the Sensas or the UE10. So I'm actually not getting Westones.

How exactly did you come to this conclusion? Is there anyone, anyone at all, on these boards or otherwise, that has heard the ES-2 in direct comparison to the Sensas and UEs?

The only comparison we have is digihead's excellent report on the ES-3 vs UE10 and 2X-S. And a little snippet I've dug out online in which David Bowie (!) says how much better the ES2 is than the UE5c.

Nov 6, 2005 at 10:08 PM Post #20 of 33
Digihead actually has the ES2 as well. According to him, the Sensaphonics and the UEs have a more "high end" sound than the Westones and scale better with associated equipment. However, I still keep flip-flopping back and forth between the Sensas and Westones (despite what I said in my earlier post). The Sensas have a better soundstage, and the Westones are darker and more forward.

If the Westones are really that much better for rock music, maybe I should just accept the tradeoff in some other aspects of the sound quality... I'm still unsure what I'm going to do, because I don't want to take a step down from the Sensas or UEs, but if the sound signature is better (and if it's a small step) then maybe it's not such a bad thing. I've PM'd digihead again, I must be driving him crazy! Thanks for putting up with me digihead.

Johnmatrix: Yes, that is one of my three Shelties. The one in my avatar is Phinney, who is now almost two years old (he was less than a year old in that picture, I think). I also have Baxter, who is 11 months old, and Snickers, who is 9 1/2 years old. I'm at school outside Chicago (I'm from DC), and I miss them terribly! I can't wait to see them at Thanksgiving. I'm actually looking forward to seeing my dogs more than my parents, lol (I've already seen them a couple times while I've been here)!

Nov 6, 2005 at 10:15 PM Post #21 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch
And a little snippet I've dug out online in which David Bowie (!) says how much better the ES2 is than the UE5c.

That's interesting. Do you happen to have a link maybe?

Quote:

Sorry, but that's a funny reasoning...

Nov 6, 2005 at 10:30 PM Post #22 of 33
I actually just found this rather interesting link with comparisons of IEMs at all prices. Although I don't trust their observations quite as much as most head-fi members', they did push me ever so slightly more toward the ES2.

http://www.macobserver.com/featurere.../05/07.1.shtml

I don't know, I just feel like I know I'll like the sound of the Westones whereas it's a little more of a toss-up with the Sensas or UEs, despite the fact that they might sound slightly "better." I think the best thing to do is probably just to get the Westones. I've seen too many comments about how neither the Sensas nor the UEs get electric guitars right, but the Westones apparently do. If anyone has any other opinions feel free to chime in, but it's looking likely I'll go with my initial gut feeling and get the ES2s despite my efforts to convince myself I might like the Sensas better (I think they might be better, but probably not better for me).

I'll probably be back here in a couple hours with a new decision, lol!

Nov 6, 2005 at 10:42 PM Post #23 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by catscratch
How exactly did you come to this conclusion? Is there anyone, anyone at all, on these boards or otherwise, that has heard the ES-2 in direct comparison to the Sensas and UEs?

The only comparison we have is digihead's excellent report on the ES-3 vs UE10 and 2X-S. And a little snippet I've dug out online in which David Bowie (!) says how much better the ES2 is than the UE5c.

The plaintive cries of buyers remorse!
evil_smiley.gif

(sorrry)

Nov 6, 2005 at 11:20 PM Post #24 of 33
Quote:

Johnmatrix: Yes, that is one of my three Shelties. The one in my avatar is Phinney, who is now almost two years old (he was less than a year old in that picture, I think). I also have Baxter, who is 11 months old, and Snickers, who is 9 1/2 years old. I'm at school outside Chicago (I'm from DC), and I miss them terribly! I can't wait to see them at Thanksgiving. I'm actually looking forward to seeing my dogs more than my parents, lol (I've already seen them a couple times while I've been here)!

I can sympathize. I am at college and I miss both my dogs, a sheltie and mutt, and my one cat too.

Nov 6, 2005 at 11:37 PM Post #25 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by root
That's interesting. Do you happen to have a link maybe?

Google Is Your Friend (do a search for "westone," it's pretty far down in the article). I know, it's not much
frown.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by raisin
The plaintive cries of buyers remorse!
evil_smiley.gif

(sorrry)

Damn son, you might be onto something there
frown.gif
I hope I am pleasantly surprised, though!

Quote:

I actually just found this rather interesting link with comparisons of IEMs at all prices. Although I don't trust their observations quite as much as most head-fi members', they did push me ever so slightly more toward the ES2.

http://www.macobserver.com/featurere.../05/07.1.shtml

I don't know, I just feel like I know I'll like the sound of the Westones whereas it's a little more of a toss-up with the Sensas or UEs, despite the fact that they might sound slightly "better." I think the best thing to do is probably just to get the Westones. I've seen too many comments about how neither the Sensas nor the UEs get electric guitars right, but the Westones apparently do. If anyone has any other opinions feel free to chime in, but it's looking likely I'll go with my initial gut feeling and get the ES2s despite my efforts to convince myself I might like the Sensas better (I think they might be better, but probably not better for me).

I'll probably be back here in a couple hours with a new decision, lol!

I've read that article a while back, while doing my own research into the subject.

If there is one conclusion that I have come to, it is this: all of these custom IEM's are closer in quality than they are apart. I'm sure that any given one of them will give you a very good level of performance. Given this state of relative equality, price becomes a pretty important consideration, hence, my decision to go with the ES-2. That, and other users' descriptions of the UE10, which had likened them to the E4 and the ER-4, both of which sounded very harsh to my ears in the treble region. For me, it was basically Westone vs Sensa, and I went with westone for price considerations, and the (apparently) higher quality of their fitting/customer service, though TBH, the lack of fitting problem reports for the ES-2 is due to it's lack of popularity here on head-fi.

However, there is also a lot more literature on the Sensa's and UE10's, and they are universally well regarded. So, if it's peace of mind that you seek, perhaps the extra premium for one of them will give it to you.

In any case, whatever you go with, it's going to be good.

Nov 6, 2005 at 11:49 PM Post #26 of 33
I had such a difficult time deciding between the UE10pro's and Sensa's. Even though they have very different sound signatures, my choice ultimately came down to durability. I expect to use these for many years (hopefully my ears don't change too much) so the thought of them dying after a year scared me away from the sensa's. And I had to make my decision on the warranty, not what they may do out of the goodness of their heart if there's a problem.

It just seemed common sense to me that something soft and flexable will ultimately wear out.

The UE10pro's are phenominal for rock music. Rush's Moving Pictures sounds like heaven. One thing I have noticed is that the UE10's really reveal bad recordings and this is most obvious with distorted guitars. I think the Sensa's may smooth out some of the weird frequencies bad recordings produce. As a result, albums with too much treble can be hard to listen to.

When you consider soundstage, iem's like the super.fi 5 pros seem to artificially create a very large soundstage. I find it interesting and pleasurable to listen to at times, but it's not an accurate representation of the recording. I tried recording with the superfi's once and it was impossible. The UE10pro's perfectly represent my recordings. Unfortunately I don't know where the Sensa's fall in this respect.

Either way you go i'm sure you'll be happy.

Nov 7, 2005 at 12:30 AM Post #27 of 33
I actually am considering the UE10s. I'm just really not sure yet. I'm waiting on the answers to a some questions from a couple of members, so when those come back, I'll see what I decide to do. However, I may not go for the Sensas just because it seems that they're significantly more difficult to insert than the UE10s or Westones due to their silicone material. I'd rather a hard material. Ah well, at least after all of this I'll be reasonably sure I'm making the right decision
icon10.gif

Nov 7, 2005 at 12:47 AM Post #28 of 33
As someone already mentioned, us Sensa owners just got tired of posting. This is going to be my first and last view of this thread.

To answer your question, I have had no problem with my Sensas to date and I have been happily using mine for a little over a year. Mine fit perfect the first time and I am very satisfied with the comfort and sound.

Nov 7, 2005 at 1:55 AM Post #29 of 33
Quote:

The wiring issue is not something that should be over looked.

I caught my UE10s once and the cable just disconnected from the unit. I was then able to reconnected it to the driver. If I had the 2xs, I am not sure what would have happened. In use UE10s in the office or at the gym and they do from time to time get caught on things. It is nice to know that you aren't distroying the connections when pulling on the driver wire.

I would add only people that own mult. IEM models should talk which model is better then another. Or that certain lines aren't worth the price difference. Anyone who just owns "one" IEM is going to be bias. I just dislike people talking about units better then other without even hearing it. Also leads to hard feelings between members. Which all that IEM listed are great models in my eyes.

I guess it makes sense when you drop over $500 dollars you have to believe you made the right choice. I just stick with review's done by people that have both models and have been around for quite sometime.

Nov 7, 2005 at 1:56 AM Post #30 of 33
edit.. nice and slow tonight..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back