Senny IE7's vs Custom (Your Advice!)
Nov 13, 2010 at 11:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

WillTFJ

New Head-Fier
Hey guys (first post, so don't take any lack of information or forum etiquette personally, just call me a noob!),

I have the Sennheiser IE7's (but they just broke, warranty replacement though! Win, although burn in starts again at 0 hrs...) and I usually use them when I'm out of the house, just running out of my iPhone 4's 3.5mm line out.

I was wondering what any seasoned headphone veterans might suggest insofar as improving my listening experience! Would I be better served by a portable amplifier or buying a new set of headphones entirely? And is a portable amp really necessary for high-end IEM's? (Most of the music I listen to is lossless (bring on the Beatles FLAC files from the Apple USB!)) Anyhow if cost wasn't particularly important;

How would a pair of custom IEM's stack up against say a top-range Universal model?
Is is better to have a professional make a mould of my ears, or does it not particularly matter?
Is an (portable) amplifier worthwhile carrying around?
What would you consider to be the top three custom and universal IEM makes currently available?

Thanks guys, I'd really value any input or advice your seasoned ears, err fingers, may be able to provide!

Nov 13, 2010 at 12:54 PM Post #2 of 2
Portable AMPs helps to get more volume, details and cleaner sound from any DAPs which has proper LINE -OUT like Sony X1060, S-flo2, iPhone 4 has and overall sound quality much improve with help of portable AMPs like P51 Mustang, D4, Pico. I think custom IEMs like JH13Pro, ES5, SM3 Pro, UE18Pro are much better than any universal but some universal IEMs are really great like GR10, SM3, UM3x, CK100 and FX700.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back