Sennseihser 595s: Yikes!
Mar 29, 2006 at 4:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

sector

New Head-Fier
One can read about headphones. I had Etymotics. I read about headphones and popped for the Senns. They came this morning.

Using nothing but AIFF files:

Just now...Moby..."Into the Blue"..."When it's cold..."

It is an almost religious experience. All consuming. The blended base is the first thing ...the fullness of sound...My wife is staring.

It HAS you. When I put them on her head...the look in her eyes said everything.

Of course, experienced headies know all about this with hi-end headphones but MAN...what a secret!

Mar 29, 2006 at 4:40 PM Post #2 of 19
Yeah i just got mine a few days ago and im well impressed,but today my Porta Corda MKIII USB arrived from Meir Audio and WOW they improve so much with amping.My only fault with the HD595 is i find them a bit "microphonic" i(i think is the word),if the cable is rubbed or tapped against something it transmits pretty easily into the earpiece,other than that they are pretty sweet,Enjoy!

Mar 29, 2006 at 4:56 PM Post #3 of 19
Congrats on the new headphones. The 595s were my first really good headphones and they're still my favorite.

Re: the microphonic cable issue. I wonder if something has changed with the cable recently or when they went to 50 Ohm? My 120 Ohm 595s isn't very microphonic at all.

Ant

Mar 29, 2006 at 4:59 PM Post #4 of 19
Haha, from "Yikes!" I thought you were disappointed. Yeah, they're very good. There's a reason I didn't ditch them when I got my Beyers.
icon10.gif

Oh, and concerning microphonics, I don't have a problem and mine are the 50 Ohm version.

Mar 29, 2006 at 5:37 PM Post #5 of 19
Mine are the 50ohm version and new,Im begining to wonder if i got a faulty phone, but id serioulsy doubt it as musically sounding its flawless.Maybe im just picky but i do listen to alot of acoustic so it probably stands out more.It seems to be the plastic used on the housing of the earpiece thats the flaw more than the cable.

Mar 29, 2006 at 5:40 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by padi89
Mine are the 50ohm version,Im begining to wonder if i got a faulty phone but id serioulsy doubt it,as musically sounding its flawless.Maybe im just picky but i do listen to alot of acoustic so it probably stands out more.

Don't worry -- mine does the same. Tap the wire, and you'll hear it in the headphones' earpiece.

HD-595's are great, congrats on the purchase! Now amp it
biggrin.gif

Mar 29, 2006 at 9:35 PM Post #9 of 19
Welcome to the 595 club. I love mine and they will never be sold even though I may own "better" cans in the future. There is just something special about them IMO.

Mar 30, 2006 at 3:48 AM Post #10 of 19
I thought I would piggyback on this thread...

I had 650, and I really enjoy the sound. I am thinking of getting 595 instead of 650 again due to its lower price. Since I already have SR60, I want to try stay as far away as the grado sound as I can.

Is 595 closer to the Grado sound than other senns? What other recommendations would you guys make? Thanks!

Mar 30, 2006 at 4:07 AM Post #11 of 19
Thanks guys!

I'm doing a bit of remastering via Amadeus II...also learning the file systems and how to make itunes do what one expects instead of what Apple wants. After the Senns, I can't see listening to mp3 stuff. AIFF all the way.

It's Moby again...I'm IN the orchestra with the organ... the female singer right next to me. I can almost see her.

Man...this is really great. The bass is what gets me...but it's the whole spectrum. I'm sure I'll start to hear more with other cans, but what a rush.

I do a WHOLE lot of computer work. 8:30 to 2PM straight, no letup and about 50 emails a day and this is a new experience altogether. No distractions now.

Thanks for the words.

chaio

Mar 30, 2006 at 4:20 AM Post #12 of 19
I have drifted back to speakers lately, but when I pick up headphones, it is usually the HD595. Wonderful little cans.

A fix for the microphonics: tie a loose knot in the cable near the cup. Only tighten it down to about 1.5 inch in diameter. This will eliminate both transverse and longitudinal vibrations. It is extremely on those obnoxious AT cables.

If you are still getting noises with the knot, you may have a loose connector. Mine was squeaking and clicking. Someone had installed it improperly. Easy to fix.

Good luck.

gerG

Mar 30, 2006 at 4:58 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by smooth_boarder

Is 595 closer to the Grado sound than other senns? What other recommendations would you guys make? Thanks!

The 595s are definitely the "Grado" of the Senns with their upfront presentation.

Apr 1, 2006 at 12:36 PM Post #15 of 19
Got some on order, hopefully they'll come Monday if they get sent today. Via Registered Post which is guaranteed 'next day delivery'.

You want a bit of burn-in sector. I'll listen to an album straight out the box, but then I'll leave them until maybe Thursday.

Ninja, whats the story about replacement cables for the 595s?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back