Senns. Grados. Now what?
Jun 13, 2008 at 4:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Tasty

Head-Fier
I've caught the bug. Again. After playing around with my HD600s and my HF1s, I'm feeling the itch to go shop for something new and exciting again... it's not that I've gotten bored of my current cans, but graduation from law school is an excellent excuse to pamper myself.
rolleyes.gif

I'm currently looking at the following headphones:

ATH W5000
Denon D5000
Sony MDR-SA5000

(Hey they're all 5000s
biggrin.gif
)

While they each have their own characteristics, I'm wondering which would present the greatest difference in terms of sound signature from my current cans. Rather than become a collector who just has lots of cans which sound the same, I'm hoping to be able to switch between all my cans and still have enough fun with all of them (hence the Senns and Grados).

Any advice? I'll gladly take recommendations for other cans as well.
biggrin.gif

Jun 13, 2008 at 5:37 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by jh4db536 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I would want to try audiotechnica AD2000's...

You should
smily_headphones1.gif
It was weeks, almost months since my DT880 and MS2i got any headtime. Even the RS1 have a hard time getting headtime. I have to force myself to use the RS1 so that I "learn" it's soundsignature, but it's hard to not put the AD2000 on.

Jun 13, 2008 at 5:46 PM Post #5 of 12
Out of your probands, the AT is the best, the Denon has the greatest musical bandwidth, and the Sony is a detail monster. Decision depends severely from your prefered genres and the question if you like pronounced bass (Denon), pronounced mids (AT) or pronounced highs (Sony).

Jun 14, 2008 at 3:19 AM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfen68 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Everyone should hear the AKG K701's at least once....

Funny you said that - I've got a friend who just got herself one... I'm just waiting for the chance to give em a listen
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by nickchen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Out of your probands, the AT is the best, the Denon has the greatest musical bandwidth, and the Sony is a detail monster. Decision depends severely from your prefered genres and the question if you like pronounced bass (Denon), pronounced mids (AT) or pronounced highs (Sony).

Very interesting. I find myself listening to just about anything from classical to metal, so to be very cliched indeed, I'm looking for an "allrouder". I must say though, that the emphasized bass on the Denons have been a tempting idea.

I'm trying very hard not to let myself upgrade my amp as well - this bout of upgraditis hurts the wallet enough as it is...
eek.gif

Jun 14, 2008 at 3:27 AM Post #7 of 12
Do the decent thing and go for an Ergo 2. Do not be shackled by the limitations of conformity.

Jun 14, 2008 at 8:41 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tasty /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find myself listening to just about anything from classical to metal, so to be very cliched indeed, I'm looking for an "allrouder". I must say though, that the emphasized bass on the Denons have been a tempting idea.

Allrounder & classical? Then the SA5K and the W5K are unsuited IMO, the Denon suits best then. However, I personally found the Denon to be only another midfi variation of the HD650 theme.

If you want an allrounder from classical to metal, I'd vote for a DT880. The K701 and the HD650 wouldn't work for metal.

Jun 16, 2008 at 6:14 AM Post #12 of 12
Hmm... been thinking about it and reading up a little more. I realize I'm actually more curious about the W5000 and the D5000 primarily because they're closed and will no doubt be an interesting change from my open cans.

Reading more and more, I'm getting the impression that the D5000s are possibly the best closed headphones out there at the moment - particularly when they've undergone the Markl mod. I do note that as nickchen has mentioned, they're sonically similar to the HD650s. That's not a problem to me persay, but if I'm looking for something that sounds different, this should steer me away from them, right?

I'm also curious as to how the closed cans (W5000, D5000) here synergize with my Keces DA151 and Gilmore Lite (which MAY very soon give way to a GS1. Impressions on that would be very much appreciated as well).

I'm very thankful for all the recommendations... it's been giving me much reading material.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back