sennheister HD595 info
Mar 26, 2006 at 2:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

sithspawn

New Head-Fier
Hey guys. First time poster, long time reader. I have been looking for a decent pair of headphones of late, and have been scoping around seriously for the past few weeks. The senn 595's have really stood out to me from the crowd. Not only for the comfort factor, but the descriptions of the sound (and I have read a HEAP of descriptions) sound to my liking.

Im just wondering if I can get a bit of info from somebody who owns a pair. Firstly, how are they for gaming? In all the descriptions I have come across, I have only found a couple that mention gaming. They both seemed favourable, but it was only a brushed over topic.

Secondly, are they really that bad at leaking noise? Obviously I expect them to leak as they are open phones, but some descriptions make it seem as though it will be as loud out of them as it is inside them. I know hardcore audio lovers will nitpick small (to me) details and make them seem big sometimes, so just wondering if I can get an 'actual user' opinion on this. Like, if I am playing a game or listening to some music around normal listening levels, will someone in the same room be SEVERELY bothered by the leakage?

And last of all, is an amp really necessary for these phones? And if so, what is a fairly decent, but low priced amp.

Cheers in advance for any info you can provide me. Will be ordering these bad boys in a few days (woohoo) and am very excited. Managed to find a place that sells them for $255. May sound expensive to you Americanites, but down here in Aussie they retail for $400, so I cant really complain about that
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 26, 2006 at 2:51 PM Post #3 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by sithspawn
Hey guys. First time poster, long time reader. I have been looking for a decent pair of headphones of late, and have been scoping around seriously for the past few weeks. The senn 595's have really stood out to me from the crowd. Not only for the comfort factor, but the descriptions of the sound (and I have read a HEAP of descriptions) sound to my liking.

Im just wondering if I can get a bit of info from somebody who owns a pair. Firstly, how are they for gaming? In all the descriptions I have come across, I have only found a couple that mention gaming. They both seemed favourable, but it was only a brushed over topic.

Secondly, are they really that bad at leaking noise? Obviously I expect them to leak as they are open phones, but some descriptions make it seem as though it will be as loud out of them as it is inside them. I know hardcore audio lovers will nitpick small (to me) details and make them seem big sometimes, so just wondering if I can get an 'actual user' opinion on this. Like, if I am playing a game or listening to some music around normal listening levels, will someone in the same room be SEVERELY bothered by the leakage?

And last of all, is an amp really necessary for these phones? And if so, what is a fairly decent, but low priced amp.

Cheers in advance for any info you can provide me. Will be ordering these bad boys in a few days (woohoo) and am very excited. Managed to find a place that sells them for $255. May sound expensive to you Americanites, but down here in Aussie they retail for $400, so I cant really complain about that
smily_headphones1.gif

Look at ATH-A900 also. No leakage problem, stunning sound, Handles surround for gaming, ear rattling bass but not owerwhelming or covering others frequencies, comfy also.

Mar 26, 2006 at 3:05 PM Post #4 of 28
Go look on eBay.co.uk, they have them for £79.99!

Bloody hell, I am tempted. The guy had got perfect feedback too.

Mar 26, 2006 at 3:12 PM Post #5 of 28
I just bought a pair and i find them excellent of 595.I was looking for a set of phones for classical and acoustic listening and i think they really excel at these types of music but they do well as an all rounder too although they are a bit lacking in base for Hip Hop and Dance.I used them playing Battlefield 2 and find them excellent at sound placement.Personally i dont think they leak alot ,not as much as my Grados but isolation is not a problem for me.I would also recommend you have a look at the Audio Technia A900 its a closed headphone(www.audiocubes.com) and is meant to be excellent at gaming and has that extra Bass.Wahtever your decision they are both great headphones and wont leave you disappointed.I purchased mine on ebay from they guy mentioned in the previous post and they were an incredible bargin.

Mar 26, 2006 at 3:18 PM Post #6 of 28
I currently own both and they are both very good cans. THe A900 for the isolation and lack of leakage, good bass,great comfort, forgiving on most types of music, easy to drive, and it excels for gaming. The HD595s are well balanced IMO. Comfortable, easy to drive, a nice upfront presentation (compared to other Senn models), good midrange (more forward than the A900s), and bass that is there but not overdone. Both see split time when I am listening to rock. The A900s are my gaming cans though. The ATs are nice for movies as well.

Mar 26, 2006 at 3:21 PM Post #7 of 28
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

Lets see, you're worried about leakage, you don't want an amp, you're going to be using these headphones for gaming, hmm. Based on that info, the HD595 is not what comes to mind. I suggest the A900. They are also amazing for music. If you can find one, an A900LTD would be even better.

Mar 26, 2006 at 3:23 PM Post #8 of 28
Thanks for your input.

Im not against sound leaking. Its to be expected from an open phone in some form or another. I actually prefer Open headphones for sound placement and such in music and games. Might just be a personal pref but thats what I have found.

Quote:

Go look on eBay.co.uk, they have them for £79.99!

80 pounds is about $200-$240 bucks australian, so I might as well kick in the extra $10 and get them brand new. The money isn't really an issue anyways. As long as they are going to sound great, be comfy and make my dinner, ill be happy.

Mar 26, 2006 at 3:45 PM Post #9 of 28
The A900 has an AMAZING soundstage. That's the beauty of it. I don't know how big it is on the 595, but ask anybody, the soundstage on the A900 is huge. That's one of the reasons it's so popular, it's a closed can with a huge soundstage.

Mar 26, 2006 at 3:47 PM Post #10 of 28
Quote:

Lets see, you're worried about leakage, you don't want an amp, you're going to be using these headphones for gaming, hmm. Based on that info, the HD595 is not what comes to mind. I suggest the A900. They are also amazing for music. If you can find one, an A900LTD would be even better.

I couldnt find an LTD, but the A900's I found for about $20 more than the senns. For some reason, they arent grabbing me the same way that the senns are.

Im not flat out against buying an amp, just wondering if it was necessary or not. As I said before, sound leaking isnt a huge problem for me, but the reviews I was reading were making it sound like it would be extreme. (to quote: "they leak like a sieve")

Ill keep looking into the A900's. Any other suggestions come to mind?

Mar 26, 2006 at 4:42 PM Post #12 of 28
Quote:

80 pounds is about $200-$240 bucks australian, so I might as well kick in the extra $10 and get them brand new.

frown.gif
Another person who thinks everything on eBay is used. That guy has 19 available, so obviously he must have bought one and got 18 spares?

His 2500 positive feedback must have been gotten from selling lots of stuff from his second-hand store.

edit - Audio Technicas can't be got many places outside Japan. The open AD series is supposedly better than the A series.

Mar 26, 2006 at 5:16 PM Post #13 of 28
While the 595s sound good without an amp, a good amp improves these cans quite dramatically from my experience. Especially in the highs. Of course being open they leak sound, but not too bad.

I have not heard the AT-A900, but if they are anything like the W1000s I would consider checking these out if your not going to use an amp. I prefer the W1000 over the 595s without amp. They were quite comparable with amp though. Even though one is open, & the other closed design.

Mar 26, 2006 at 5:28 PM Post #14 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd S
While the 595s sound good without an amp, a good amp improves these cans quite dramatically from my experience. Especially in the highs. Of course being open they leak sound, but not too bad.

I have not heard the AT-A900, but if they are anything like the W1000s I would consider checking these out if your not going to use an amp. I prefer the W1000 over the 595s without amp. They were quite comparable with amp though. Even though one is open, & the other closed design.

AFAIK people preferred A900LTD over W1000.

Mar 26, 2006 at 5:35 PM Post #15 of 28
Edit: Sorry people, I just noticed a hijack in progress. Should I take this somewhere else? Maybe I will add the HD595 to my gallery for additional reference in the comparison below. I think I will.

I am the "people"(one) that does...
biggrin.gif
evil_smiley.gif
at least one of them.

Quote:

Originally Posted by manchau
AFAIK people preferred A900LTD over W1000.

BTW, I just uploaded a comparsion into my gallery here that I found on a Japanese site of several ATH phones and added on reference from the Senn line, the HD650. This shows a bias for the ATH sound from the Japanese. Maybe, we have our own bias as a group that is decidedly different?

http://photo.head-fi.org/showphoto.p...o=8861&cat=653

HD595 comparison

http://photo.head-fi.org/showphoto.p...o=8862&cat=653

Users who are viewing this thread

Back