Sennheister 650 vs Westone UM3
Sep 8, 2009 at 10:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

gugguson

Head-Fier
Hello guys.

I have the Westone UM3 earphones which have 3 drivers. I use it a lot and I was thinking about getting Sennheiser 650 to use when I'm working at home and don't want to have earphones to block all sound around me (it is also a hastle putting them in).

I'm wondering if it is possible to compare the sound quality between full size headphones (650) vs in ear earphones like Westone UM3?

Would the sound be better overall or is the in ear sound superior?

Regards,
Johann

Sep 8, 2009 at 11:51 PM Post #4 of 8
Wow, a nice DAC/amp setup there (at least compared to the junk I have). I will say right off the bat that the HD650 will give you a completely different sensation compared to the UM3X (Westone 3, maybe?). The soundstage will be noticeably larger and you'll notice that music sounds more natural due to the open design of the HD650. I can't say I'm completely qualified to answer this question but I really do think it's a nice transition if my UM1 and HD595 are anything to go by.

Sep 9, 2009 at 8:25 AM Post #6 of 8
I wouldn't bother with the HD650 unless you plan on investing some money in a decent source/amp. I've heard both and if you're talking unamped vs unamped, the W3 probably sounds better. But with a good source/amp, the HD650 easily blows the W3 away.

Sep 9, 2009 at 9:12 AM Post #7 of 8
Hello.

My source is MacBook Pro with optical connection to V-DAC and from that to Glow Amp One tube amp. Do you think this combination is a good source/amp?

Thanks,
Johann

Quote:

Originally Posted by koven /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wouldn't bother with the HD650 unless you plan on investing some money in a decent source/amp. I've heard both and if you're talking unamped vs unamped, the W3 probably sounds better. But with a good source/amp, the HD650 easily blows the W3 away.

Sep 9, 2009 at 11:35 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by koven /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Without wishing to pick a fight , I must say this is the sort of response that raises my hackles. I have used the 650 with many different amps, integrated as well as dedicated, and it is always the 650. The idea that it sounds like something much less if not used with expensive equipment is rubbish. I'm not saying there won't be an improvement with better equipment, but the 650 is actually quite forgiving of more modest equipment.

I'm never quite sure what people mean here when they say amped or unamped. Does it mean an integrated or receiver over an ipod or MP3, or does it mean an expensive dedicated amp over an integrated or receiver?
Because of course some kind of amp is required to hear the phones at all, and a good integrated will certainly supply sufficient current; and if that integrated is a reputable brand, like NAD or Marantz, there's no reason to suppose the 650 won't sound just fine with it, especially as its 300 ohms is unlikely to cause impedance matching problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back