Sennheisers HD238 -
Mar 11, 2010 at 3:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

gabgar

New Head-Fier
I would like to add my personal experience with the HD238. I have had these for about 3 weeks now. Bought them at Best Buy for $69.95. When you first get them of course they may not sound that good so don't go off saying that , "man these suck!". You have to give them time with the "burn in" .

I hooked them up to my IMAC and let it play a variety of music from soundtracks,classical,Spanish ,Rock etc for about 10 hours + and you immediately tell a great difference. Even better when you have more than 24 hours. Also , then hooked up my Mz-m200 MD player to it to assist in the burn in process.

The Sound is Superb for headphones of this class. I had the PX100 before and they were good but this one is just in a whole new different class and the sound is RICH and very IMPRESSIVE . it even gives life to the Ipod/Iphone.

The sound will then ROCK as soon I hook it up to a portable MD player (Mz-m200). I am in heaven with that combo. I went back to experiencing music all over again and in a more glorified sense and whats great is that , if you do not have $150.00 (US) or more to spend on good sounding quality headphones, these Sennheisers will fit just well!

In my book, they deliver Exceptionally Excellent sound for a reasonable Price. They sound way much better than the Sony NC-60's that I sold. They were good for noise cancellation but , being closed , it just didn't sound to good to me.

the build quality is reasonable but they are not all shabby and seen worse ones even at higher prices. The Plastics are of high grade or at least that it the feel and impression I get. They are also very Comfortable and I wear glasses. This could be different for others but I have no problem.

Mar 12, 2010 at 6:45 AM Post #2 of 15
Thank you for taking the time to write an excellent review. Glad you are enjoying your new headphones!

Mar 15, 2010 at 2:59 PM Post #3 of 15
Enjoy your Senns! I remember I loved them right out of the box, they're just so involving and fun to listen to. Too bad I had to sell them and get some closed ones. They're useless as portables in the city..
frown.gif

OTOH, I couldn't go back to them, not detailed enough and kinda grainy to my ears after listening to better stuff.

Mar 15, 2010 at 3:09 PM Post #4 of 15
Here is my full review back when I first got my HD238 last year:

Sennheiser HD 238 Precision Review - Portable Epicness

"Now here comes the juicy part. Out of the box, the HD 238 sounds… wrong. Initially, I thought these were a defective or fake pair, but these really are the real deal judging from its looks and the box description. As an HD 555 owner, I immediately felt the HD 238 to be very narrow, bloated on the bass, and too sibilant. I got very disappointed in these cans.

However, burn-in saved the day. By leaving my pair playing music from my iPod and Fiio E5 for some hours, I felt a significant difference of sound quality from my initial testing. The treble harshness diminished a bit, the bass got tighter, and the midbass presence got more forward. After a few more days of playing tracks to the HD 238’s, I made a serious listening session to evaluate its sound quality."

"Overall, the HD 238 is a very good headphone. Don’t be put off by its flimsy construction, as it can actually take a beating and of course, its sound quality is what we all want here. It has many good points as well as shortcomings, but it still performs unexpectedly well for its size and price. Highly recommended by many like me, you guys ought to get the HD 238."

The HD238 really is a great bang-for-buck can. Enjoy your pair, buddy.
biggrin.gif

Mar 15, 2010 at 4:46 PM Post #6 of 15
Great review SovietJJ. (just finished reading it)

Been listening more to my HD238 Senns here lately and still very IMPRESS with them.

Was listening to Sting's "Englishman in New York' from a recording that I had done a few years back on an older Sony MDS-Jb920 Minidisc Deck. (boy i miss that thing).... and listened through it via the MZ-M200 and also the MZ-Nh600D minidisc players...

I had almost forgot how good that track sounded since I had been using the Iphone ,listening to Sting's greatest hits.

The highs are very present ,the soundstage is just to me phenomenal....
Im very happy with this purchase.

Mar 15, 2010 at 7:39 PM Post #7 of 15
Soundstage is really superb considering the 238 is a peewee pair of cans. I gave it to my dad for him to enjoy his songs with his iPhone 3Gs. So far, he is stoked with the transparency and sound quality of this little pair.
biggrin.gif

May 15, 2010 at 6:23 PM Post #8 of 15
I just got home from a trip to Charleston. Stopped into Best Buy, low and behold they were clearing these out for $34.95. I of course picked up one of the 2 remaining sets and are listening as I type this. I agree with the bloated bass but find the highs and mids very crisp and not sybilant. I am sure the bass will tame a bit with burn in. I have a pair of pmx100 and tend to reach for them for quick listening and dvd's on the laptop but am sure I have found thier replacement....so far loving them.

May 15, 2010 at 9:10 PM Post #9 of 15

Quote:
I just got home from a trip to Charleston. Stopped into Best Buy, low and behold they were clearing these out for $34.95. I of course picked up one of the 2 remaining sets and are listening as I type this. I agree with the bloated bass but find the highs and mids very crisp and not sybilant. I am sure the bass will tame a bit with burn in. I have a pair of pmx100 and tend to reach for them for quick listening and dvd's on the laptop but am sure I have found thier replacement....so far loving them.

Man - I just picked up a pair at my local Best Buy here in Arkansas.  They were marked $41.99 on the rack, but rung up at $34.95.  What a deal!  These headphones are really outstanding - especially at this great close out price.

Jun 15, 2010 at 1:34 AM Post #11 of 15
I think they're great little cans, too, for the price (about US$140 here in South Korea). But I agree with the comment earlier about the cable. My girlfriend had to get hers fixed because it crapped out near the plug. This was after only about four months' use.

Aug 17, 2010 at 8:36 PM Post #12 of 15
I have to agree about the cable...long and flimsy and seems to get wrapped and snagged a lot.  I am surprised I have not broke it yet... otherwise good sound from a relatively low cost can.  I thought I was getting a deal for $69. at Best Buy.

Sep 1, 2010 at 7:00 PM Post #13 of 15
The Sennheiser HD 238s are the first set of headphones I ever bought after I really became interested in listening to music, and I most sincerely agree that they are the best headphones of their class and price. I experience very little fatigue after wearing the HD238s even after hours of continuous use.

Nov 30, 2011 at 12:27 AM Post #14 of 15
These are very easy to listen to headphones. Extremely consumer friendly, and in all honesty I enjoy these a lot. I can just put them on for a few hours and do not mind at all. They definitely need the burn in though. If you can get them for less than 45 or so, they are well worth it.

Nov 30, 2011 at 1:12 AM Post #15 of 15
The HD238 is comfortable for extended wear while I am busy with my programming tasks. However, the midrange response is relatively muted or veiled. I also have the ATH-M50 which are not so comfortable. However, there is a better sound stage and a solid bass response. One is on-ear, the other is over-ear. Not a fair comparison, but all I have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back