Sennheiser x Massdrop PC37X Review & Discussion
Oct 14, 2018 at 12:02 PM Post #151 of 169
Has anyone tried using these with Xonar STX rather than the GSX 1000?

Trying to find a good dac that will synergize with this

Apr 13, 2019 at 8:51 AM Post #152 of 169
I’m a music lover and a PC gamer. I’ve tried ModMic setup before but I really hate dealing with the cable mess that comes with it.

PREFERENCES/BIASES
I like a relatively neutral sounding system that slightly leans to the warm side. My favourite pair of headphones is LCD-X for its amazing bass and energetic sound. On a lazy Sunday, I like to put on my Fitear TG334 to listen to some slow acoustic songs.

My usual listening gear is usually Onkyo DP X1 > Chord Hugo > Liquid Carbon > LCD-X.

SOUNDSTAGE AND IMAGING
To put it shortly, it’s decently wide but lacks depth. Imaging is very good for its price, but doesn’t really punch above its class.

OVERALL PRESENTATION (TL;DR)
Laid back sound with rich bass and intimate midrange. Very good soundstage and imaging for its price.

GAMING PERFORMANCE
In FPS games like CS:GO, the sound is really immersive thanks to its rich bass while still being accurate thanks to its very good midrange. In RPGs like Skyrim, the dialogue is very clear thanks to (once again) its midrange. For Dota 2, well, it’s hard to sound bad in Dota 2.

[+] Rich, controlled, and tight bass for immersive sound
[+] Detailed and intimate midrange for competitive advantage in games
[+] Great microphone
[+] Great value for money
[-] The “Sennheiser Veil” is present. Too much upper bass and does not extend very low at the sub-bass region.
[-] The treble is too relaxed

G'day Callizer.

Looks like we have similar tastes, LCD-X is on my "up there" list too.

PC37X's are available again, early April 2019. As I'm in Sydney, can't really audition them, but at that price...

How are they holding up for you, over a year later?

Cheers.

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2019 at 9:25 PM Post #153 of 169
G'day Callizer.

PC37X's are available again, early April 2019. As I'm in Sydney, can't really audition them, but at that price...

Cheers.
It still think it's an excellent value of money. Admittedly I haven't tried any other gaming headphones in the past year including the Audeze Mobius, so I do not know if there are better performing competitors out there.

If you want a headset, go for it. If you want a good value headphone (without mic), I'd say go for something like HD6XX instead.

Apr 14, 2019 at 2:16 AM Post #154 of 169
It still think it's an excellent value of money. Admittedly I haven't tried any other gaming headphones in the past year including the Audeze Mobius, so I do not know if there are better performing competitors out there.

If you want a headset, go for it. If you want a good value headphone (without mic), I'd say go for something like HD6XX instead.

Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Yeah, I already have the Cooler Master MH752 - w very handy usb dac/mic/mute quasi 7.1, the last being quite nice on movies and well recorded TV shows, like ST Discovery. (Thanks Zeos).

PC37X was as a "backup" for when my 12 year old is at my place, playing Fortnite Duo's - side by side in the 'gaming' room.

We play rarely, (2 to 4 hours over the whole weekend) but competitively, and call out situational awareness updates to each other every 5 to 10 seconds, so the open back would make hearing my son's plays easy.

But.

Given the PC37X's total price to Sydney is currently north of AUD $200, and a new Mobius is around AUD $500, (and has come a looong way with firmware updates), I think the Mobius's planar goodness wins this round.

Wonder if we'll be able to "dial in" our own soundstage and eq at some stage? That would make the Mobius a genuinely scary product. (for the industry).

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2019 at 6:46 PM Post #155 of 169
G'day Callizer.

Cheers.

Are you able to audition the Sennheiser HD 599 (the newer one, not the older HD 598)? It basically sounds just like that, except a tiny bit more treble.

They are very solid for gaming (you can find my review here on Head-Fi and Massdrop), and after two years with my pre-drop sample Massdrop sent me, they are are still my most used headphone (mostly for gaming, also great for conference calls and voice dubs in videos because the mic stays a constant distance from my mouth, surprised that they were so enjoyable with music too but I shouldn’t have been). My right earcup sometimes stops making sound though, and I have to tap the volume dial a few times to get the sound back and then I’m good for the rest of the session wearing them. 2 year warranty that I probably should have taken advantage of in January, haha.

Edit: Oh man, I forgot that this was MY thread. So yeah, my review is on the first page of this thread, haha A few other opinions too, so you don’t have to just take my word (and perspective) on it. A few months after the review, I actually became a consultant for Sennheiser, so I stopped writing reviews and posted a lot less.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2019 at 7:05 PM Post #156 of 169
Thank you for taking the time to respond.

Yeah, I already have the Cooler Master MH752 - w very handy usb dac/mic/mute quasi 7.1, the last being quite nice on movies and well recorded TV shows, like ST Discovery. (Thanks Zeos).

PC37X was as a "backup" for when my 12 year old is at my place, playing Fortnite Duo's - side by side in the 'gaming' room.

We play rarely, (2 to 4 hours over the whole weekend) but competitively, and call out situational awareness updates to each other every 5 to 10 seconds, so the open back would make hearing my son's plays easy.

But.

Given the PC37X's total price to Sydney is currently north of AUD $200, and a new Mobius is around AUD $500, (and has come a looong way with firmware updates), I think the Mobius's planar goodness wins this round.

Wonder if we'll be able to "dial in" our own soundstage and eq at some stage? That would make the Mobius a genuinely scary product. (for the industry).

I can’t write opinions, but I downloaded the Audeze app for my Mobius and was able to customize the 3D effect by entering my head measurements.

Having Bluetooth options is convenient, but wired sounds especially better when you are using chat too. The PC37X is less than half the price, so definitely shouldn’t be disregarded. Some more facts that aren’t opinions:

Mobius weighs more, is closed back, has a DSP and head-tracking built in.

PC37X is lighter and allows more thermal dissipation, larger pads. It does not come with a Surround DSP, but it can be connected to just about anything.

Aug 28, 2019 at 11:11 PM Post #157 of 169
good day! what pads can I use in replacing the ones on the pc37x?

Aug 29, 2019 at 6:08 PM Post #158 of 169
good day! what pads can I use in replacing the ones on the pc37x?
Anything compatible with the HD 598, 599, or Game One will also be good pads to use on the PC37X.
How are things in the Philippines? I’ve never been there!

Sep 25, 2019 at 7:21 PM Post #159 of 169
Anything compatible with the HD 598, 599, or Game One will also be good pads to use on the PC37X.
How are things in the Philippines? I’ve never been there!

Thank you!

Things are doing great here! If youre planning to have a vacation here, I would suggest the lesser commercialized places. They're more serene compared to the usual spots :)

Dec 1, 2019 at 5:59 PM Post #160 of 169
Finally finished the review for Dekoni Choice Leather pads for PC37X. It's available here

Jan 21, 2020 at 6:45 PM Post #161 of 169
Hi, is the headband of the PC37X removable and reattachable?

Feb 15, 2020 at 8:04 AM Post #164 of 169
That's an insane price. I wouldn't even look at any other headset at this point, anywhere near this price range.

Apr 29, 2020 at 3:21 PM Post #165 of 169
Question about the PC37X, Sorry if it has been discussed already not finding it.

Has anyone used a USB AMP/DAC with these and then plugged the microphone into the motherboard of your PC? I was going to use a 3.5mm extension cable plugged in to my motherboard mic input and then plug the headphone side into my CMA600i USB AMP/DAC. I have had issues doing this with some gaming headsets in the past with other DACs because it causes feedback, static and electrical noise depending on how the microphone is internally grounded.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back