Sennheiser x Massdrop PC37X Review & Discussion
Jan 18, 2017 at 1:07 PM Post #46 of 169
How deep/shallow are the ear cups?

Pretty deep, and the oval shape is great. Over a centimeter, like three-quarters of an inch deep, same as all the HD5xx series pads (the pad used is the same). Sorry, my wife used the tape measure and didn't put it back in it's home (the drawer), so I can't find it. Here's a picture with a quarter for scale:

So, you can see, about as much depth as a US quarter is tall.

EV, how's this one compared to the V-Moda M-100?

Far more comfortable stock pads! They're not very similar really, will appeal to different people.
Sennheiser PC37X vs V-Moda M-100
Open vs Closed
Small treble boost, smaller bass boost vs 6-7dB bass boost that is noticably strong
Wearing comfort: 4 hours vs 30 minutes (I hear XL pads help, sold separately)
Integrated Mic vs in-line mic (BoomPro sold separately)
Fixed vs folding earcups
Function headphone vs Fashion headphone

Now, some similarities, still PC37X vs M-100:
Tight clamp vs firm clamp
Attention to design detail vs Attention to design detail

This habits is going to make me boycottt Sennheiser products. Their cables are cheap and made by a third party. I have tried hq additional cables that significantly made the sound of my HD598 much better.

Well, 2 things.
1.) Aftermarket cables are almost always going to be better. Sennheiser has a certain budget and wants products to reach a certain price, and many people don't believe in cables making a difference, so they sell with OK cables.

2.) You still have the option to get 3rd party cables. Sure, you may have to order them custom, but the connectors are out there and some prefab cables exist too. Also, unlike hardwired cables, at least Sennheiser often makes the cables detachable so you can easily fix or upgrade cables without cracking open the earcups and voiding a warranty.

Jan 18, 2017 at 3:56 PM Post #49 of 169
Are these anywhere as good as Beyerdynamic DT880 in sound? I'm in the market for a mic. Am I better off getting a modmic and attaching it to my DT880 (would add a 3rd wire) or getting a headset like PC37X with mic already attached on the one wire?

Jan 18, 2017 at 4:00 PM Post #50 of 169
Are these anywhere as good as Beyerdynamic DT880 in sound? I'm in the market for a mic. Am I better off getting a modmic and attaching it to my DT880 (would add a 3rd wire) or getting a headset like PC37X with mic already attached on the one wire?

Haven't heard the DT880 but according to Amazon they cost ~$180 + additional $70 for the ModMic. PC37X is less than half that at $120 so there is that.

Jan 18, 2017 at 4:23 PM Post #51 of 169
Nice reviews guys! Thanks for taking the time. I'm actually surprised this drop is still going. Thought they would sell out faster. I decided to pass on these since I already have a pair of 598's with a boom mic and these would redundant. All my headphones are open back anyways and I think I need a pair of Fostex TH-X00's

Jan 19, 2017 at 1:35 AM Post #52 of 169
Thanks Yethal and Evshrug, great reviews that cost me $120, lol. It'll motivate me to setup my Mixamp again.

I will do a comparison with these versus what else I have. May thin the herd now. I have so many headphones it's insane. I just have a feeling i may like these a ton.

Jan 19, 2017 at 2:32 AM Post #53 of 169
Just switched back to the HD800... it was almost a shock how much less bass the HD800 has! I mean, very airy, better imaging and detail, but WOW what a difference. Two totally different headphones (complimentary?)

Jan 19, 2017 at 8:36 AM Post #54 of 169
Just switched back to the HD800... it was almost a shock how much less bass the HD800 has! I mean, very airy, better imaging and detail, but WOW what a difference. Two totally different headphones (complimentary?)

Do you get to keep them?

Jan 20, 2017 at 5:56 AM Post #55 of 169
Do you get to keep them?

Dunno, I sent an email to Mike from Massdrop with this very question. Wouldn't want things to get awkward.

Also, I recorded a microphone sample of the PC37X using the microphone input of my X7 (Noise reduction on, all other enhancements off). You can download it here.

Jan 20, 2017 at 2:24 PM Post #56 of 169

Dunno, I sent an email to Mike from Massdrop with this very question. Wouldn't want things to get awkward.

Also, I recorded a microphone sample of the PC37X using the microphone input of my X7 (Noise reduction on, all other enhancements off). You can download it here.

Hopefully they just let you keep them with the caveat that you can not sell them. You are not reviewing a $1000 headphone, so the $119 sale price really isn't going to kill them as their cost is much cheaper. It's advertising and it was successful. I literally bought them after reading your review along with Evshrug's. they sold out the 1,200 they had allotted and are gearing up for a second run. I would imagine the second run, will be after the first run is in people's hands, and reviews/impressions from everyone start hitting. 

On a side note, I don't think there is going to be a second Sennheiser HD6XX drop. I would think something would have come out by now, and it is dead silent. They sell out the PC37X and they are already talking a second drop. There are rumors of the HD650 being discontinued, and hopefully we get a revised HD650 this year. I think Sennheiser can make a killer $300-$350 street price headphone today. Trickle down the tech in the 700 and 800 series, but keep the sound signature familiar to the 600 series. 

Jan 20, 2017 at 2:53 PM Post #57 of 169

Hopefully they just let you keep them with the caveat that you can not sell them. You are not reviewing a $1000 headphone, so the $119 sale price really isn't going to kill them as their cost is much cheaper. It's advertising and it was successful. I literally bought them after reading your review along with Evshrug's. they sold out the 1,200 they had allotted and are gearing up for a second run. I would imagine the second run, will be after the first run is in people's hands, and reviews/impressions from everyone start hitting. 

On a side note, I don't think there is going to be a second Sennheiser HD6XX drop. I would think something would have come out by now, and it is dead silent. They sell out the PC37X and they are already talking a second drop. There are rumors of the HD650 being discontinued, and hopefully we get a revised HD650 this year. I think Sennheiser can make a killer $300-$350 street price headphone today. Trickle down the tech in the 700 and 800 series, but keep the sound signature familiar to the 600 series. 

I asked Mike from Masdrop over email and he said that we can keep them. Which is handy since I plan to actually use it for gaming, positional cues are better than COP.

Jan 20, 2017 at 7:35 PM Post #58 of 169
I asked Mike from Masdrop over email and he said that we can keep them. Which is handy since I plan to actually use it for gaming, positional cues are better than COP.

Nice! Glad they let you keep them. I'm sure your review sold a lot of units.

Jan 20, 2017 at 10:27 PM Post #60 of 169

Well thanks, I was wondering too. And I agree regarding the Custom One Pro... A/B listen to them and the Sennheiser has less veil in the sound, though the COP is still a good headphone.

Used to own the DT880, but I only kept them for a month. The DT880 is a very different flavor of headphone. Has a decent bass extension into the low ranges and has a natural emphasis, mild mid recession, and a fairly strong treble spike. It made my ears ring and my head hurt a bit, but if your ears aren't sensitive then the overall sound signature will still seem a bit thin and tinny compared to the full, more v-shaped PC37X.

The Headset has a noticeable midbass hump for a warm sound signature and a little treble energy too to balance it out (but not centered on a small frequency range sharply rising).

The PC37X will be more pleasing and have more "wow" factor for the mainstream, the DT880 is more air-y and neutral-ish like a less refined Sennheiser HD800 in character. I only recommend the DT880 if you want a more analytical headphone and don't have treble sensitivity... which most people eventually develop with age.

Nice reviews guys! Thanks for taking the time. I'm actually surprised this drop is still going. Thought they would sell out faster. I decided to pass on these since I already have a pair of 598's with a boom mic and these would redundant. All my headphones are open back anyways and I think I need a pair of Fostex TH-X00's

As a headphone for contrast (and to have a nice closed headphone), after I get cable upgrades, I've been looking at the TH-X00 or E-MU Teak, but it's not a very high priority at the moment. Good stuff about those headphones, loved the TH900 I heard at RMAF 2015!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back