Sennheiser x Massdrop HD6XX Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Oct 13, 2017 at 10:56 AM Post #3,571 of 4,141
Think about this. A phone takes a 8 megapixel image, so does a DSLR. Are the two images of same quality? The pixel count is the same, right. A DSLR has better dynamic range, noise handling, low light performance. Same is the case with average power and decibel level. It's just a part, and as has been reiterated countless times in different forums, only a small part of the equation. Average power doesn't say anything about how the transients will sound, or the soundstage, or the impact, all of which dramatically improve with a powerful amp. The reason HD650 has such a high impedance is, it can handle the extra power of the amps and improve its sound. If loudness is the only parameter sought, why even bother getting a 300 ohms headphone. Why not get a cheaper low impedance one.

Yes a more powerful amp may be useful for higher level listening (more than 100db).

Do yourself a favor. Never ever do that, listen at more than 70-80db for sustained period of time. Then you will not need any amp, or headphone for that matter, once you lose hearing. People who get powerful amps don't do so to listen at inhuman decibel levels, the idea is to improve sound quality (I.e. Distortion, slam, soundstage, etc.), not necessarily the loudness.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2017 at 11:12 AM Post #3,572 of 4,141
I'm thinking of making a custom order with Ghent.

does the balanced cable + balanced amp really help?

the HD6XX aren't using 3.5mm plugs right (at the headphone end)?
It depends, do you have a quality balanced amp ? If so yes, in my opinion it can help. It may not be worth the price of admission for some to invest in a good balanced cable and amp. For me it was, it is not night & day but I find it is a step up in quality of sound.
No, the the 650 headphone end plugs are not 3.5mm they use their own type plug.

Oct 13, 2017 at 11:39 AM Post #3,573 of 4,141
Okay, I'm finally in on the latest drop. Looking forward to hearing what all the fuss is about. For the record, I'm pretty sure my amps and DAC will do just fine...

Oct 13, 2017 at 12:15 PM Post #3,574 of 4,141
Think about this. A phone takes a 8 megapixel image, so does a DSLR. Are the two images of same quality? The pixel count is the same, right. A DSLR has better dynamic range, noise handling, low light performance. Same is the case with average power and decibel level. It's just a part, and as has been reiterated countless times in different forums, only a small part of the equation. Average power doesn't say anything about how the transients will sound, or the soundstage, or the impact, all of which dramatically improve with a powerful amp. The reason HD650 has such a high impedance is, it can handle the extra power of the amps and improve its sound. If loudness is the only parameter sought, why even bother getting a 300 ohms headphone. Why not get a cheaper low impedance one.

Do yourself a favor. Never ever do that, listen at more than 70-80db for sustained period of time. Then you will not need any amp, or headphone for that matter, once you lose hearing. People who get powerful amps don't do so to listen at inhuman decibel levels, the idea is to improve sound quality (I.e. Distortion, slam, soundstage, etc.), not necessarily the loudness.

I agree, my whole point is that the HD650 is not that difficult to drive and doesn’t need a whole lot of power. The HD660s may have a lower impedance, it is not that different in terms of power needed to drive them. The benefit of the HD660s with 150 ohms and 104db/v versus the HD650 with 300 ohms and 103db/v is minimal in terms of power requirements. I don’t buy in into the advertized benefit of the HD660s on that ground. However, maybe the HD660s has a different tuning that makes it favorable to the HD650 for certain persons, like improved sub bass or other. I also agree on the quality advantage of using external amps, not just for higher sound levels. I own a Dragonfly Red and an O2 amp for that matter (although budget external Amps). But I do not believe that the HD660s solves an issue compared to the HD650 on the fact that one is more « portable friendly » than the other. Both may be used without an amp with Apple products and both will benefit from external amping. I just don’t buy the fact that the HD600s is a lot better than the HD650 with lower powered portable devices. Both are relatively easy to power, both are high impedance headphones, and both will benefit from external amping, and I may affirm this even without having heard yet the HD660s, simply based on its basic specifications released by Sennheiser. As for most people on this board however, I haven’t had the chance to listen to the HD660s and therefore I do not yet know what is the difference between the two in terms of sound quality, sound signature, sound balancing, whatever you may call this....

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2017 at 1:14 PM Post #3,576 of 4,141
oh boy im tempted to buy these..but then theres the 660s coming, new audeze, new hifiman

duh

oh i forgot aeon open ._,

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #3,579 of 4,141
I have owned HD580's for more than 10 years - should I upgrade to the HD6XX. I have not found a lot of reviews that pit these two together, usually all the discussion is about HD600 vs HD650...

Would love some opinions!

Oct 13, 2017 at 7:18 PM Post #3,580 of 4,141
I have owned HD580's for more than 10 years - should I upgrade to the HD6XX. I have not found a lot of reviews that pit these two together, usually all the discussion is about HD600 vs HD650...

Would love some opinions!

I have both. I use the 6xx for most movie watching, but the 580s for 80-90% of my music listening. They are noticeably different, but not night and day and the difference is personal presence. My preference is the 580s since I find them a little clearer in the mids, but less impactful in the bass. I could live with either.

I believe I have a second gen pair of 580s if that helps. They have printed labels and say made in Ireland.

Oct 14, 2017 at 1:20 AM Post #3,581 of 4,141
It depends, do you have a quality balanced amp ? If so yes, in my opinion it can help. It may not be worth the price of admission for some to invest in a good balanced cable and amp. For me it was, it is not night & day but I find it is a step up in quality of sound.
No, the the 650 headphone end plugs are not 3.5mm they use their own type plug.

thanks! hopefully Ghentaudio has those 2-pin plugs for a custom cable

Users who are viewing this thread

Back