Sennheiser x Massdrop HD6XX Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Aug 12, 2017 at 4:55 PM Post #3,556 of 4,141
@PinkyPowers @ahmadfaizadnan Thanks for the replies, that is very irritating. Mine was an early model, within the first 300 off the line, makes me wonder if getting an earlier serial is actually a disadvantage. Probably not worth contacting Massdrop at this point, may have to just suck it up and buy a new set....sigh :triportsad:
It is covered under Sennheiser 2 year warranty. For warranty service contact Sennheiser as described in the HD-6XX owner booklet (i.e. through sennheiser.com, except for Australia). They have good customer service and I'd imagine they would send you a replacement pad without any hassle.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2017 at 4:57 PM Post #3,557 of 4,141
Right. I just contacted Massdrop support to see if they are willing to replace them :)

Good thinking. You can also contact Sennheiser. They're far more likely to sort you out than Massdrop. But maybe you'll get somewhere.

Aug 12, 2017 at 4:59 PM Post #3,558 of 4,141
I've seen someone else here that had the same issue with one flattened pad. They got a free replacement from Sennheiser so it should be no issue in your case either.

Oct 13, 2017 at 12:58 AM Post #3,559 of 4,141
Oct 13, 2017 at 3:36 AM Post #3,566 of 4,141
Buy or wait for HD660S?

Difficult to know! I wasn't the biggest HD6XX fan and am still not 100% sold. But out of certain sources and when turned up really loud it does sound great, if a little polite. Even sources as cheap as the Apogee Duet make it sound really good. When underpowered, it's kinda.... slow. Veiled. It's still fine, it obviously surpasses the HD598 or something... it's just not much more exciting.

Whereas it seems the HD660S is designed to be easier to drive. Tbh, I don't think the HD6XX is a deal. The gear you need to drive it is too expensive, and without it, it's not a value. I can't think of another headphone that is so amp-dependent. Whereas the HD660S may or may not be better in other ways, but it should at least be easier to drive, based on the literature and specs. So value-wise.... it's hard to say, despite the price difference. Beyond that, it's impossible for me to say. Because I don't think the HD660S has been out for long? I haven't tried it, and I haven't met anyone who owns one yet. In fact this is about the first I've heard of it.

And even beyond that, the HD650 sounds great turned up loud but it's boring at low volumes. Whereas Grados can be piercing loud, but they sound great at low volumes.

Then there's a matter of hearing loss and subjective preference.

So.... it's gonna be subjective. In terms of sound and value. But if you have a very very good amp and DAC, I feel comfortable recommending the HD6XX. Even without them, not bad.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2017 at 4:58 AM Post #3,567 of 4,141
Perfect answer! I’m not sure I care for having an external amp to drive the HD6xx so I may just wait until the HD660S is on sale for under $300. After all this time Sennheiser must have made some improvements to the sound. Although, HD660S hasn’t been even officially released yet...

Oct 13, 2017 at 9:02 AM Post #3,568 of 4,141
did anyone get custom audio cables for their HD6XX?

Nope, I have a brand new stock HD650 cable still in the package that I'm probably going to use if the HD6XX cable is too short as I prefer the longer cable for my setups. I also like the sound of the stock cable just fine. My Amps and DACs are well suited for the HD650/HD6XX headphones.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2017 at 10:14 AM Post #3,570 of 4,141
First of all, it is not true that the HD650 needs a lot of power and is not easy to drive. Although it is a 300 ohms headphone, and maybe higher than that at certain low frequencies, with a SPL spec of 103 db/1vrms, it needs very low power to be driven to reasonnable volume level. In order to attain 100db of volume, it needs 0,71v and 2.37ma, which is 1.68mw of power. For 110db, it needs 2.24v, 7.47ma which is 16.7mw. Even an iPhone and an iPad has enough power to drive them to reasonnable levels (100 db). Yes a more powerful amp or DAC/amp may be usefull for higher level listening and the required higher voltage needed (The iPhone and iPad don’t produce more than 0.9v of voltage output if I recall).
Check this calculator using the aforementioned specs of the HD650:
http://www.digizoid.com/headphones-power.html
Second, the new HD660s is not what we could call a low impedance headphone at 150 ohms. It is lower than the HD690/650/6xx, but still a high impedance headphone. At a SPL rating of 104db/1Vrms, it is quite similar the the HD650. In order to attain 100db volume only 0.63v and 4.2 ma, which is 2.65mw of power, which is more total power required than for the HD650 for the same db volume level (although the HD650 needs a little more voltage). For 110db, it needs 2v, 13.3ma which is 26.7mw, again the voltage needed is typical of a DAC/amp but higher than what an iPhone or iPad may produce. But who is crazy enough to listen to music at these crazy levels? The headphones will not be able to go to 110db for very long periods and your ear will not sustain such high level for very long periods...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back