Sennheiser x Massdrop HD6XX Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Jan 27, 2017 at 11:25 AM Post #3,062 of 4,141
I only listen to songs on YouTube. So no mastered albums and whatnot that make use of sound separation and stuff -- would HD6xx's still sound much better than my current HyperX Cloud2s if my songs are all YT quality?

Jan 27, 2017 at 12:54 PM Post #3,063 of 4,141
  I only listen to songs on YouTube. So no mastered albums and whatnot that make use of sound separation and stuff -- would HD6xx's still sound much better than my current HyperX Cloud2s if my songs are all YT quality?

Honestly, it depends on the YouTube video. Some YT videos at their highest-quality settings will give you very very good sound quality. I've never heard the HyperX cloud2s, but they are likely not up to the 600/650/6xx quality - if they were, we'd know about it :wink:  - as any headphone remotely close to the HD6xx series is going to have its fans here at head-fi.

You may need an amp to power them. if you'd like to enjoy both music and use these for gaming, perhaps check out Sennheiser's new audio card GSX 1000. Add a mod mic and you are good to csgo...

Jan 27, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #3,064 of 4,141
  Some YT videos at their highest-quality settings will give you very very good sound quality.

I've never even heard of YouTube videos getting close to 320 Kbps on the audio front. Do you have a source for it being 'very, very good'?

I'm not trying to be a jack-ass, I'm just intrigued. 

Jan 27, 2017 at 1:42 PM Post #3,065 of 4,141

The short answer is yes. But my suggestion would be to look at some lower end stuff first to see if you even want to think about getting into higher end audio. My guess is you listen through your computer audio jack? This would limit their performance greatly. IF you bought the HD6XX (and they aren't available outside of ebay and such right now), you would want to upgrade your audio chain, which will cost a lot of money.

I would start with something like the Sennheiser HD558 as they are an excellent headphone that will serve many purposes and will be more forgiving of lower end gear and YT music (but if you want lost of bass look elsewhere). They are on sale at bestbuy right now for a very good price, and are an open headphone that will give you a very good idea of what it will be like to have an HD6XX. They aren't for everyone, depending on your willingness to bleed sound and to spend money on other gear.

Jan 27, 2017 at 1:56 PM Post #3,066 of 4,141
  Honestly, it depends on the YouTube video. Some YT videos at their highest-quality settings will give you very very good sound quality. I've never heard the HyperX cloud2s, but they are likely not up to the 600/650/6xx quality - if they were, we'd know about it :wink:  - as any headphone remotely close to the HD6xx series is going to have its fans here at head-fi.

You may need an amp to power them. if you'd like to enjoy both music and use these for gaming, perhaps check out Sennheiser's new audio card GSX 1000. Add a mod mic and you are good to csgo...

The short answer is yes. But my suggestion would be to look at some lower end stuff first to see if you even want to think about getting into higher end audio. My guess is you listen through your computer audio jack? This would limit their performance greatly. IF you bought the HD6XX (and they aren't available outside of ebay and such right now), you would want to upgrade your audio chain, which will cost a lot of money.

I would start with something like the Sennheiser HD558 as they are an excellent headphone that will serve many purposes and will be more forgiving of lower end gear and YT music (but if you want lost of bass look elsewhere). They are on sale at bestbuy right now for a very good price, and are an open headphone that will give you a very good idea of what it will be like to have an HD6XX. They aren't for everyone, depending on your willingness to bleed sound and to spend money on other gear.

Thank you guys, one of my friends is offering to sell them so I'm strongly considering buying it with a Schiit stack.

Jan 27, 2017 at 2:07 PM Post #3,067 of 4,141

Thank you guys, one of my friends is offering to sell them so I'm strongly considering buying it with a Schiit stack.

The HD6XX and a Schiit stack would be a great combo, but they will reveal flaws in poorly encoded music. You might think of getting a Tidal subscription. Even Google Music (which is included with YouTube Red) would be a good step up. 

Jan 27, 2017 at 2:17 PM Post #3,068 of 4,141

The HD6XX and a Schiit stack would be a great combo, but they will reveal flaws in poorly encoded music. You might think of getting a Tidal subscription. Even Google Music (which is included with YouTube Red) would be a good step up. 

Yep this. If you are willing to spend on the stack (consider the Vali over the Magni IMO for the HD6XX) then you should also consider a decent music subscription service. Tidal is the best streaming service in terms of quality, but I use spotify high quality and I think it is great for most casual listening. Any serious listening and really you should either pony up for Tidal or buy CDs/records. 

Jan 27, 2017 at 2:40 PM Post #3,069 of 4,141

I've never even heard of YouTube videos getting close to 320 Kbps on the audio front. Do you have a source for it being 'very, very good'?

I'm not trying to be a jack-ass, I'm just intrigued. 

Hi Kalavere, good question! Of course, its not going to be redbook quality or even 320kbps quality. To be clear, depending on the listener and the recording, they may be very happy with the audio quality that is offered and be able to enjoy it. Yes, there are some artifacts within the compression that may be audible for certain videos at different sizes. In 2015 youTube changed how it handles audio and video. So newer videos are better in this respect. Also, they are using AAC for audio which generally is better than Mp3 at similar variable compression rates. 

For your average listening 192 kpbs and up AAC is very very good in my opinion, and enough that an HD6xx will bring out the best of what is there. it will still be a better listening experience than some lower grade of headphones. And hopefully, will get them interested in listening to better source files, and more importantly a wider range of recorded music.

You can inspect what the bit-rate is for a youtube track here:https://www.h3xed.com/blogmedia/youtube-info.php

The full low-down https://www.h3xed.com/web-and-internet/youtube-audio-quality-bitrate-240p-360p-480p-720p-1080p

recorded right off someone's turntable: 

Classical recording:

Electronic music :

Jan 27, 2017 at 5:47 PM Post #3,071 of 4,141

Though I haven't personally heard it, for midfi (I'm using this term meaning no $2k+ budget not necessarily that this setup is midfi) I feel from what I've read, the Schitt Modi 2 Multibit / Jotunheim can be an end game step for the HD6XX without having to worry about warming or rolling tubes. I know any recommendation without ownership is grounds for dismissal so I'm hoping somebody can chime in because this is my impression and where my money would/will go if I decide to upgrade my chain for the HD6XX.

Can anyone offer any comparisons of this combo? I listen to CD'S or 320 kbps mp3's. Thanks.

Jan 27, 2017 at 6:50 PM Post #3,072 of 4,141
I've actually got the Modi Multibit & Jotunheim (paired with the HD-6XX & LCD-X's) and it is definately end game for the HD-6XX (even for the LCD-X really) and the sound quality for the price is unbelievable. It replaced an Oppo HA-1 DAC i had for about 3 years which while also excellent, cost $1200 vs. $650 for the Schiit stack, and the Schiit is sonically superior as well. I would highly recommend the pairing.

Jan 30, 2017 at 1:26 AM Post #3,073 of 4,141
For anyone who has the Jotunheim and has not tried these balanced certainly should. I've been running them balanced since I got them and I just did a comparison with the stock single ended cable and there is definitely improved sound stage and some fullness with the balanced I noticed immediately was lost with the single ended. To be sure I tested it again on a few other songs and I am pretty comfortable saying a balanced cable upgrade is the way to go with the Jot, or at least to my ears. This is with the Jot's internal DAC btw.

I've actually got the Modi Multibit & Jotunheim (paired with the HD-6XX & LCD-X's) and it is definately end game for the HD-6XX (even for the LCD-X really) and the sound quality for the price is unbelievable. It replaced an Oppo HA-1 DAC i had for about 3 years which while also excellent, cost $1200 vs. $650 for the Schiit stack, and the Schiit is sonically superior as well. I would highly recommend the pairing.

Sick! I will probably upgrade to the Modi Multibit myself, heard it pairs better than the internal DAC. And nice The Hawk is Howling avatar, big Mogwai fan.

Jan 30, 2017 at 12:28 PM Post #3,074 of 4,141
For anyone who has the Jotunheim and has not tried these balanced certainly should. I've been running them balanced since I got them and I just did a comparison with the stock single ended cable and there is definitely improved sound stage and some fullness with the balanced I noticed immediately was lost with the single ended. To be sure I tested it again on a few other songs and I am pretty comfortable saying a balanced cable upgrade is the way to go with the Jot, or at least to my ears. This is with the Jot's internal DAC btw.
Sick! I will probably upgrade to the Modi Multibit myself, heard it pairs better than the internal DAC. And nice The Hawk is Howling avatar, big Mogwai fan.

I love the flexibility the Modi Multibit provides. I just got mine a week ago and going to run it through its paces. I personally use a tube amp, but the Jot is a beast for what you pay. Not a fan of all in ones, because my setup is basically permanent. Upgrading becomes easier only replacing one thing, but I guess you could always use the Jot's amplifier by itself. For $100 more, you're getting a pretty good DAC/amp combo, but that $100 towards Mimby is 40% of the total.

I have a feeling the stock cable is a problem on my HD6XX. I read everywhere they are clear. That is not at all what I'm hearing. Listened to the HD650 with a balanced cable into a Cavalli Liquid Carbon, which couldn't power them to my liking (I listen REALLY loud at times). They seemed different, but this meet with low volume, I couldn't tell.

Went to a meet yesterday and didn't get a chance to hear the Jot. I did get to listen to a bunch of $1,000+ headphones like Audeze LCD2,LCD X; Sennheiser HD600, HD650, and HD800 (missed the HD800S), Hifiman Edition 6 (new product, $6,000!, On a $15,000 new amp product), HE1000, Edition X V2 (which I just bought used from a member, LOVED THEM!); TH-X00 Purpleheart (didn't like them); Focal Elear; and a few others I'm forgetting. My favorite amp was the Auralic Taurus mkII. That thing had so much power SE, I was truly blown away. Granted I didn't listen to some others in the same $1,300-$1,400 range. Listening to others though, the Auralic was something special for it's price.

I'm amazed at my listening impressions, and because of the Ebonies, I now need REALLY good bass. The headphones I thought I'd really like I didn't, and a Headphone that wasn't on my radar was so impressive I had to have one. Meets like this one you can literally test any combo you want. Highly recommend going to a few before dropping more than $500 on any equipment. Serious investment should be well researched, including listening in person. Just my thoughts. Also amazing was how different everyone's taste were.

I think I'm going to mod my Dekoni Lambskin pads. I really don't like them, and prefer the sound signature of the stock pads. One reason I bought the Ebonies was for the possibility of modding them like crazy. I'm extremely happy with them stock, and I want to see how much better I can make them through mods.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back