Sennheiser x Massdrop HD6XX Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Jan 10, 2017 at 7:03 AM Post #2,807 of 4,141
  DHL Global Mail works like that, they take the package to your country, from there it's in hands of your country public mail service. Try to follow the tracking number under the title "Delivery by Postal provider" in the DHL web tracking.

But better delivery services pay the import fee, deliver the product and you pay the delivery service. No need to wait so long for a notification that may never arrive.

Jan 10, 2017 at 8:41 AM Post #2,808 of 4,141

+1   Direct from Sennheiser, just call their parts department for part # 092885 - Cable for HD 650  $16.67 Can....and I believe $14.00US...... 2 day shipping.

or wait until Massdrop sends us one......
wink.gif

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/massdrop-sennheiser-hd6xx/talk/619356
"We will exchange the cable if you need a longer one. As a fast solution I can offer HD 650 cables (length is 9.84 ft.) because we have some of them on stock. The 6 ft. version will take longer as we have to produce them first. I have no confirmation from our cable supplier yet, but I guess it will February or March until we have it.

I am very sorry and I apologize for this.

Axel Grell “

awesome i will give them a call thanks

Jan 10, 2017 at 11:23 AM Post #2,809 of 4,141

But better delivery services pay the import fee, deliver the product and you pay the delivery service. No need to wait so long for a notification that may never arrive.

Of course they are faster. But sometimes the cost of the courier doing all the custom work is really expensive. For example I purchased some hand tool kit 50 USD and the shipping cost was 40USD to my country. When I received the product I had to pay the fedex guy 100~ USD extra from custom fees & taxes. For a 50 USD product I ended up paying 150 without shipping.

I think MD should give people different options for the shipping service or at least let them know which is going to be used before commiting to the drop.

Jan 10, 2017 at 12:36 PM Post #2,810 of 4,141

I think MD should give people different options for the shipping service or at least let them know which is going to be used before commiting to the drop.

I believe part of the deal is they get a discount for a mass shipment via a single courier, however it would be neat if they could work it out so people could pay a little extra for a courier of their choice.

I am 100% for Massdrop stating which courier will be used before commitment or else allowing withdrawing from the drop after the courier is announced. 

Jan 10, 2017 at 5:34 PM Post #2,811 of 4,141
A/Bed these with my SR3030 system.

The Stax detail and treble makes the Sennheisers sound like you're listening through five layers of felt. The difference between live music and live music a few rooms away. You "feel" the headphones getting in the way, physically, with the HD6XX. It's not airy. The difference is immediately apparent.

The Sennheisers have so much nicer bass, though. There's no oomph or physicality to the Stax bass. It's like a recording of bass. Here, the lack of physicality with the Stax results in them sounding worse. This sneaks up on you but with bass-heavy tracks it makes the Stax seem anemic. They also reveal flaws that make recordings feel thin. The transparency makes poor mixes sound ugly.

I put them both on one on top of the other and it sounded pretty good lol.

Are there any headphones with the warmth and mid bass punch of the HD6XX and the airy detail and spaciousness (the image feels much larger) of the Stax? HD800?

I no longer think the HD6XX is terrible... in fact I am unhappy with both headphones in different ways now. 

Jan 10, 2017 at 5:45 PM Post #2,812 of 4,141

The Stax detail and treble makes the Sennheisers sound like you're listening through five layers of felt. ...................

I know longer think the HD6XX is terrible... in fact I am unhappy with both headphones in different ways now.

I get that same sensation comparing them with my HD800S ......but on their own without direct comparisons they are IMHO a rather satisfying listen.

Jan 10, 2017 at 6:21 PM Post #2,813 of 4,141
Nay, would'nt want to bend these new shiny toy of mine, at least not just yet. But thanks anyway.

Just want to add that I followed a guide on reducing the clamping force of these headphones and they became much more comfortable after.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/438898/hd650-hd600-hd580-comfortable-uncomfortable-or-fractured

Jan 10, 2017 at 7:14 PM Post #2,814 of 4,141
  A/Bed these with my SR3030 system.

The Stax detail and treble makes the Sennheisers sound like you're listening through five layers of felt. The difference between live music and live music a few rooms away. You "feel" the headphones getting in the way, physically, with the HD6XX. It's not airy. The difference is immediately apparent.

The Sennheisers have so much nicer bass, though. There's no oomph or physicality to the Stax bass. It's like a recording of bass. Here, the lack of physicality with the Stax results in them sounding worse. This sneaks up on you but with bass-heavy tracks it makes the Stax seem anemic. They also reveal flaws that make recordings feel thin. The transparency makes poor mixes sound ugly.

I put them both on one on top of the other and it sounded pretty good lol.

Are there any headphones with the warmth and mid bass punch of the HD6XX and the airy detail and spaciousness (the image feels much larger) of the Stax? HD800?

I no longer think the HD6XX is terrible... in fact I am unhappy with both headphones in different ways now. 

Maybe try the Audeze LCD-2.

Jan 10, 2017 at 9:48 PM Post #2,815 of 4,141
Maybe try the Audeze LCD-2.

I can state, if you are a fan of the HD600 and 650, the LCD-2 is a great choice as an upgrade. Better extension at both ends of the spectrum. Truly liquid sound. Greater transparency and detail.

In fact, I miss my LCD-2s. They aren't seeing as much use of late, as these HD6XX demand my ears more, since they're newer. You know how it is. :D

Jan 10, 2017 at 10:45 PM Post #2,816 of 4,141
I can state, if you are a fan of the HD600 and 650, the LCD-2 is a great choice as an upgrade. Better extension at both ends of the spectrum. Truly liquid sound. Greater transparency and detail.

In fact, I miss my LCD-2s. They aren't seeing as much use of late, as these HD6XX demand my ears more, since they're newer. You know how it is.
biggrin.gif

You guys are killing me! I don't need another upgrade to look forward to, I just want to be satisfied with what I've got!

....probably won't happen 
rolleyes.gif

Jan 11, 2017 at 3:29 AM Post #2,817 of 4,141
  I get that same sensation comparing them with my HD800S ......but on their own without direct comparisons they are IMHO a rather satisfying listen.

Yeah, exactly. I'm growing fond of my in-betweens (Triple Fi IEMs, DT1350). Funny that the smaller form factors are better at doing everything well but nothing exceptionally.

The HD6XX is nothing if not sonorous... warm, round, punchy, with a small, intimate image. But the vocals, the emotion... it feels filtered. Subject to the same "sonorous" distant quality as the rest of the recording.

The Stax sure are airy though. Just a raw, transparent transducer. I was hoping the HD800S would be the perfect balance, but it sounds like to some extent we're limited by the recordings. 

I get the HD6XX now. It's a good headphone. For $200 it sounds good. And sometimes even interesting.

How can I demo an LCD-2? If it's truly an HD650 with the detailed treble and control of an electrostatic, that's great. I want to listen to music, not headphones.

Jan 11, 2017 at 5:50 AM Post #2,819 of 4,141
You guys are killing me! I don't need another upgrade to look forward to, I just want to be satisfied with what I've got!

....probably won't happen :rolleyes:
I've owned the lcd2 twice, I don't feel they are an upgrade at all.

Jan 11, 2017 at 8:11 AM Post #2,820 of 4,141

Yeah, exactly. I'm growing fond of my in-betweens (Triple Fi IEMs, DT1350). Funny that the smaller form factors are better at doing everything well but nothing exceptionally.

The HD6XX is nothing if not sonorous... warm, round, punchy, with a small, intimate image. But the vocals, the emotion... it feels filtered. Subject to the same "sonorous" distant quality as the rest of the recording.

The Stax sure are airy though. Just a raw, transparent transducer. I was hoping the HD800S would be the perfect balance, but it sounds like to some extent we're limited by the recordings. 

I get the HD6XX now. It's a good headphone. For $200 it sounds good. And sometimes even interesting.

How can I demo an LCD-2? If it's truly an HD650 with the detailed treble and control of an electrostatic, that's great. I want to listen to music, not headphones.

The only headphone that has the control of a electrostat is...well, an electrostat. Planars do offer better control and decay than most dynamics but just don't look for them to sound like a stat. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back