Sennheiser x Massdrop HD6XX Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Dec 19, 2016 at 9:16 PM Post #2,101 of 4,141
No complaints so far. More than enough volume certainly, and they sound great. Ideally you'd probably want a bit more power than the Fulla 2 puts out to really bring them alive, these headphones have a reputation for scaling well with better amps, but the Fulla 2 will do on a budget
Mine are supposed to arrive tomorrow so I can give a bit of if they can scale well test . Mainly bought them to run from a Bottlehead Crack but also have a Liquid Carbon and a Amps and Sound Kenzie amp so we shall see.

Dec 19, 2016 at 9:23 PM Post #2,102 of 4,141
  Just got mine today. I'm in total audio nirvana. The 650's were always my dream headset, and this drop made them affordable enough to pick up a pair. 

I thought I'd be annoyed by the Y cable, and that the clamp wouldn't be an issue. Well... the opposite is true. I know the clamp loosens over time, but right now I need to take them off every once in a while because of the tightness. 

I'm pairing with an Aune T1 SE. 

I bought the HD600s about five years ago on a ridiculous sale - I too have always wanted a pair of HD650s.  I immediately noticed how apparently worn my HD600 earpads must be, and also how much the clamping force must have loosened over the years.  The 6XX clamping force struck me initially, but it is already becoming more comfortable after a few days of wear.  I plan to listen to the 6XXs for a few weeks straight before comparing to the 600s.  They are very similar, but each have their own flavor.  My initial impression of the 6XXs is VERY good, listening balanced from a AGD NOS11.

Dec 19, 2016 at 9:43 PM Post #2,103 of 4,141
No complaints so far. More than enough volume certainly, and they sound great. Ideally you'd probably want a bit more power than the Fulla 2 puts out to really bring them alive, these headphones have a reputation for scaling well with better amps, but the Fulla 2 will do on a budget
Wow a sane impression. We need more like this. If you don't give a headphone at least a week you are doing yourself a disservice.

Dec 19, 2016 at 10:01 PM Post #2,104 of 4,141
I am pretty new to this audiophile thing, so I haven't made up my mind about whether "upgrade" cables are worth it or not.  That being said, since the Massdrop version has detachable cables, I've been Googling around.  Some of these cables cost more than the cans!  Would someone in the pro-cable upgrade crowd be able to recommend something that is reasonably priced, compared to the headphones?  I am trying to 1) save money for CanJam NYC and 2) not get divorced. 
wink_face.gif
  Thanks!

Dec 19, 2016 at 10:13 PM Post #2,105 of 4,141
I am pretty new to this audiophile thing, so I haven't made up my mind about whether "upgrade" cables are worth it or not.  That being said, since the Massdrop version has detachable cables, I've been Googling around.  Some of these cables cost more than the cans!  Would someone in the pro-cable upgrade crowd be able to recommend something that is reasonably priced, compared to the headphones?  I am trying to 1) save money for CanJam NYC and 2) not get divorced.  :wink_face:   Thanks!

Try impact audio cables... Unfortunately I'm still waiting on delivery for my HD6XX's, but I ordered them and posted a pic earlier in this thread. The price is right and the build quality is excellent as well as many reviews... But honestly my HP's don't come till Friday so I've yet to listen to them.

Dec 19, 2016 at 10:15 PM Post #2,106 of 4,141
  I am pretty new to this audiophile thing, so I haven't made up my mind about whether "upgrade" cables are worth it or not.  That being said, since the Massdrop version has detachable cables, I've been Googling around.  Some of these cables cost more than the cans!  Would someone in the pro-cable upgrade crowd be able to recommend something that is reasonably priced, compared to the headphones?  I am trying to 1) save money for CanJam NYC and 2) not get divorced. 
wink_face.gif
  Thanks!

My opinion is as follows is as follows.  (others will probably disagree)

There are two reasons to "upgrade" your cables for these headphones.

1.)  You have a balanced amp and you want a balanced headphone connection (so you need a balanced cable)

2.)  You want prettier cables, with fancy sleeving, etc.

If you are staying single ended (the opposite of balanced), no cable in the world is going to improve the sound quality over the stock single ended cable.  

If you want to go balanced though, there is a subtle improvement in sound on a balanced amp.

Dec 19, 2016 at 10:22 PM Post #2,107 of 4,141
wink_face.gif
  Thanks!

What are you plugging the 6XXs into?  If you don't have a quality source/amp, the money you might spend on cables would be far better spent there.

Dec 19, 2016 at 10:23 PM Post #2,108 of 4,141
My opinion is as follows is as follows.  (others will probably disagree)

There are two reasons to "upgrade" your cables for these headphones.

1.)  You have a balanced amp and you want a balanced headphone connection (so you need a balanced cable)

2.)  You want prettier cables, with fancy sleeving, etc.

If you are staying single ended (the opposite of balanced), no cable in the world is going to improve the sound quality over the stock single ended cable.  

If you want to go balanced though, there is a subtle improvement in sound on a balanced amp.

I probably should have stated that I needed balanced so that's why I upgraded my cables. :)
I do disagree with balanced is a subtle upgrade though. Depending on your amp balanced can make a huge difference IMO. Especially if you use an amp such as the Jotunheim. Again that's just my opinion.

Dec 19, 2016 at 10:55 PM Post #2,109 of 4,141
I am pretty new to this audiophile thing, so I haven't made up my mind about whether "upgrade" cables are worth it or not.  That being said, since the Massdrop version has detachable cables, I've been Googling around.  Some of these cables cost more than the cans!  Would someone in the pro-cable upgrade crowd be able to recommend something that is reasonably priced, compared to the headphones?  I am trying to 1) save money for CanJam NYC and 2) not get divorced.  :wink_face:   Thanks!
I have heard differences in cables but it was very slight. Some may hear more but I'm not going to drop $600 on cables for a bit of difference myself. I have no problem for those that do I just don't get the benefit myself.

Dec 20, 2016 at 12:16 AM Post #2,110 of 4,141
I have heard differences in cables but it was very slight. Some may hear more but I'm not going to drop $600 on cables for a bit of difference myself. I have no problem for those that do I just don't get the benefit myself.

I would definitely have a problem dropping 600.00 on something as negligible as cables especially on a 300.00 pair of HP's... Although if I had a pair of Orpheous HP's I might be more inclined to do so even if it might have the slightest improvement in sound...

Dec 20, 2016 at 1:08 AM Post #2,111 of 4,141
Matt, there's a difference sometimes in cables..May not be massive in most cases but.. it's there. Stock cables tend to use thin wire, some poorly shielded. As I said if you ever saw the DT770 stock wiring you'd be shocked. I upgraded one cup at a time so I could give it a mid swap listen and it was easy to tell the improvement. From what you've said it doesn't appear you've ever owned anything but a stock cable so how can you make such claims? This is a subjective hobby however it's always best to contribute from experience.

On a side note I've made three cables to test on the 6XX:) One is Cat6e solid core. Next up is stranded silver plated copper. Both are Teflon shielded and of quality. Finally, standard Canare star quad. All cables are balanced, all will be tested on the 6XX and fed through Mimby/Jot. These cables will be tested by another forum user and I'm also open to other reputable CO residents to give them a shot and share their experience. Just send me a PM.

Dec 20, 2016 at 1:33 AM Post #2,112 of 4,141
Mine showed up today right on time. Unfortunately I was on the road all day so I'm just getting to them now. Listening to FLACS off my computer through an SMSL M6 DAC/AMP which has enough power. They sound great. Tomorrow I'll to some head to head against my K7xx's and Philips X1's.

Dec 20, 2016 at 5:11 AM Post #2,113 of 4,141

What are you plugging the 6XXs into?  If you don't have a quality source/amp, the money you might spend on cables would be far better spent there.

I agree. Upgrade cables aren't necessary. It's like the lastest finalest endest upgrade you'll ever need. No point upgrading cables if you don't have an amp/dac to drive your headphone properly. The difference in a good amp/dac is much more noticeable than the cable. 

Dec 20, 2016 at 7:47 AM Post #2,115 of 4,141
My pair arrived Sunday, Serial# 3,600 and boy was that sticker an after-thought.  I haven't listened to them yet, just swapped the cable for a longer balanced one, plugged them into my HA-1 and put my library on shuffle.  Have a bit of a head cold so I figured I'd let them run in a bit even if it doesn't make much of a difference.

I like the subtle dark blue.  The 650's finish is nice but the 600's was horrible IMO.  This sits nicely between the 580 and 650.

This will be my third go-round with this set of cans and likely my last.  I just don't use my headphones enough to stay on the merry-go-round and these have always been "good enough" for me in terms of sound and comfort.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back