Sennheiser x Massdrop HD6XX Review / Preview - Head-Fi TV
Dec 14, 2016 at 4:51 AM Post #1,741 of 4,141
  I disagree, the $200 price point is key here. The Fostex $400 is harder pill to swallow for majority of people.

And they did not already have nearly 35,000 requests waiting for an additional drop....

Dec 14, 2016 at 5:13 AM Post #1,742 of 4,141
  Maybe the price point is the sweet spot but you can see the pick up of AKG 7XX is much slower now then initially released

AKG K7xx does not sound half as good as the HD650 (imo) and the HD650 is legendary... if anything stops Sennheiser from offering future drops on 6xx, its going to be because its selling so well, its messing up their current price structure (why buy HD600, why buy HD598 at $150, etc etc.

Dec 14, 2016 at 10:47 AM Post #1,744 of 4,141
My tracking number updated with more information this morning. It went from NJ -> PA. Says it will arrive this Saturday. I live in VA. Curious to see which # I'm receiving. I was one of the helpless ones that tried endlessly to purchase on MD, then getting an email later to purchase after clearing up people's duplicate orders.

Dec 14, 2016 at 12:27 PM Post #1,746 of 4,141
AKG K7xx does not sound half as good as the HD650 (imo) and the HD650 is legendary... if anything stops Sennheiser from offering future drops on 6xx, its going to be because its selling so well, its messing up their current price structure (why buy HD600, why buy HD598 at $150, etc etc.

The AKG K7xx can sound great and rival the HD650, it is just much more sensitive to amplification. With the wrong amp it sounds awful, with the right amp it sounds just as good as the HD650.

The HD650 on the other hand sounds pretty good whatever you plug it in to x and gets better the better the amp.

Dec 14, 2016 at 12:28 PM Post #1,747 of 4,141
My tracking number updated with more information this morning. It went from NJ -> PA. Says it will arrive this Saturday. I live in VA. Curious to see which # I'm receiving. I was one of the helpless ones that tried endlessly to purchase on MD, then getting an email later to purchase after clearing up people's duplicate orders.

I thought they were only going to number the first 500 orders?

Dec 14, 2016 at 1:29 PM Post #1,749 of 4,141
Yes, that is correct. Hoping that I get a number below that dependent on when I "attempted" to order. If not, doesn't matter.

Yeah, I started refreshing the order page 5 minutes before the drop went live, And as soon as the order button appeared I attempted to order.... Only to have to have it time out. And then I tried again, and again and again and again until finally only a few minutes before the drop ended I got a confirmation that I had an order in.

I had assumed this meant that I had missed out on the numbered ones in the beginning.

Either way, it doesn't matter to me. I was ordering a set of headphones, not a collector's item :p

Dec 14, 2016 at 1:43 PM Post #1,750 of 4,141
I thought they were only going to number the first 500 orders?

I was under the impression that they were all serialized.  By being the first 500, you were simply ensured a number of 550 or below.

The silver nameplates have been swapped for black plates with contrasting silver text—and the Massdrop logo is silk-screened on the inside of the headband, just above the right cup, with the serial number located just above the left cup.

In the general description, it says that the serial number is located just above the left cup.

Dec 14, 2016 at 1:49 PM Post #1,751 of 4,141
Order has shipped woot.

Dec 14, 2016 at 2:14 PM Post #1,752 of 4,141
Yeah, I started refreshing the order page 5 minutes before the drop went live, And as soon as the order button appeared I attempted to order.... Only to have to have it time out. And then I tried again, and again and again and again until finally only a few minutes before the drop ended I got a confirmation that I had an order in.

I had assumed this meant that I had missed out on the numbered ones in the beginning.

Either way, it doesn't matter to me. I was ordering a set of headphones, not a collector's item :p

I hit refresh the second my clock on my phone hit 9:00 (EST here). Needed to hit refresh once it loaded and then I was in. Completed my purchase under a minute. I was very fortunate to be in and out that fast.

Happy I got a numbered version. Makes it special to me. Especially after the crap hit the fan. Feel very lucky I didn't get stuck losing hours trying to get one. Before the drop I didn't care, but after the debacle that ensued, I definitely wanted one numbered. I'm really low numbered, possibly under 100, but not much above 100 if I'm not that low.

Dec 14, 2016 at 2:21 PM Post #1,753 of 4,141
I'm really low numbered, possibly under 100, but not much above 100 if I'm not that low.

Actually I'm pretty certain the serials are completely randomized below the 550 marker - they stated they would guarantee the first 500 a number under 550 but at the same time the actual number you receive if you do get one will be drawn at random rather than in order of purchase. I think given all the issues they ran into this is the best way to go about it but I can see it being disappointing to some (when I miraculously got my order confirmation 15 seconds after the drop initiated the marker said there had been 2 purchases prior to mine, I was the third).

Dec 14, 2016 at 2:29 PM Post #1,754 of 4,141
I'm amazed that you guys had no issues, especially since I literally refreshed it until the order button popped up and then we t through with the order. I should have been one of the first in. :p

Maybe my mistake was trying to use PayPal. That added an extra authentication step and several seconds to the process, which might have delayed my order to the point where the onslaught was on in full.

Dec 14, 2016 at 3:25 PM Post #1,755 of 4,141
I'm amazed that you guys had no issues, especially since I literally refreshed it until the order button popped up and then we t through with the order. I should have been one of the first in.
tongue.gif

Maybe my mistake was trying to use PayPal. That added an extra authentication step and several seconds to the process, which might have delayed my order to the point where the onslaught was on in full.

Me too.  I believe Paypal was my issue also.  Got in early 6:00:30, clicked join, but then got the spinning circle and then the oops...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back