Sennheiser takes over Drop!
Jun 9, 2020 at 2:04 PM Post #16 of 107
Jun 9, 2020 at 2:40 PM Post #17 of 107
Jun 9, 2020 at 4:53 PM Post #18 of 107
I love all these non European offers on this site, they keep reminding me that I come second.

Jun 9, 2020 at 4:57 PM Post #19 of 107
Jun 9, 2020 at 4:58 PM Post #20 of 107
Thank you for expressing your concerns, and giving us the opportunity to clarify some misunderstandings.
A team of audio engineers including Axel Grell worked to develop the HD 820 over the course of several years, with many revisions made along the way to find the best way to eliminate the "back wave" that reflects off of traditional closed-back headphones and creates the "cuppy sound," while also maintaining strong isolation that would provide a practical benefit over the HD 800S. Though Mr. Grell is now a consultant rather than the head of the audiophile team, we have many longtime audio engineers as well as other talented engineers who have joined in more recent years.

How many full-time (not contract) audio engineers does Sennheiser employ on the Headphone team that are related to sound quality, as opposed to materials and build?

Don't get me wrong @Sennheiser I was a fan of your work 10 years ago. In fact, Sennheiser was my first purchase in this space and I recommended the brand to everyone. However, the steam has really started to slow down, with little to no change over the years. Many 'new products' have recycled chassis and minimal change, other new products are just add a microphone and an 's' to the name, and don't forget all the discontinued headphones that we used to love. Tyll once said that Sennheiser was the most capable headphone maker in the world, now the excitement is near gone. Even the gaming headset and business department is now shared by another company, EPOS. All that's left are the old geezers HD600 series and HD800 series left to carry the flag of a sinking, once-great, ship.

Jun 9, 2020 at 5:10 PM Post #21 of 107
HD555s got me into headphone audio. But the last Sennheiser product I have purchased was HD800 ten years ago! Everything that came after it was either overpriced or just average.

Jun 9, 2020 at 5:12 PM Post #22 of 107
HD555s got me into headphone audio. But the last Sennheiser product I have purchased was HD800 ten years ago! Everything that came after it was either overpriced or just average.
My last purchase was also 10 years ago, everything that has been released since then I couldn't convince myself to buy, even though I really wanted to

Jun 9, 2020 at 5:15 PM Post #23 of 107
We can understand you might appreciate synchronized sales timing. Different promotions are run at different times across our retail partner network, and it is up to each European retailer to run promotions when they please. It's always best to check directly with your favorite retailer.
Hiding behind retail partners is a huge cop out. You have a direct to consumer site...

Jun 9, 2020 at 7:40 PM Post #24 of 107
Jun 9, 2020 at 9:45 PM Post #25 of 107
Jun 9, 2020 at 9:56 PM Post #26 of 107
Price is still kind of high on the hd820 or I would think of trying (and returning if not my tastes), I get the graphs, blah, blah, blah, but I trust my own ears.
Have had the old HD800's as well for a number of years, they are my go to headphone for Classical.
The new HD800S is kind of interesting, but again, don't want to spend that much.

Jun 9, 2020 at 10:01 PM Post #27 of 107
Before you get a HD820, be sure to check out it's reviews and rankings: https://crinacle.com/rankings/headphone/

No one should get it

This list is so utterly ridiculous. I am not sure who comes up with the valuation and the score, but the Stellia with a C because of seal issues (?) … and hardly all other assessments do not reflect what I hear. It is a fun read, but this should clearly not be your guide for a buying decision.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2020 at 10:02 PM Post #28 of 107
Jun 9, 2020 at 10:54 PM Post #29 of 107
This list is so utterly ridiculous. I am not sure who comes up with the valuation and the score, but the Stellia with a C because of seal issues (?) … and hardly all other assessments do not reflect what I hear. It is a fun read, but this should clearly not be your guide for a buying decision.

Bravo to this post. He's also running his reviews on a single amp: the ifi nano black. IF you think your preferences are the exact same, and IF you have the same source, and IF you have the same music preferences then by all means make his reviews gospel. Now, if instead you read his disclaimer and use his reviews as one of many references then make your own opinions you'll be much happier. Crin's work is a great resource, and I like it a lot, but I have a pretty big difference of opinion on many of his over ear rankings. And that's ok.

Some of the previous posts come across as pointless bashing on Sennheiser. I also think it would be nice if there would be some great sales for the EU, and the people requesting that are totally valid. The people who pop in just to say how much they hate certain Sennheiser products? Is a sale posting from the company the right place to do that? Comes across petty in my opinion. Perhaps post your opinion on the thread dedicated to the headphone instead.

Edit: Hey Sennheiser, I'd also love to see a HD8xx (HD800) and even more, a HD600 drop. Love the HD600!

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2020 at 11:09 PM Post #30 of 107
The HD800 is highly underrated. Try it with a top end amplifier and you will ask yourself why you need anything else.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back