Sennheiser support ? Never again !
Apr 6, 2004 at 11:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

TimS

Head-Fier
I just got my broken HD-600 back from Sennheiser. Took them a whopping 4 weeks. Unfortunatly, they did not fix the problem. I sent them in with the description that there's a clear rattle on the right side whenever low bass is played. It's extremely obvious. I tried different sources, switching the connectors on the cans, different cables etc. It's very obviously a defect on the right side / driver. They appearently replaced the driver, there are traces of glue or something like that all over it.

Nothing sucks more than using crappy headphones for a month, waiting for your HD-600s, just to get them back and they're still broken. I'll just buy new heaphones now, Sennheiser warranty isn't worth the paper it's written on :frowning2:

Apr 6, 2004 at 11:53 AM Post #2 of 20
I'm sorry to hear about your misfortune.

Meanwhile, if they replaced the driver... the rattle should have disappeared, shouldn't it? Where else can the problem be
confused.gif

Not tight enough assembling of the driver on the cups, maybe?

Apr 6, 2004 at 12:04 PM Post #3 of 20
That's a good question :wink:
I'm not sure what exactly they did. They didn't replace the foam pads or the metal grill thing, they must have done something on the inside, but I can't tell what. Maybe they just dripped some glue over it :wink:

I'm very certain that it is a problem with the cans itself. My HD-570 sounds OK on all my sources, and regardless of source and how I switch the channels with the cables there's always a clear rattle with the 600s on the right side. I did my best to clean everything I could and looked for loose pieces etc, but that didn't help. I'm puzzled how Sennheiser could sent the cans back, the issue is painfully obvious with any cable or source I tried.

Since hell will freeze over before I ever sent anything in for repair, this means I'll soon buy some 650s. Also good in some way :wink:

Apr 6, 2004 at 12:21 PM Post #4 of 20
If I were you, I would email them saying exactly what you wrote here. Say that, since they were not able to fix the cans, they should have sent you a new pair - and pay for all shipping costs. Say that it's unbelievable that an enterprise with such a reputation does not honor the warranty and that you are terribly disappointed. See what happens. If they do not reply in a satisfactory manner, forward the messages to some other contact person / department / big boss. See what happens. Mention the words "Office for customer protection" here and there. Don't give up!

... or you really, really want the 650s?...
wink.gif

Apr 6, 2004 at 1:32 PM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by greenhorn
If I were you, I would email them saying exactly what you wrote here. Say that, since they were not able to fix the cans, they should have sent you a new pair - and pay for all shipping costs. Say that it's unbelievable that an enterprise with such a reputation does not honor the warranty and that you are terribly disappointed. See what happens. If they do not reply in a satisfactory manner, forward the messages to some other contact person / department / big boss. See what happens. Mention the words "Office for customer protection" here and there. Don't give up!

... or you really, really want the 650s?...
wink.gif

....or if you're really lucky, they'll realise what an enormous mistake they've made and send you a new pair of HD 650s as a goodwill gesture
attachment.php

Apr 6, 2004 at 3:45 PM Post #7 of 20
I've dealt with a lot of companies before that have a great R&D and engineering department but piss-poor customer support. So I still like Sennheiser products, just their supports appears horrible from the experience I had this time. btw, I might add that I'm living in Germany, so the US support might be different. i.e. Sennheiser here does not deal with individuals, so they sent the headphones back to the store and then the store sends them back to me.

I don't even know where to complain to, I have no contact address for Sennheiser Germany. I'd certainly do it if anybody can supply me with an email address...

I called the store and they said that they'll try to sent them to Sennheiser and ask for a replacement with a note that they should process it as fast as possible. Hope that works out.

Other than this, I plan to buy the 650s anyway realsoonnow :wink:

Apr 6, 2004 at 3:55 PM Post #9 of 20
so what happens if the 650's you'll be getting end up having the same problem? you'll be in the same boat, with even more money shelled out to the same company that you're having a hard time with now. seems a little ingorant to knowingly place yourself in the same position that you're not even out of with the 600's.

Apr 6, 2004 at 5:59 PM Post #10 of 20
Well, I'd rather buy headphones I like and risk having to deal with bad support IF they should break than buying something else.

sennheiser.de always gave me internal server errors when I clicked on the contact link on the main page, will try later again :wink:

Apr 6, 2004 at 6:37 PM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally posted by TimS
I've dealt with a lot of companies before that have a great R&D and engineering department but piss-poor customer support. So I still like Sennheiser products, just their supports appears horrible from the experience I had this time. btw, I might add that I'm living in Germany, so the US support might be different. i.e. Sennheiser here does not deal with individuals, so they sent the headphones back to the store and then the store sends them back to me.

I don't even know where to complain to, I have no contact address for Sennheiser Germany. I'd certainly do it if anybody can supply me with an email address...

I called the store and they said that they'll try to sent them to Sennheiser and ask for a replacement with a note that they should process it as fast as possible. Hope that works out.

Other than this, I plan to buy the 650s anyway realsoonnow :wink:

Just go HERE and you've even got the direct telephone nr....
wink.gif

Apr 6, 2004 at 6:37 PM Post #12 of 20
yeah, you've gotta go with what your ears tell you is the best choice.
280smile.gif

hopefully this deal is just an isolated incident, or at least not 100% representative of Sennheisers support...

Apr 6, 2004 at 10:18 PM Post #13 of 20
I had the exactly same problem recently with my HD600s. The left driver would rattle on certain bass notes. I sent them to Senn USA and I had them back in about two weeks fixed and like new. They replaced the left driver and for some reason the cable as well. Two weeks was pretty quick i thought when you factor in 4-5 days total for shipping.

Apr 6, 2004 at 10:34 PM Post #14 of 20
Two weeks was the amount of time which the store estimated. Unfortunatly it took 4 and they didn't fix my problem ;-(

I've heard a lot of good things about Sennheiser USA, appearently their German support is worse. Like they ship the headphones back to you directly, but in my case they ship them to the store.

I'll call Sennheiser directly tomorrow and see what they say.

Apr 6, 2004 at 11:04 PM Post #15 of 20
Wow, that sux.

I had a great experience with Sennheiser with my HD600's. They switched to "nubbed/ribbed" connector sockets sometime in 1999. They "replaced the bales" (whatever the heck that is) and I noticed that the connector sockets were different.

I had them back to me in two weeks.

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back