Sennheiser says it’s open to selling its consumer audio business
Feb 19, 2021 at 9:24 PM Post #61 of 144
Measurements of their respective wireless audio products speak to the contrary. Period.
Wireless? How about compare Apples TOTL AirPods Max to the 600, 650, or 660S. Apple will get wiped with the floor. And the 6xx can be bought for half the price of the Max and sounds more than twice as good. Period.

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2021 at 12:49 AM Post #62 of 144
Wireless? How about compare Apples TOTL AirPods Max to the 600, 650, or 660S. Apple will get wiped with the floor. And the 6xx can be bought for half the price of the Max and sounds more than twice as good. Period.

Even though it doesn’t make much sense to compare them, they don’t. THD is lower on the AirPods Max (and considerably so in the lower frequencies by orders of magnitude) - it’s actually probably lower on average than most pairs of over-ears headphones - and both the APM’s and the HD6... series’ FR curves are reasonable variations around known preferred curves (with the APM hugging them better below 1khz and the HD6... series better above). At least sufficiently so that they both would land in the “try them yourself to get an idea” category. Which I have, I actually own both the APM and the HD650.

It’s also pointless to even talk about Sennheiser’s wired headphones in this thread because they aren’t the reason the company is looking for a partner / buyer.
For the dinosaurs in this thread who think that Sennheiser would be better off sticking to wired headphones, that’s just not how you’re going to sustain a €390 millions revenues / year division in 2021 and keep the jobs. Either the company finds someone to help them with wireless audio or the scale of that division will have to be considerable reduced and further layoffs occur.

Feb 20, 2021 at 9:52 AM Post #63 of 144
It’s also pointless to even talk about Sennheiser’s wired headphones in this thread because they aren’t the reason the company is looking for a partner / buyer.
For the dinosaurs in this thread who think that Sennheiser would be better off sticking to wired headphones, that’s just not how you’re going to sustain a €390 millions revenues / year division in 2021 and keep the jobs. Either the company finds someone to help them with wireless audio or the scale of that division will have to be considerable reduced and further layoffs occur.
I've been wondering if they might even be able to split their headphones division into two separate brands: the audiophile headphones and the consumer headphones. Maybe call the latter Sennheiser Momentum, or something, to differentiate. This way they could either sell one or both divisions, depending on who's buying and what their plans are. That way, hopefully, the consumer stuff would get a boost without the risk of losing the audiophile stuff.

Mar 1, 2021 at 3:52 PM Post #64 of 144

Some of my personal favorites HD650, HD540 Reference Gold 600ohm, HD250 Linear 1 600ohm.
I don't get why Sennheiser doesn't just release the HD250 Linear 600 Ohm, the HD540 600 Ohm or the HE60 again.

Instead german companies do a lot of research to release crappy flagships like HD820, K872 or T5p.

I don't see the financial advantage here over rereleasing the old models while doing no research at all and pricing them the same like modern TOTL headphones.

I just realized that every single of my 5 headphones is older than me.

Mar 2, 2021 at 4:04 PM Post #65 of 144
Yeah a lot about the way Sennheiser has been running is hard to figure. I hope this shakeup will allow whichever is the serious remaining division to see the value in classic audiophile headphones and bring back some of the classics. By the way, a rerun of the PX-100s wouldn't be viewed negatively in case anybody is listening :wink:

Mar 2, 2021 at 8:11 PM Post #66 of 144
I don't get why Sennheiser doesn't just release the HD250 Linear 600 Ohm, the HD540 600 Ohm or the HE60 again.

Instead german companies do a lot of research to release crappy flagships like HD820, K872 or T5p.

I don't see the financial advantage here over rereleasing the old models while doing no research at all and pricing them the same like modern TOTL headphones.

I just realized that every single of my 5 headphones is older than me.
Absolutely right... I’ll never sell my old Sennheiser’s. It’s kind of ironic now that we have such a huge diverse headphone amplifier market. Most companies are gearing and designing more and more efficient headphones. Nonsense... I’m not buying another flagship until I really get impressed. Sr1a is pretty cool, and Susvara is great, but I’m happy with my old Sennies for now. The Clear pro mg looks appealing, and I will most likely listen to one soon.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2021 at 8:48 AM Post #67 of 144
vintage/classic headphones were so well thought-out. In terms of tackling the overall headphone listening experience and overall practical quality.
You can literally tell by looking at many of them in detail, that they were clearly made with the overall user experience as the highest priority in mind. Not just to catch a market of ignorant buyers like today. Many of them engineered by the best minds in the engineering and science field, back when such quality people could be had for cheap. So worth it over all the newer flashy overrated headphones. Those who know know.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2021 at 9:17 AM Post #68 of 144
Buy your HD800S & HD820 headphones now before they become OOP price-gouged collector's items!

Mar 3, 2021 at 10:20 AM Post #69 of 144
Buy your HD800S & HD820 headphones now before they become OOP price-gouged collector's items!
Not happening because nobody is dumb enough to sell them :wink:

Mar 3, 2021 at 10:29 AM Post #70 of 144
and btw I much prefer headphone companies which release a few well-thought out headphones which are guaranteed to be a timeless classic much more than the headphone companies of today which releases shiny junk, hyped today worthless tomorrow type of headphones every couple of months and uses the buyers as their quality control.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2021 at 12:01 PM Post #71 of 144
I blame corona virus pandemic disaster and the china revolution of Cheap and good h adphones

Mar 3, 2021 at 2:24 PM Post #72 of 144
good to see you're still alive btw... i @ you for several HD 800 sales here I saw because I knew you were looking for one but I never saw you post anything anywhere until recently

Mar 3, 2021 at 2:56 PM Post #73 of 144
good to see you're still alive btw... i @ you for several HD 800 sales here I saw because I knew you were looking for one but I never saw you post anything anywhere until recently
Yeah I went MIA for a while. Ended up buying the HD800S 75th. Really dig the look a lot better than the regular HD800S.

Mar 4, 2021 at 4:04 AM Post #74 of 144
Prices will inflate now that they become collector’s items, especially for the Orpheus and HE-1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back