Sennheiser RS220
Jan 10, 2013 at 7:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

rav86

New Head-Fier
I've been using these headphones with optical input for some time now, no problems, and happy with the sound..

However, I've just switched to using the analogue input and am experiencing alot of "buzzing"..

There are 2 vol switches:
1st) Dial on the back of the docking station
2nd) On the actual headset

How should I be adjusting these for optimum output?

Also, if using an amplifier to power them, then where/how does the amplifier vol control come into it?

May 24, 2014 at 9:44 AM Post #4 of 6
I've been using these headphones with optical input for some time now, no problems, and happy with the sound..

However, I've just switched to using the analogue input and am experiencing alot of "buzzing"..

There are 2 vol switches:
1st) Dial on the back of the docking station
2nd) On the actual headset

How should I be adjusting these for optimum output?

Also, if using an amplifier to power them, then where/how does the amplifier vol control come into it?

Why do you want to use the analog input? It must be converted to digital with an ADC in the RS 220 base station before transfer to the headphone which converts it to analog using its built-in DAC.

What kind of amplifier are you talking about? A preamplifier or a headphone amplifier?

I don't really see any point in a headphone amplifier except if it has loop or pre out and several switchable inputs and hence doubles as a preamplifier or input signal switch.

The point for a preamplifier would be convenience:
  1. Several switchable inputs
  2. Easily sharing sources with other headphone or loud speaker setup
  3. Remote control, but you do have volume on the headphone itself

You connect the RS 220 base station
  1. Digital input to a digital output on the preamplifier
  2. Analog input to the preamplifier's
    1. HT bypass output
    2. REC output
    3. Pre output

May 24, 2014 at 8:42 PM Post #5 of 6
Thanks for your response,

I'm having to use the analogue input, as the headphones are hooked up to a mixamp pro, so i can run Dolby Headphone through them..

The mixamp only does analogue out.. I dont know of any amp that can apply Dolby Headphone and output the sound in digital.. I have asked on this forum before, but they just dont exist..

May 25, 2014 at 12:27 AM Post #6 of 6
Thanks for your response,

I'm having to use the analogue input, as the headphones are hooked up to a mixamp pro, so i can run Dolby Headphone through them..

The mixamp only does analogue out.. I dont know of any amp that can apply Dolby Headphone and output the sound in digital.. I have asked on this forum before, but they just dont exist..

You could try replacing the analog audio cable that runs from the Mix-amp to the RS220.
3ft Premium 3.5mm Stereo Male to 2RCA Male 22AWG Cable (Gold Plated) - Black
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021815&p_id=5597&seq=1&format=2

Might also try changing the power outlet (wall socket) the RS220 is plugged into, maybe even get a line conditioner.
Only ideas I can come up with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back