Sennheiser RS 170 and RS 180 help/recommendations?
May 2, 2015 at 11:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

YWZMatt

New Head-Fier
Hello! This is my first thread in this forum and my first foray into the headphone community. I've never had actual headphones until yesterday, but rather a few headsets, and my favorite of which was the Logitech G930's due to them being wireless. After I got them, I realized how much I valued being untethered and have decided to avoid wired headphones wherever possible. I now have a desk mic and decided to buy some actual headphones, but the ones I purchased (Sony MDRRF985RK) have awful sound quality and strange earcup padding.

You can skip that introductory paragraph and just read here if you want. I'm wondering on people's opinions of both the Sennheiser RS 170 and RS 180 headphones. Also I'm wondering if anyone can recommend which ones I get. I've heard that the RS 180's are nicer sounding and more comfortable, but I've never had open headphones and I was wondering if the audio from the headphones would leak and be picked up by my Blue Snowball. The RS 170's would obviously not have this problem as they are closed, but I'm not fond of the aesthetic (which isn't that big of a deal but it adds to the other part) and they apparently don't sound quite as good and are less comfortable. Can anyone give opinions on the comfort of the 170's and the sound leakage of the 180's?

Jun 19, 2015 at 2:31 AM Post #2 of 2
I have the RS 180 and they are very good.  I use them both for music and movies, but I am thinking of upgrading to the New RS 195 since they have 10 channel settings for various types of sounds. Only for the channel options am I upgrading. The 180 has enough bass for me (I like salsa music) and the audio sound is great.  The sound level never drops  and I can move from room to room and hear.  I do have a problem sometimes hearing on  films the background music is sometimes louder than the speaking voices which is why I will go to the RS 195 which solves that problem, but being 62 years age my hearing isn't the best so don't go by me.  The rs 195 has a bit of hearing help for those with slight hearing impairment. The RS 180  are a lot cheaper than the RS 195 and i also got 1/3 off the price by buying the store "in the window" last headphone.
I find them to be very comfortable and literally wear them for 8, 9 10 hours a day and barely feel them.  The earcups are a bit small but comfy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back