Sennheiser PXC 550 - After three days
Aug 3, 2016 at 5:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

arcanemethods

New Head-Fier
After a three day listening orgy, with much to go before I revisit my whole collection, I will pronounce these the Last Word. I have a broad collection of 'phones at a lot of quality and price levels for acoustic measurement but and these are the first I've encountered that I will call revolutionary. The experience need not get any better than what this device offers. The word canonical comes to mind.

There is (fixed at this point) spatial processing in the DSP to give a sound stage that has to be heard to be believed. There are acoustic lenses between the diaphragm and one's pinnae that I believe override the individuality of our pinnae to be completely replaced by the presented DSP stage. I watched "A most Wanted Man" last night which has a superb surround sound track and I felt I had been transported. Almost anything one listens to becomes an animated movie with eyes closed. This bodes enormously well for VR use.

Their magnificent space auralization is not even mentioned in the advertising. Level changes are clearly heard as changes in distance with appropriate scaling. That I've never even heard before.

Some have criticized a touch of brightness but I don't agree. That's what perfect verisimilitude sounds like and it provides a common center from which one can apply tasteful transformation. The Sennheiser PXC 550 is something that no audiophile can ignore. I didn't even start on the superb feature set because, cool as it is, it isn't particularly relevant to what matters to me.

Aug 4, 2016 at 2:26 AM Post #2 of 2
I just watched Avatar listening through these and I won't revise my estimate of them being a canonical device. I was waiting for a 3D HMD suitable for watching it to first see it but couldn't resist. Perfect surround sound stage and perfect timbre, none of its own to speak of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back