Sennheiser PXC 450 VS Sennheiser PXC 350 VS Bose QC 2 VS Bose QC3
Feb 18, 2008 at 7:59 AM Post #16 of 31
I own both the Sennheiser PXC450 and its little brother the PXC250. I’ve tried the PXC350. Although expensive, the PXC450 is worth every penny. It beats out the competition in terms of comfort (the PXC250 is supra-aural) and the SQ had me amazed. I never expected such clear, balanced and fun sound from NC headphones, although the bass is lacking a bit. I was afraid that when active the noise-cancelling might somehow interfere with the SQ, but although that might have been the case with the PXC250 (SQ is really much lower), the PXC450 sound like quality headphones and interference is minimal. Some detail disappears, treble becomes a bit thinner and the bass suffers, but the extent to which is forgiveable as well as academic, I guess, since no headphones will be able to give you such detail while on a plane. With the NC switched off, you're still left with very good headphones. If you need NC headphones and are looking at a long flight, I recommend the PXC450; SQ is significantly better than the PCX350, its build is sturdy and has a luxurious feel over it, it has an efficient talk-through button and comfort is incomparable with the PXC250. It’s a personal thing of course, but having circumaural NC headphones feels much nicer (especially if you fly from Europe to Australia and back) than IEMs. Even with the music switched off and the NC switched on, the PCX450 delivers… it’s quiet and you get to enjoy the silence. Relatively, that is, because human voices aren’t filtered out completely (which I like, especially before boarding) and NC only goes so far. Far enough for me though.

Mar 2, 2008 at 6:18 PM Post #17 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zephyron /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you wish to seek out a good pair of Noise Cancellation headphones, might I suggest the Audio technica ATH-ANC7.

The time I spent with them was brief, but I was very impressed with the sound that they can provide, and the pricing doesn't really break the bank I think.

Thank you.

I eventually made up my mind and have just taken delivery of a set of ANC7. So far, very pleased with my purchase. I have a couple of 10 hour flights coming up in a fortnight, so I'm really looking forward to them now.

Thanks for all of your comments.

Mar 2, 2008 at 7:28 PM Post #18 of 31
thanks for the replays guys
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 3, 2008 at 12:02 AM Post #19 of 31
As a frequent traveler I say any noise cancelling headset or iem is better than nothing. When I don't have mine I feel more fatiqued after a 5 hour flight than I would after a 10 hour flight with them.

I have to say all I have is QC2's which I bought right when they came out, so before the 450 and ANC7's AFAIK. They have held up great and while the sound isn't amazing they are doing double duty so they have there place.

Mar 3, 2008 at 8:31 AM Post #20 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by dgbiker1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since the IEMs seal your ear, little sound of any kind can get through (I've heard -60dB attenuation), which makes sense since they're basically earplugs with speakers in them.

I'm a strong believer in and long time user of iem's but I don't think the 60dB reduction is doable, the lowest I've ever seen advertised is 25-30 dB. Also at least for flights I find that the low frequency drone of the engine is not reduced all that much by iem's and unless you use something like the Shure PTH unit they are a pain when somebody tries to communicate with you. I have never actually tried a pair of active noise canceling phones so can't comment on them.

Apr 19, 2008 at 7:41 PM Post #21 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by REB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I own both the Sennheiser PXC450 and its little brother the PXC250. I’ve tried the PXC350. Although expensive, the PXC450 is worth every penny. It beats out the competition in terms of comfort (the PXC250 is supra-aural) and the SQ had me amazed. I never expected such clear, balanced and fun sound from NC headphones, although the bass is lacking a bit. I was afraid that when active the noise-cancelling might somehow interfere with the SQ, but although that might have been the case with the PXC250 (SQ is really much lower), the PXC450 sound like quality headphones and interference is minimal. Some detail disappears, treble becomes a bit thinner and the bass suffers, but the extent to which is forgiveable as well as academic, I guess, since no headphones will be able to give you such detail while on a plane. With the NC switched off, you're still left with very good headphones. If you need NC headphones and are looking at a long flight, I recommend the PXC450; SQ is significantly better than the PCX350, its build is sturdy and has a luxurious feel over it, it has an efficient talk-through button and comfort is incomparable with the PXC250. It’s a personal thing of course, but having circumaural NC headphones feels much nicer (especially if you fly from Europe to Australia and back) than IEMs. Even with the music switched off and the NC switched on, the PCX450 delivers… it’s quiet and you get to enjoy the silence. Relatively, that is, because human voices aren’t filtered out completely (which I like, especially before boarding) and NC only goes so far. Far enough for me though.

Reb, I have to agree with you on as many points as I have been able to compare. I had a few 100 Euro pair of NCs, like a Phillips and a small sony, the model numbers which I forget-both were virtually useless. I finally bit the bullet with only reviews to go on, like you for the long trip to Sydney and back, total of 50 hours. I have not listened to any serious quality headphones as everyone raves about like the HD650 nor the Grado upper end GS1000, but to my ears the 450 sounds very very nice, especially with a small headphone portable amp.

Can you comment on a critical comparison between the 450 and high end cans?

Apr 25, 2008 at 9:23 AM Post #22 of 31
Quote:

Originally Posted by jerryneyk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you comment on a critical comparison between the 450 and high end cans?

I just took a short moment to compare the 450 and my AKG K340, just to get a feel how it performs outside of the airplane. With the NC turned off, it's pretty decent. The Sennheiser veil seems to be there, that is to say that the phones sound a tad darker than my other cans and certainly than the K340. I am not very familiar with Sennheisers in general, so I would be hesitant to compare it with the high end Senns, but my guess would be that the 450 is a level below the HD580 and HD595. By all standards pretty decent. Detail is good. I tested them with the Tord Gustavsen Trio recordings which have some pretty intimidating drum detail and they did a good job. They also gave plenty of room to Glenn Gould humming along with his rendition of the Goldberg Variations, which is something I always use to test whether I like a particular set of cans. Surprisingly perhaps and contrary to my earlier findings, the sound quality did not degrade that much with the NC turned on. In fact, I liked how the high mids of the piano became a bit more subdued. Ditto for the bass. The sound was more balanced with the NC turned on. Now this may have been caused by the amp. I was using the Zero Dac, I didn't have my Voyager at hand. Anyway, I'd be happy to have the 450 as my regular computer/Itunes can. Not ecstatic perhaps, but reasonably happy. As normal cans they do a more than decent job. As NC cans, for me they are the best. When I put them on just know, the cool feel of the leather earpads was so nice, it almost made me book an airplane ticket, just so I could use the 450 again.

Feb 5, 2009 at 4:48 PM Post #24 of 31
you're in an audiophile/head-fi site...and ur talking about bose? go for the pxc 450, though the only difference is a slightly better NC and talkthrough, looks better aswell, but dont think there's any sound improvements over the 350's i have 450's.

Feb 5, 2009 at 6:29 PM Post #26 of 31
i think Active Noise Cancelling headphones market is cold and dying out...not many new players....and they are overpriced for mediocre sound quality.

also the hassle of battery.

if u see IEM's are the in -thing now..and they are here to stay.

just wanted to share what i feel.

Feb 5, 2009 at 10:18 PM Post #27 of 31
i had the 450 and sent them back - for this kinda money they are not worth it, quality of sound - wise.

i got audio-technica's ATH-ANC7 instead. under $100 US, very pleasant sound, ok sound isolation and good build quality. on top of that, can be re-cabled with cardas cable by simply plugging it in (head-room's cardas interconnect).

they also respond pretty well to amplification.

but the main point - for the price, there's no buyer's remorse as it was with senns 450. those are just too expensive.

Feb 6, 2009 at 1:38 PM Post #28 of 31
I have owned Senn PXC250 and still own Bose QC3. And I hate them both! SQ, weight, battery hassle, poor NR ... completely outplayed by decent IEMs.

Feb 6, 2009 at 2:09 PM Post #29 of 31
It sounds like the PXC 450 you listened to may have been faulty (I have never heard a buzz).

My understanding was that the PXC 350 and 460 were the same other than the style and talk-through facility.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back