Sennheiser Plugs/connectors
Jul 11, 2008 at 4:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 122

-=Germania=-

Headphoneus Supremus
Ok, I scoured forum and couldn't find anything with sites that worked.

I would like to buy two sets of connectors, but I think that $32 is a bit much for the plugs offered. I could build them from scratch, but would prefer not to.

Is there anyone offering a better price on these?

Thanks guys!

Jul 11, 2008 at 4:57 AM Post #2 of 122
Well,

I wanted to make a couple of nice headphone cables.
Namely one out of some special Mogami stuff (as a *all hazards* cable) and then one of my own special design and preference.

BTW: I think I am going to end up making my own FreQ connectors from scratch. I know what I am going to use and how I am going to use it, now it is just a matter of buying stuff..... and I need a check to clear....

Jul 11, 2008 at 5:07 AM Post #3 of 122
keep me posted about those, I need to clear a little the high freq in mine, so a nice cable will be always good around...

Does anybody had tried the Westone or the UE cables inthe FreQ, are they the same? Same length, etc...

Jul 11, 2008 at 1:00 PM Post #4 of 122
Germania,

$32 is the going rate and I haven't seen them for any less anywhere. It's well worth it in my opinion since it avoids the whole hack-and-tap method with the stock connectors. If you're very good there are ways of making the stock connectors work cleanly but for me it's not worth the time or the hassle.

Jul 11, 2008 at 1:15 PM Post #5 of 122
i tried chopping the hd580/650 connectors. i also tried pulling the pins out by heating them.
both methods were extremely tedious and annoying.
although i wish the cardas connectors were more heat-resistant (easy to damage while soldering), i dont mind paying $32 for them. its just so much easier than modding the stock connectors.

Jul 11, 2008 at 1:29 PM Post #6 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They will be really bad then if they took 2 years to copy an existing connector....
rolleyes.gif
and BTW what R&D are you talking about, in a connector copied from the original one? AFAIK it was not an original layout from scratch, as we all know that it must match the original one. The original must be copied completely and exactly...
Also if the whole Sennheiser cable including the connectors cost $11.00, charging three times as much just for the connectors is not a rip off to you? Sorry we all have differnt concepts of what a rip off means then...
wink.gif

IMO $5.00 for a pair should be more than enough, any Neutrik has a lot more technology involved and cost a lot less...
wink.gif

The connectors are not the same, not exactly. The connectors on the Cardas replacement cable for Sennheisers do not offer a space for you to solder wire directly to the pins.

The wire is probably connected to the metal connectors via some sort of machining process and then the strain relief is added, probably via injection molding.

In order to create a DIY connector for anyone to use they had to develop a new mold so they could offer access to the pins so you could solder whatever wire you want to it.

So before you go spouting off that the connectors are the same...they're not. Have you even seen them?

Here's a pic for you:

The connectors on the Cardas built cable:
headphone-connectors.jpg

The DIY connectors:
da30_2.JPG

But go ahead and spout all the BS you want about them being the same.

Jul 11, 2008 at 1:34 PM Post #7 of 122

Jul 11, 2008 at 1:41 PM Post #9 of 122
Quote:

I'm a CNC programer and trust me that in the case of the Senn connector, it will cost less...if you look at the Neutrik they use several materials and several different processes with different tolerances that at the end the have to match, the Senn plug is just two pins and a casing of plastic how complicated it could be?

Guys feel free to beleive what you want, but if I have to pay 32 for the connectors I would rather get three whole cables instead from Senns, you can feel free to do what you want, but I'm not too fond of the aftermarket or the DIY cables...

Wow, so materials cost is the only thing to consider for pricing then?

There are other things to consider:

1) Obviously Cardas still wants to sell their Sennheiser cable, so they don't want to price DIY connectos so low that people will opt to build their own vs. buy the cardas cable.

2) Perhaps through their own market research they found that while the available market was there, it was small, so a higher price would be necessary (since they may not sell quite so many). Lower volume of sales =higher price...it's simple supply/demand.

Seriously man, if you think $32 is too much for them, then I won't begrudge you that, but considering that for the first time anyone can fairly easily make their own headphone cable for Sennheiser headphones without splicing, I'd pay for that. Have you ever tried to splice the connectors off of a stock cable?

Also, $11 for a replacement cable from the company that makes the headphones (in very high quantities) is hardly a good benchmark for comparison.

Jul 11, 2008 at 1:44 PM Post #10 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by thrice /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are other things to consider:

That's just, like, your opinion man.

the_big_lebowski___jeff_bridges.jpg

Jul 11, 2008 at 1:59 PM Post #12 of 122

Jul 11, 2008 at 2:18 PM Post #14 of 122
Quote:

Now consider that mainly who get those connectors are cable manufacturers, not final customers, that sell their cables later on, for an isolated project, I would say that is not a big deal, you can get one and save the money of going to another company and pay for a terminated and more expensive cable, but for a manufacturer, they just add all the costs of parts, and charge extra for labor and a profit at the end. For them is the same if they cost 32 or 300, as you will pay for them at the end...

Um, those DIY connectors are for isolated one-off cables by an end user...that's why they're called "DIY connectors"

So if you want to make you own sennheiser cable out of any wire you want you can either:

1) Buy the connectors and make the cable fairly easily
or
2) Buy an $11 stock cable, cut off the connectors, strip the wires, then melt off the coating on the stranded wire and splice the existing wire from the connector to your own cable wire and then make sure you have enough heatshrink and strain relief to make sure the cable does break when you want to insert and remove the cable.

Yeah, I'd pay $32 for #1. Clearly you would not, but as you stated you use the stock cable. Fine. Good for you, I'm glad you're happy with it.

Some of us would like to try out other things though and to us those DIY connectors are worth it.

Jul 11, 2008 at 2:22 PM Post #15 of 122
Quote:

Originally Posted by n_maher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Sov, as a MOT, who makes Senn cables I find all of your comments in this thread pretty appalling.

Phono Stage,Phono Pre,audio cables, hiend cables, hi-end cables A

Rudi does, not me, and he does not "make/sell Senn cables", that is not Rudistor main business at all, we just offer a balanced Sennheiser cable, that is not offered as stock by them in balanced configuration, to be paired with our amps, as most of the times our customers do not have any on hand while they decided to go balanced. Trust me that we have donated free of charge to our customers, more cables, than the ones we have sold...BTW if you look at the rest of the offers of the market, they are in the majority of the cases, far above Rudi's price, in other words Rudi offer those cables almost at cost...

Now besides that, I do not sell them, only the amps....
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back