thanks again..
it amazes me how you guys can afford such a "beasts"
tongue.gif

while i must stuck in $100 - 150 headphones
icon10.gif

Jun 15, 2006 at 10:33 PM Post #17 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alu
Don't electrostats lack the necessary bass for movies and games?

No. Stax 404's have some of the most extended and cleanest bass of any phone. Many cheaper phones have a bass peak but are not accurate in that region.

Jun 15, 2006 at 10:36 PM Post #18 of 34
Is the only place to source an Orpheus (not that I have that kind of money) an EBay sale, or other used purchase? Or could you go to Sennheiser and pay them to make one more?

Jun 15, 2006 at 11:02 PM Post #19 of 34
There was a lot of 19 or 20 that were sold to members here, made out of the spare parts that sennheiser had in storage. No amp with them though. As I understand it, thats it, there are no more, nor will there be any. Of course, for ENOUGH money, im sure they would make you one. Thing is that "enough" would be more than you would need to "convince" someone who already has one to part with it I imagine.

Jun 15, 2006 at 11:22 PM Post #20 of 34
I just finished F.E.A.R. with 90% played through the HE60 ~
They have such detail it made the already scary game into extremely freaky.
With a High-end setup it will add detail and space giving your movie or gaming experience a kick in the a** !

Jun 16, 2006 at 12:49 AM Post #21 of 34
As blasphemous as it may seem, the he90's are good for games and movies as well as music listening.

I might prefer the ps-1 over it occasionally due to it having more bass but I like the he90 just as much as it is a more all rounder for my taste's.

Strangely for movies and games I prefer a more detailed sound. I use an xfi with mine and a external dac.

Whether it would represent the best is difficult to say. An Omega 2 might be more your cup of tea or sony R-10 and a whole host of other headphones. See if you can audition one to find out for yourself. Or get yourself to a meet. That way that would give you some idea.

Where as Mr.Bangraman had comfort issues with the he90, I found the ps-1 affected me comfort wise which I was really miffed at because before it never use to. So I let the ps-1 go. Which is shame really cos I preferred my ps-1 with the ipod more than the he90.

Jun 16, 2006 at 1:35 AM Post #23 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alu
Don't electrostats lack the necessary bass for movies and games?

HE60s don't lack bass. They don't have as much as a PS-1 or L3000, of course, but properly amped they have about as much as a pair of speakers without a subwoofer. The HEV70 is aenemic in the bass region, but then, it's aenemic in all the other regions too.

Jun 16, 2006 at 1:47 AM Post #24 of 34
Electrostatics tend to lack tactile bass, but as far as harmonics are concerned, they will pulversise dynamics.

Jun 16, 2006 at 6:04 PM Post #25 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by muckshot
Orpheus is perfect for AM radio!
tongue.gif

Yeah, and for 96kbps MP3s too.

Jun 16, 2006 at 7:23 PM Post #26 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by HugoFreire
Yeah, and for 96kbps MP3s too.

96 is way too high... 32 Kbit/s is the winner!!!! and joint-stereo of course
biggrin.gif

Apr 8, 2011 at 12:16 AM Post #28 of 34
After five years, I figured, why not bump this? :D I'm 32 and had an Orpheus portion of the Sennheiser line tacked to my wall in high school. Some day I hope to see a full set in person.

Right now if you have new BMW 3 series money available you can pick up an immaculate looking set in the next couple of days from Wiktor. It looks like this unit has been kept under glass when not in use: eBay

I think when the HD 800s are connected to the HeadRoom Balanced Ultra Desktop Amp and Cambridge DacMagic, it'll beat out the Orpheus set, but I would definitely pay some serious fee just to have a good listen from the Orpheus.

By the way, when I pre-ordered my HD 580s before they were shipping, I asked my dealer about some sort of case for them, given how pricey I thought they were, and after calling Sennheiser, he got them to send a wooden box like what is pictured with the Blue lining and padding. He said Sennheiser told them they used it to show off the 580s when they were introducing them, and for that reason, there a little wear on the box. I Googled around and found a box that looks like this with the HEV90. Does anyone know what else shipped in these wooden/blue-lined boxes? Mine does not have the Sennheiser logo imprinted on it like one I saw via image search.

Apr 8, 2011 at 9:58 AM Post #29 of 34
By the way, here's a photo of the box I mentioned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back