Sennheiser Momentum vs Bowers & Wilkins (B&W) P7
Jul 13, 2014 at 7:42 PM Post #121 of 141
In the past few days I've been demo'ing the Momentum and the P7. Sound wise I prefer the B&W and its earcups can accomodate my ears. But it is a bit bulky on the head and I think I'm gonna be self aware of wearing them at all times. The Sennheisers look better on the head but the inferior lobe of my ears won't fit in them and they might become unconfortable because of that.
And then there's the enormous price gap: I can get the Momentum for 220€. The P7 costs 400€.

Still, don't know which one to get.

Jul 22, 2014 at 3:47 AM Post #122 of 141
Another one to throw in the mix is the Final Audio Design Pandora IV.

The Pandora IV is a closed back design that is easy to drive and is just a little bit more expensive than the B&W P7.  I would say the Pandora IV is a worthy alternative to the B&W P7.

Jul 23, 2014 at 9:12 PM Post #123 of 141
Wow, even more expensive than the P7s?

I'll really have to think this through. Thanks for the suggestion!

Jul 30, 2014 at 8:09 AM Post #124 of 141
I've tested both the Sennheiser Momentum Over Ear and B&W P7 and I have to say me personaly I prefer the Momentums much more. I use my HTC One while have beats audio on I know beats audio :p and the power amp app at the same time so I can have alot of power powering the headphones. I did about 1 hour of listening and I felt that the Momentums could control much more bass and decay quicker than the P7, I also prefered the mids of the Momentum over the P7 but the P7 did have a little better highs but not by much. i just felt that the Momentums had a more wamer sound but at the same time very clear and detaild. I listend to alot of rap from Pusha T, Tyler The Creator and Dope DOD so that was for the heavy bass testing. Then I listend to a bit of EDM ranging from Trance and djs like Adymus and 16 Bit Lolitas to the harder sub genres like hardstyle and hardcore which are more like Dj Duro & Zany to Xcite & N-Vadar to test the decay and speed of the bass. I later on listend to some black sabath and the prodigy so I could get a feel for the Vocals and also the range of the soundstage. I really loved how the Momentums handled the music and I am very impressed. The only let down is the ear pads,my ears just fit and my ears didn't hurt but they did get warm but I usualy have a break after every hour of listening so I should be ok but the other thing that kinda got me a bit ehh was the portability the case is big but due to the light weight I can wear them around my neck with no problem :) But everybody hears different and likes different but for me personally The Momentums win on sound and looks but the P7 win in Comfort and portability. But both are amazing looking headphones with very good sound quality just always try before you buy :)

Aug 2, 2014 at 3:54 PM Post #125 of 141
In the past few days I've been demo'ing the Momentum and the P7. Sound wise I prefer the B&W and its earcups can accomodate my ears. But it is a bit bulky on the head and I think I'm gonna be self aware of wearing them at all times. The Sennheisers look better on the head but the inferior lobe of my ears won't fit in them and they might become unconfortable because of that.
And then there's the enormous price gap: I can get the Momentum for 220€. The P7 costs 400€.

Still, don't know which one to get.

Its a zwameiro!!!!!!! :-D
Ola 80s...,

I dintnt know you wanted a warm portable, thought you were happy with your in ears...

Where did you try the p7s in portugal?

Cheers...

Aug 3, 2014 at 7:02 PM Post #126 of 141
Its a zwameiro!!!!!!! :-D
Ola 80s...,

I dintnt know you wanted a warm portable, thought you were happy with your in ears...

Where did you try the p7s in portugal?

Cheers...

Yes I am!

I wanted a warm portable yes as my RE0s began to give me headaches due to the vacuum created. Never bothered me before in 3 years but all of a sudden this started to happen.
I decided not to buy neither because I tried my cheap but good-enough-for-commuting sounding Philips SHE 3590 and I find them very confortable, maybe because the included tips are harder and don't adjust to my ears as well as the ones of the RE0, avoiding that vacuum.

And since I don't like to go out with big headphones on my head (as I feel very self aware), it was a win-win situation for me.

I tried, as special favor, the P7 in the Apple Store in the Colombo shopping centre, in Lisbon. A few days later, the Fnac in the Colombo also had them in a glass window. I'm sure they let anyone listen to them, one just has to ask. At least that's what happened with the P5, which I didn't like at all. Now the P7 are a different story: much more treble, no sibilance and an open sound stage!

Aug 3, 2014 at 8:27 PM Post #127 of 141
  Yes I am!

I wanted a warm portable yes as my RE0s began to give me headaches due to the vacuum created. Never bothered me before in 3 years but all of a sudden this started to happen.
I decided not to buy neither because I tried my cheap but good-enough-for-commuting sounding Philips SHE 3590 and I find them very confortable, maybe because the included tips are harder and don't adjust to my ears as well as the ones of the RE0, avoiding that vacuum.

And since I don't like to go out with big headphones on my head (as I feel very self aware), it was a win-win situation for me.

I tried, as special favor, the P7 in the Apple Store in the Colombo shopping centre, in Lisbon. A few days later, the Fnac in the Colombo also had them in a glass window. I'm sure they let anyone listen to them, one just has to ask. At least that's what happened with the P5, which I didn't like at all. Now the P7 are a different story: much more treble, no sibilance and an open sound stage!

Lisbon.... always getting the good stuff.... here in Porto we dont have any of that premium stuff..... ;(
I absolutely loved the momentums sound and as i said on Zwame i tried 3 different pair of momentums to see if i could get a pair with bigger holes on the pads but i had no luck.... to me they are still the best pair of headphones i had so far but i simply could not deal with something that costed me 200 euros and that after about 5 minutes of use started to make me move the pads like crazy in order to get a better fit. This was simply too distracting. I loved the sound but after 5 minutes i simply could not focus on the music due to the disconfort. I miss them but....

The nad viso hp50 can now be had for about 200 euros on amazo but i doubt the bass would suit me (it seems they are much flatter than the momentums...).
The b&w p7, from what i read seems to be mindblowing, they seems like an over ear amperior from what i read.... but seriously, they may sound amazing but 400 euros??????? not for me, not at all, they are beautifull but thats too much money.... my maximum to a pair is 200 and even like that i still feel sorry for the money spent.... XD

I am now thinking of the denon ah d600. They are too big for home use but seem like a good can for my need even if just for home use (my hd25's will remain as my portable). This denond used to cost 400 euros and can now be had for 140 new. 

Aug 7, 2014 at 5:11 PM Post #128 of 141
Quote from the Momentum appreciation thread:
Originally Posted by Winno [COLOR=22229C]/img/forum/go_quote.gif
[/COLOR]

Ok, I've just got back from my local Apple store where I spent about 1/2hr listening to the Momentums, B&W P7, and the B&O Beoplay H6.

A quick first impression review.

I listened to three tracks;

Ian Anderson - In the Pay of Spain (Divinities - Twelve Dances with God album - a mix of acoustic and electrical instruments)

Basia Trzetrzelewska - Yearning (Sweetest Illusion album - voice with a jazzy touch)

Joe Ford - Majestic (hard hitting industrial dub-step)

The B&Ws were up first (simply because they were closest to me after walking in)

A secure fit but not overly firm, fitted right around my ears, nice finish and a classy looking can.

Sound - detailed right across the spectrum, forthright but not overly in-your-face, flat spectral balance, no sibilance up top.

Powers well directly from iPhone 5 but the volume sat near the top 3/4 because of ambient shop noise and despite good isolation.

Quite livable.

The Momentums.

Fit was more comfortable as the pads are softer and oval shaped. The B&W's rectangular pads were still good but not as nice here. The Momentum has a slightly smaller profile around your head.

Possibly slightly easier to drive straight from my phone than the P7.

Sound - the words 'delicacy' and 'airiness' come to mind.

A less in-your-face sound compared to the B&W. Kinda like sitting further away from the performers where you could get a better sence of the whole venue acoustic. Was probably ever so slightly softer overall and could be said to lack some of the finer details down low that the B&W had but I found it a more musical, sweeter, and enjoyable sound. I could forget everything and be carried away into the music more with these.

The B&Os.

I listened to these just because they were there. I didn't go into the store with listening to them in mind.

I've never considered B&O a hi-fi product previously. I've viewed them as an exercise in form over function in the past and thought their products a bit over rated.

These were a surprise.

They're well made with leather covered pads, nice alloy finishes with quality annodising and machined structural bits.

Sound wise - very close to the Momentums but with some subtle leanings toward the B&W.

A nice phone certainly.

My pick?

Overall, the Momentums.

This listen confirmed why I liked them so much when I heard them for a couple of minutes a few months ago.

If these were no longer available, I'd easily pick the B&Os.

All three had compact plugs that easily fitted through my Cleave/Draco bumper (5mm deep with a 7mm dia. recess).

I'd like to give more insight into all of these but time was not permitting.

Maybe this helps someone in their decision.

I should point out that while the detail and accuracy appeared to be lacking in the Momentums, it was in fact there if you listened and took your time. 
Compared to the Momentum, the P7 tended to be more up front with everything and almost 'forced' you to hear everything.
What do you mean by the detail is there? Like if you are in a nice quiet enovironment you can actualy pick out and hear more detail?

Sep 29, 2014 at 1:26 AM Post #129 of 141
Hi.I just received my P7 and I'm quite surprised, as I feel the basses weak.

On a daily basis I've been using either the C5 from bowers or IE8 from Sennheiser.

Now reading the comments, I wonder if it's just that my sources are incapable of delivering the proper punch to the p7.

For now I've been using my set with either my mobile phone (Galaxy Note3) or an imac laptop.

Do you think it's normal that I experience this feeling of lack of bass ?

Sep 30, 2014 at 4:44 AM Post #130 of 141
OK After comparing my own P7 with 

- my own C5
- another set of P7
- a set of p5

It seems that the P7 simply has less bass punch than the P5 and theC5.

I had doubts that my P7 were counterfeit, but the other set (coming from a B&W outlet) is similar.

Note that the C5 bass amount is HUUUGE compared to the P7. 

Sep 30, 2014 at 8:44 AM Post #131 of 141
Hi.I just received my P7 and I'm quite surprised, as I feel the basses weak.

On a daily basis I've been using either the C5 from bowers or IE8 from Sennheiser.

Now reading the comments, I wonder if it's just that my sources are incapable of delivering the proper punch to the p7.

For now I've been using my set with either my mobile phone (Galaxy Note3) or an imac laptop.

Do you think it's normal that I experience this feeling of lack of bass ?

When new I would have said the P7s were too bass heavy! The loosening of the band helped (clamped round the box for 24 hours). I would say they have a tight bass either neutral or just over. Maybe that some like neutral and some like elevated bass. Certainly many phones now are designed for the latter.

Apr 16, 2015 at 9:10 AM Post #134 of 141
Hi,

Just wanted to check if you've found any comparisons with the Momentum G2 ?

I had the first gen Momentum, and while they did sound great they were just to small for my fairly normal ear.
Now that the G2 of the Momentum are prices higher, the P7 are not that much more expensive, so a comparison
would be great.

Niklas

Apr 16, 2015 at 1:04 PM Post #135 of 141
When new I would have said the P7s were too bass heavy! The loosening of the band helped (clamped round the box for 24 hours). I would say they have a tight bass either neutral or just over. Maybe that some like neutral and some like elevated bass. Certainly many phones now are designed for the latter.

Yeah, I found that the P7 bass mellowed out a bit over time. Sounded much bigger and boomier initially.

I must have had a bad seal when I tried the P5 because it sounded terrible IMO, like cheap earbuds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back