Sennheiser MOMENTUM Review
Mar 15, 2013 at 12:36 PM Post #1,561 of 3,594
Just wanted to say that I'm back in the Momentum club 
smily_headphones1.gif
. The first time I got it I felt that they were too expensive for my use of it back then (strictly portable), but recently few reasons arose which lead to me re-purchasing them again. 1) I was able to find them for cheaper price than what I got it for last time, 2) I needed a new closed back headphone that isolate very well and 3) Lately my jawline was getting too fatigued due to overusage of around-ear headphones such as SR-007 and LCD-2, and needed something that would relieve the pressure on the jaw (which was the reason why I sold the K550, although I liked its sound very much).  I have a minor case of TMJ and 2+hours of around ear headphone use was too much.  I figured the Momentums had the sound signature that I like, and was semi on-ear type, so felt that it was perfect for my needs. 

And as expected, the pressure from the pad is more on the ears than on the jaw due to their small cups, and even though it's more on-ear they headband is easily bendable to relieve the clamping, so I was able to find the perfect comfort level. Sound wise, obviously they're not perfect compared to my main cans but I never expected them to be. They still have that smooth, relaxing sound signature that I like which is perfect for late night listening, and I can even use them as portable to boot, which makes it very flexible. Very happy that I returned to these.

Mar 15, 2013 at 1:32 PM Post #1,563 of 3,594
Got mine for 259$ here from a user. So happy I made the jump

Mar 15, 2013 at 5:44 PM Post #1,564 of 3,594
Quote:

They still have that smooth, relaxing sound signature that I like which is perfect for late night listening, and I can even use them as portable to boot, which makes it very flexible.

K_19, I'm very interested on the Momentum preciselly for those same uses, late night listening and out and about.
I would like to have a small headphone IEM 'fall me asleep'.
How would you compare it to the HD238 you own for this particular task?
Would be perfect to also have a similar natural tonality of the HD600 which I like quite a bit.

Anyone else using the Momentum for late night listening?

Mar 15, 2013 at 5:53 PM Post #1,566 of 3,594
Quote:

K_19, I'm very interested on the Momentum preciselly for those same uses, late night listening and out and about.
I would like to have a small headphone IEM 'fall me asleep'.
How would you compare it to the HD238 you own for this particular task?
Would be perfect to also have a similar natural tonality of the HD600 which I like quite a bit.

It's been such a long time since I've tried the HD238 (gave them to my sister long time ago) but from memory the Momentums definitely go deeper down low and have more detail, and obviously isolate tons better (238 is open back). Momentums have more laid back highs which really reduces the fatigue level.  It's never what I call punchy, fast, and exciting, but laid back, smooth, and vocals especially sound really great on it IMO.

As for the HD600 comparison... IMO from memory they don't really sound similar. More of a HD650 from my memory, in that it's a very warm laid back sound.  

Do keep in mind that I've only had these for a day this time and only had it for a week the first time, thus no "break in" time, if you believe in that. I personally don't really believe in burn ins, but just mentioning that in case you do.

Mar 15, 2013 at 5:55 PM Post #1,567 of 3,594
Quote:

Was about to curl up in bed with mine 
happy_face1.gif

(perfect timing: don't you love it when that happens?)

Mar 15, 2013 at 6:19 PM Post #1,568 of 3,594
Nice, apprecciate the commentaries. :)

Thanks for your prompt reply, K_19.
Interesting that you relate them to the HD650, should be warmer, smoother and polite? than my HD600, then, which is congruent with my desire.
Before I used the PX100 to fall me asleep but it's overlly bassy and overall lack of resolution became more and more distrating as I listened to more and better headphones. I used to love it's tonality though...
I don't believe in burn in, by the way, first impression for me usually tell right away what the headphone is all about and if I'll like it or not.

Mar 15, 2013 at 6:22 PM Post #1,569 of 3,594
I hope that the fact that it's a closed headphone doesn't prevent it to offer some level of sonic transparency, which I highly value, because I'm most certainly going to buy it and give it a try.
I hate typical echos and ressonances of closed headphones.
I hope the Momentum doesn't suffer to much from these issues...

Mar 15, 2013 at 7:05 PM Post #1,570 of 3,594
Quote:
I hope that the fact that it's a closed headphone doesn't prevent it to offer some level of sonic transparency, which I highly value, because I'm most certainly going to buy it and give it a try.
I hate typical echos and ressonances of closed headphones.
I hope the Momentum doesn't suffer to much from these issues...

Well, for me I can't avoid comparing it to the SR-007 and LCD-2's which are my main cans... and Momentums obviously are not comparable in transparency to those.. then again, not too many headphones can say that they can be.  The Momentums are not as transparent as something like say the K550's. Then again, those can be much more clinical and sharp sometimes.

I personally don't hear echo, ringing or anything of that sort though.

Mar 16, 2013 at 8:44 PM Post #1,572 of 3,594
Just picked these up. No they're not a D2000 replacement. However, they do pretty much everything that is not bass better than the D2000s and much much more portable.

The bad news is if you have even average sized ears, be prepared to wear these supra-aural.

When I wear these supra-aural, I get a pretty good seal that makes the bass get really prominent and on the verge of overpowering and muddy. However when I wear them circumaural they sound just right although the pads are slightly irritating to my ears.

This is probably the best closed headphone I've heard and we will see if it'll stand up to the test of time, but I'm hopeful :D

Edit for bad grammar

Mar 16, 2013 at 10:26 PM Post #1,574 of 3,594
Quote:
go_quote.gif

Amazon refurbished: ~260 $. Excellent pair although comfort is an issue. I really would like to find bigger earpads, or make them. If anyone has ideas for earpads or tried already something please let me know

They look to me as having pretty wide earpads, did you had this comfort problem with another headphone also?

Mar 16, 2013 at 10:48 PM Post #1,575 of 3,594
They look to me as having pretty wide earpads, did you had this comfort problem with another headphone also?

I really like the Momentum, unfortunately I have to adjust them often, which is not a mayor flaw but not what I was looking for long listening sessions.
I'm not really that difficult with ear pads or headbands, but I won't encourage people with big ears to buy them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back