Sennheiser MOMENTUM Review
Nov 30, 2012 at 8:59 AM Post #826 of 3,594
Any other Momentum users out there who have noticed significant discolouration on the leather ear pads?

By my calculations I've worn them for about 20 hours, and the leather in contact with my skin has turned black/very dark brown, with a clear borderline between the original shade and the new one.
Also last time I checked, winter in Frankfurt isn't exactly tropical, so sweating hasn't been a problem.

But 20 hours!?? Is this normal for leather?

Nov 30, 2012 at 9:39 AM Post #828 of 3,594
Quote:

I tried the Momentum at RMAF 2012 with my iPod Nano 5th Gen > TWag LOD > Pico Slim.  The bass was pretty strong and tight, but I don't think it brought out the mids as they seemed to still fall below the levels of bass and treble.  Changing the source to the iPod Nano 6th Gen seemed to help more (still with Pico Slim).  I didn't try them un-amped, but the main area where the Nano's offer less bass than the Slim is in the 40Hz and below range, so I don't think anything was being "toned down".  I think my RSA SR-71b might have been a better match for the Momentum's bass and mids, and I regret that I didn't have more time to try it, but I waited until closing time on the last day to audition them.

Many thanks for these impressions. I've only started dabbling in headphones, and it's always good to learn how different headphones respond to different portable amps, etc.  For me, there would need to be a pretty meaningful improvement to convince me to take on a portable amp+LOD over just a bare iPhone, which is the reason I own the Momentum (works very well unamped) and returned a Beyerdynamic T5p (clearly in a different league, but significant trade-offs in convenience, comfort, cost, etc.). 

Nov 30, 2012 at 10:41 AM Post #829 of 3,594
is the discoloration removable through any means of washing? 

Nov 30, 2012 at 12:50 PM Post #831 of 3,594
Quote:
I guess not... leather is a living thing, it gets personalized through usage. Adds a nice touch in my view.

Besides that the color change is quite subtle, it does not look dirty or bad in any way.

kind of like just a darker tone? if that's the case then its not so bad then

Nov 30, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #832 of 3,594
My pair only shows slightly darker areas where the leather touches the skin. Would not have noticed it if GREQ had not asked I guess... Have to admit I'm a fan of the aging process of real leather, so to me it looks nice actually :)

Nov 30, 2012 at 4:23 PM Post #833 of 3,594
It's not as bad as I made it out to be - it's only noticeable if it's not being worn and visible in VERY good light.
Indoors out of strong indirect sunlight it's not so easy to discern. 

Nov 30, 2012 at 5:04 PM Post #835 of 3,594
Leather ABSORBS oils from the skin and everyone who owns leather jackets knows what can happen to the collar if you don't wear a collar shirt in between.

The area that touches the skin will eventually become extremely dark brown. There isn't anything you can do about that. This is a side-effect of using genuine real leather as opposed to pleather.

Dec 1, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #839 of 3,594
Before I had received my Momentum, I read about the brown leather turning slightly darker where touched with the skin.  When I finally unboxed them, I put on my headphones for several seconds, took them off, and they had a few dots of discoloration.  It gives it a nice touch.

Dec 1, 2012 at 3:50 PM Post #840 of 3,594
Any momentum come across this problem with their headphone jack?

Before

After

Pretty disappointed considering I've babied these cans since September. I always grab the metal jack when I unplug and this eventually happened. Considering how much they cost it kind of got under my skin a little.

They still work fine though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back