Sennheiser Momentum over ear replacement..... Denon AH-D600 vs Nad Viso HP50 vs B&W P7 vs B&O Beoplay H6 vs Dt770 80/32ohm
Aug 3, 2014 at 5:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

Pedro Oliveira

1000+ Head-Fier
Hi guys... :)

Sorry for bothering but here is the deal... i had the sennheiser momentum and i absolutely loved the sound they had..... problem is.... my ears dont fit inside the pads and therefore the seal is deficient and i am always readjusting the momentums every 5 minutes and its jut impossible to focus on my music like this... therefore i sold them.

I am mostly a indie, pop, rock and edm listener. As i said i like the momentums sound and i also like the sound of my sennheiser hd25 (although a bit more bass on them wouldnt hurt)....

Usually i like my cans to being able to perform without amps and that i can take them anywhere i want.... although this time i dont mind if they just stay at home since i have the hd25 for home use.

I dont like cans that lack impact and that are too colored too the point of sounding muffled like the sony mdr 1r (the singers sounded like they were burried on them).... So basically i want a can that does what the momentums did, fun, clear and not colored with a nice soundstage and fully over ear.

The contenders so far are...

Denon AH-D600 (140 euros)

Nad Viso HP50 (200 euros)

B&W P7 (380 euros last option since i did not want to spent more than 200 euros but from what i read they seem to gather all i want....)

B&O Beoplay H6 (225 euros)

Dt770 80/32ohm (around 130 and 160 euros)

I am leaning toward the denons because the seem to be fun, they seems to have impact, they are the cheapest of the bunch (they used to cost 400 euros) and they seem super comfy. But on the other hand i am afraid they are not on par with the momentums, that they are too loose on the head (i had problem with the akg k550) and that they are too colored or muffled and that thay have too recessed mids.... 

If you guys can help me a bit here i would be more than gratefull.... really need someone to point me the right direction.... :)

Cheers....

Aug 4, 2014 at 6:11 PM Post #2 of 47
Hi Pedro,

You've probably already heard my comments, but I thought I'd chime in again. I mean can you ever get enough of these headphone comparisons? I know how much you like your HD25, which is why I think I can bring some perspective, as I've owned the AH-D600 for quite some time.

I'm also right in the middle of a listening session with some of my headphones and a new dac/amp - JDS Labs C5D.

I think all of those are great selections. I had a chance to audition the P7 and I could tell it was quality. It seemed to be in the vein of the Momentum.  

Recently I picked up a JDS Labs C5D to power my HD650s. I was hoping they'd make more of a difference with my other cans (HD-25, AH-D600, Amperior) but if there are differences, they are subjectively very minor compared to just powering those headphones directly out of the iPhone 4S. I imagine it is better, and perhaps if I was to be able to properly ABX between them I'd tell. In my mind, I am think out of the C5D everything is just a touch clearer and more controlled. Still very respectable sound directly out of the iPhone 4s, so no worries not having a dedicated amp/dac for the HD25 or Ah-D600.  

However, the C5D has brought the HD650s up to a level where I can say  "okay this is what these headphones sound like and I absolutely love them". If they can get better through other sources, great, but right now they lead the pack of my headphones by a margin.

Its hard to place the AH-D600. They have their own character. They are very liquidy sounding to me. I'm immediately comparing them between the HD-25 right now out of the C5D. The C5D has a very cool bass emphasis feature. The D600 doesn't need it, but enabling it for the HD25 brings the low end much closer to the AH-D600. I imagine EQ would do something similar, but this is done right on the board itself, and is conveniently accessed via a switch. Seems like implementing this was not just for fun, but was engineered to be quite musical. The results are great (not that I'm necessarily recommending running out to get the JDS Labs C5D, because for its price you could get another headphone).

What it comes down to is the HD-25 is such a capable headphone, you may not need to get another closed headphone - especially a closed headphone. I'm listening to them right now (Andrew Bayer - Let's Hear That B Section Again!) and they have practically vanished in listening to them. I almost forgot what headphone I was wearing (AH-D600 or HD650). I also have new aftermarket pads, nothing special, but they are quite soft. 

Now switching back to the Ah-D600, yup its more refined, spacious and with detail. For this music its great, just a tad bloomy on the bass (turned off the bass boost of the C5D). On the same album Andrew Bayer - All This Will Happen Again, the pianos have just that much more separation, with quite a bit of weight to them. 

Switching back to the HD25 confirms this. The instruments are more 'stuck' together. The piano less dynamic, especially on the lower registers.

Going back to the Ah-D600, you gain a greater sense of openess and air. I remember first listening to the D600 and thinking it was quite spacious sounding of many of the closed headphones I've listened to over the years.

Switching to rock music:
T Rex – The Wizard
Sparks – Who Don’t Like Kids
The Stranglers – School Mam
Bauhaus – King Volcano

Okay with the HD-25, yeah even a little bit of bass boost can help here. I'm fine either way, but it sure adds just that bit of energy to the percussion, guitar and bass. The C5D has 3 settings for the bass curve so quite useful. Switching back to the D600, its perhaps just a tad sharp on cymbals. T Rex sounds good, but I think overall I'm preferring the HD-25 for rock. Vocals and instruments just seem to be better balanced. 

And for a real reference putting on the HD650s. Yeah, you'd love these :wink: the HD25 would be closer in presentation. Really good. The 650 have even better balance.

And confirming this, switch back to the HD25, more recessed in the lower range, add a bit of bass boost from the C5d, and you know what, this is very very good sound. Closer to the 650s with that bass extension enabled. Anyhow, you can seriously enjoy any rock music with this headphone. Yes it may lose out on some air, but the presentation is so good. If this is Sennheisers 'Grado' then Grados must be quite good (never spent any serious time with them). 

Okay so why do I like the Ah-D600? Well truth be told, I'm not sure I would have purchased them if I had my HD-25s at the time. But what got me interested in them?

Switching genres, lets put on some trance music, more in the vein of psytrance. Playing some tracks by Ritmo on the HD25. Wow, pretty awesome. Plenty of kick, especially with the C5D bass enabled. Pretty enjoyable.

Switching over to the D600, its definitely more visceral, with a whole level of sub-range bass added that just wasn't even there with the HD-25 no matter how much you boost the bass (you'd be just boosting mid-bass). So its quite full. The highs are a bit extended, almost sharp. The large bass and detailed highs can make the mid-range recess with the D600. But with a bit of acclimation, this is what these headphones do well. 

back to the HD25s, and yes, just like other music, you notice everything just kinda of close in and squish together a bit. Balance is fine though, and again after listening for a bit you acclimate and enjoy the music. I'm enjoying doing this test, as its the first time I've been able to really compare these headphones, and with the C5D. I will be running the HD-25s with the C5Ds bass emphasis on, especially for electronic. It sounds that good. 

Going back to the AH-D600, better but perhaps a bit hot on the highs. Not that bad though. Much more space though, you are at a party listening to these headphones.

And for reference over to the 650s who also can use the same level of bass boost as the Hd25. Its a more balanced sound than the D600 for certain, even wider soundstage but not by a huge margin, better transient detail in the mid-range, highs are better and there is plenty of kick, just not very low sub-bass, but better quality of bass than the Hd-25. 

Back to the D600, and they are quite thunderous. See the thing is, you can't or should not be listening at high volumes for too long, as enjoyable as it can be. At lower and relaxed listening levels, where Fletcher-Munson curves are quite different, the non-neutral v-shape signature of the D600 is actually of benefit. At lower levels, it actually is balanced, or creates the perception of balance as you can clearly hear both low and high end. 

To further enable this advantage is that the D600 is closed, so again you can lower the volume and isolate better. It isolates quite well. I don't think you'll have the same problem you had with the 550s. The ear cups on the D600 shape around the ear. They mold to the head, whereas the 550s were more like saucer discs. 

Switching back to the HD-25 on the lower volume, these are so good. A bit of low bass boost (depending on music) and it also works great.

Oh, one last test... time for some drum and bass (The Upbeats - Beyond Reality). HD25s again sounding awesome, with the bass boost on the C5D. Switching them to the C5D highest bass curve, is too much, like distorted mid-bass. 

Going back to the D600, well, actually I thought there would be more of a difference in satisfaction. You immediately hear the change in balance, much brighter highs on the D600. Again, this helps with some detail too. Well there is a lot of difference, mainly that the D600 doesn't need an bass boost enabled, it has that character built-in. Definetely there is more air and depth. 

So after all of that, again. With any of those headphones on your list, be it D600, NAD, or P7, they may be more refined in certain areas, have a larger soundstage, and be comfortable. But as far as enjoyment, the HD-25 is pretty high up there.

So if you really need the isolation of a closed headphone, something that is very comfy, would use it with both music and movies, would take advantage of its high-quality long cable and shorter iphone cable, and no dedicated amp requirements then the D600 is a good choice. Great for low-moderate volume listening, electronic, pop, acoustic and instrumental music. Maybe not the best with vocal orientated music.  It has very good detail and technicalities, but its quite a different signature than the HD-25. Which to me is fine, why have two so similar closed headphones? Yes the HD-25 is very portable, but with the right pads and cables can also be your home closed set.

Ultimately if you are going to spend the money, get something that will compliment rather than replace the character of your HD25.  

For comfort, detail, spaciousness, you can get an open headphone such as the Fidelio X1, HD558/598, etc. 

I've owned all of these closed headphones - MRD-1r, MDR-V6, K271, SRH-840, MDR-V600, Koss TBSE, HD-280, Amperior.  The HD-25 I've owned for years, with a bit of hiatus after lending them to a friend. I've heard nothing like them. Even the Amperior is quite different.

Enjoy your HD25.

Aug 4, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #4 of 47
Okay with the HD-25, yeah even a little bit of bass boost can help here. I'm fine either way, but it sure adds just that bit

So if you really need the isolation of a closed headphone, something that is very comfy, would use it with both music and movies, would take advantage of its high-quality long cable and shorter iphone cable, and no dedicated amp requirements then the D600 is a good choice. Great for low-moderate volume listening, electronic, pop, acoustic and instrumental music. Maybe not the best with vocal orientated music.  It has very good detail and technicalities, but its quite a different signature than the HD-25. Which to me is fine, why have two so similar closed headphones? Yes the HD-25 is very portable, but with the right pads and cables can also be your home closed set.

Ultimately if you are going to spend the money, get something that will compliment rather than replace the character of your HD25.  

For comfort, detail, spaciousness, you can get an open headphone such as the Fidelio X1, HD558/598, etc. 

I've owned all of these closed headphones - MRD-1r, MDR-V6, K271, SRH-840, MDR-V600, Koss TBSE, HD-280, Amperior.  The HD-25 I've owned for years, with a bit of hiatus after lending them to a friend. I've heard nothing like them. Even the Amperior is quite different.

Enjoy your HD25.

Hi there my dear friend.... :)

You already know i am super confused.... Thank you very much for this extended set of impressions, it has been a blasy reading all this as it just made me realize how much i really made a amaxing deal for the hd25s and how much i like them.... Also when you said andrew bayer i was hooked...

I did not know you had the sennheiaer hd650.... The x1 for me ia a chance for sure, it is cheaper than the hd650 and many say they are similar. The hd5*8 line of senns is not really for me, i tried the three of them, i liked the mids and highs of the 598 but the bass is too loose and too little for me, the other 500s have more bass but its still loose and the mids and the highs are not that good. To be honest the type pf sound the 500 senns provide its not really my cup of tea. As i said i am looking for something close to the momentums sound and with more space so maybe the denons are really my best option. I am a bit affraid because of two things you said though... On one hand i was happy because they dont seem to be colored or muffled sounding wich i hate and i saw some people comparing them to the hd650s (many say the denons soubd the same but with more highs) and its also good to knoe that they are fit bettet than the k550 wich had a horrible fit due to the pancake cups....
On the other hand something scares me.... The highs on the hd25s are already enough.... The denons have even more? The other thing is recessed vocals.... How recessed? Sometimes i like to listen to some florence and the machine or some london grammar so too recessed is not very good.... More recessed than on the ath m50?

For now the d600 indeed looks like my best option...

The nads seems too flat sounding... The focal pros are flat and have small pads like the mometum, the hd6 seems to lack bass impact so its not for me at all....

The b&w p7 seem perfexct for me.... But c'mon.... 400 euros? I just want to spend 200 tops...

The denons seem like a great deal but i still jhave some doubts.... Although for home use i would not go higher than lets say, 60 70% straight from my 4th gen ipod touch.... When i use the hd25 i usuallybdont do higher than that for home listening and on the streets i never go above the 75 or 80% volume...

Returning to your comparison.... I still havent totally forgotten the amperiors... Would you be kind enough to do the same but now with the amperiors? :) if its not too much trouble of course and if u have fun doing it.... :)

Today i had an offer for my hd25s and i started to think again.... Should i sell them and for a tiny bit more of money get the amperior? But today i was talking yo other head fi user and he told me that the differences are indeed small and that the amperior unamped is better straight from a android or idevice..... But when amped with a fiio e11.... It seems the hd25 slays the amperior.... Would like to read a bit more on that.... I really would like a amperior but i am starting to think that the amperior as much more versatyle drivers...

I do also agree on you on the hd25\amperior being amazing home cans, althought they are not the most confortable they are the only pair i tried so far that allows to rest my head on a pillow without loosing fit or seal. They are so small that they almost dont touch the pillow and basically its easy to fall asleep with them.......but after a few minutes you wake up due to the clamping force..,. :-D

Tell me what you think, a comparison between hd25, amperior and hd600 with the same songs would be amazing.... :)

Cheers and thank you for all once again malfunkt... :)

Aug 4, 2014 at 10:00 PM Post #6 of 47
I already got one. Unfortunately I paid the regular tag price. Despite that Imho they are the best portable cans under 400 usd available in the market. Good luck in your quest!

Aug 5, 2014 at 2:46 AM Post #7 of 47
Tell me what you think, a comparison between hd25, amperior and hd600 with the same songs would be amazing.... :)

Cheers and thank you for all once again malfunkt... :)

Hi Pedro,

I still stand by my observations in my past posts regrading the differences between the Amperior and the HD-25.

To my ears, the differences are not slight. Definitely you can hear the commonalities between the drivers but the Amperior is tuned quite different. The Amperior high end is extended yet clear, and it has more emphasis on the bass.

The HD25 continues to grow on me and while it may lose some of the sparkle that the Amperior has, I prefer it's tonal balance.

Owning both, the hd25 is the classic. I don't have the Amperiors on hand right now, they have been very useful at work, both for calls and listening. I would part with them, only because they are in amazing condition, and I don't need to have as many headphones as I do (wasn't expecting to get such a good deal on the hd650s and so glad I got them). If I had to keep one between the Hd25 and the Amperior, I'd keep the Amperior, more for its refinement, but I'd miss the hd25. My hd25 is so beaten up, but working perfectly.

Okay, let's get started then. Glad to know you like Andrew Bayer as well, sound like you and I have similar reference. I DJ mostly house, tech house, but I also play progressive and some trance. I appreciate Andrew Bayer as he is diverse, and expressive beyond just the conventional dance styles, but not pretentiously so. Great to hear his music evolve.

Round 1 - HD25-1 II 70ohm Made in Ireland

Listening to Andrew Bayer - Soul Cry on the hd25. I listened all the way without bass boost on the c5d, and honestly it's fine without. Listening it to again with the bass boost is more for fun and full body warmth on the low end without having to crank the volume up to get the same effect. Listening to this track, wow . It's incredible. :) right now bobbing away thinking can this get better?

One more listen, this time just through the iPhone 4s. Hard to say. Sounds very good. Is it just me or does the bass impact suck away a bit of the dynamic. Could just be the side chain compression effect on the track. Switching back to the c5d, hmm, I think it does sound more transparent and just breathes a bit better. Close, but I'll do my listening from now on with these headphones using the c5d. It's great having that immediate control on the bass.

Again, the chimes and reverb effects on the end sound great, perhaps a bit metallic, but that could be the effects used. That was a superb listen

2minute break for silence

Round 2 - Denon AH-D600

Much more lower end right off the bat. Whoomph. The synth mids are fine though, and certainly swirl more around the head, didn't even really notice that before. 2:00 in to the track as some of the details light up in the percussion, the d600 has some bite, and you can hear all of these crunchy little details. Remember how I was talking about the separation of instruments, here the d600 is better and these parts can be heard independently. Where some may not like the sound, or may need to adjust, is that the d600 bass is more present like a subwoofer in the room of your home theatre. At the closing parts of the track, 2:36 you hear a bass drop. The sub bass rolls right off. Switching back to the hd25 just for this part, you can still hear it, but it trails off quicker than the d600 even with the bass boost on. On the d600, that bass sounds more controlled and has a linear drop to it.

Skipping to another track from the same album Opening Act. On the D600 , right from the opening, the presentation is lush, and as soon as the percussion drops, you can almost feel it. The bass is actually quite soft with the d600. This is quite a dense track. In the breaks, it is quite impressive listening to this on the d600. These headphones have a lot of detail. Switching to the hd25 for the same song. I just realized, whoops I had listened to the past song on the d600 with the bass boost on. Listening to this song with no bass boost and on the hd25. Less spacious, nice midrange with enough texture. The bass kicks are light, too much so that some impact is lost. I love the bass boost of the c5d! Switching that back on is practically cheating for the hd25 but works so well. But I will refrain, so without the bass boost the percussion lows are a tad light. You have to increase the volume to get more impact and then the mids push too hard. I'm feeling a bit sad panda, I want my bass back!

Switching to the D600, bass boost off. This headphone does not need that. Okay much better. Kick has punch, lower range of poly synths have more emotional weight. The lower end is part of the musicality and composition of the song. Drives me crazy to watch some people listen to bass orientated music like dub step, on the tiniest of speakers, some of the music is bad enough, but then you are only listening to half of it? Wth.

Anyhow I digress.

The d600 wins this round because of its lower end body, spaciousness, and technical dynamics. I really think the d600 is well suited to this type of electronica. The hd25 gets much closer with that bass boost on. Very very nice.

Round 3 - HD650

I'm a bit scared. Let's start with Opening Act. No bass boost on the c5d, and right from the get go this headphone has superior balance to both the hd25 and d600. But when that bass kicks, guess what, same pitter patter that the hd25 had. However, it isn't incorrect. It sounds like percussion, but has much less bass impact. I know the bass should be there, only because I have a pretty kickin car stereo and that subwoofer would kick in the door with this track. So switching on the bass boost on the c5d.voila! Like the HD25 but better in all respects. More transient detail, more air and life to all of the sounds. Going back to Soul Cry. Really impressive. Bass boost off, but now it seems that this is just right. The kick doesn't over take anything.

Immediately switching to the d600. Surprise. Sounds luscious. Not very far behind and perhaps even ahead in some of the detail. The sennheiser just has a more reference balance. But for instance the chimes/glockenspiel sounds on this track sound incredible on the d600. So much air and space.

I'm going to name the winner to the hd650. Even though it doesn't represent the low end as much as the d600, it's reference balance and signature is just brilliant throughout. Switching back to the d600 just one more time for this song. Hmm. This is pretty tough. I really like the lower end extension here. If the d600 just had a bit more relaxed of a signature it could beat out the hd650. It's subjective here though, because as I'm listening to the denon it is clear as a bell. Lower the volume a bit, and you can still hear all the low texture. Really nice stuff for electronic music. And without need for an amp. Can't stress that enough, and for such silly price.

Is the hd650 worth it's $300+ dollars plus another similar amount for an amp/DAC? Yes, but then compare that to the insane prices some of the Denons have gone for.

Let's use this same album as reference again.take the track closing act. This sounds absolutely rich on the d600, with the bass section of the orchestral elements having real body to it. The high strings sound a tad strident here. Not to say incorrect. Switching over to the hd650. Pretty similar, and actually more realistic. Does that leads section need that much representation? Perhaps not. In this listen the upper end of the string arrangements are easier on the ears. Again this is the reference signature of the hd650. Much better balance. Switch back to the d600. Just a different signature, but clarity may actually be higher on the d600. Soundstage is damn close and the d600 is a closed headphone!

Rewinding back to the string sections I thought were a bit strident, and it's hard to say. They are but they are also defined and pronounced. And while listening to the hd650 made this track sound more classical, there is a whole layer of low end bass that adds some backbone to the track, and it's meant to be heard and more so felt when listening through loudspeakers. The d600 replicates this with their low end emphasis. Not all headphone listeners may like this, but it works for my ears and mind.

Very close. D600 and hd650. Both good in different ways.

If anything, the technicalities I spoke about with the d600, it has this enough so to compete with the hd650 it just doesn't have the reference signature in its frequency curve that is tuned for classical recordings. The d600 is tuned for electronic though. It is an incredible headphone, and I think beats many closed headphones.

Just for fun, listening to Echo from the same album on the hd25. After all this spacious listening, the hd25 is more closed in. But it's still good. Really great mid range texture, may even prefer it to the d600, but it's actually very comparable. Polite on the bass kicks, the high end detail and sparkle is a bit rolled off too. Quickly switching to the d600. So much bigger. Lots of gentler parts that you can now hear separate, bass has punch. Sorry hd25, but this has you beat. What I love about the d600 is that despite its tuning, it has enough detail and retrieval to hear all of the aspects of each song. It's just the presentation that can set it back. Primarily the bass emphasis, which is probably 4db more than it should be for more reference sound. I don't even bother EQing this headphone though, I let my mind balance it out, but it is just going to have plenty of weight to everything it gets it's mitts - or should I say cups - on.

But yeah. The d600 is better than the hd25 in a number of areas. It just leads to a more involved and impressive listen on this album. Again, it does this, without an amp. Spaciousness despite being closed. Clarity, lots of clarity.

If you like your music to have some thump to it, then the d600 is going to be your friend.

My ears are getting a bit tired, and it's late. So this will conclude this one test.

One thing that I've noticed recently, in a totally different test was playing back binaural field recordings. I'm using the app Naturespace. The hd650 is much better than any headphone I've owned before in this respect. On the d600 the sounds were just side to side, but on the 650, the more neutral signature and perhaps some of the 650s dynamics just leaves the d600 in the dust. The effect is much more realistic, and you feel you are more in a sphere with sounds completely enveloping you in all directions rather than just a horizontal axis. See my signature for more details about this app.

Aug 5, 2014 at 4:45 AM Post #8 of 47
Hi Pedro,

Is the hd650 worth it's $300+ dollars plus another similar amount for an amp/DAC? Yes, but then compare that to the insane prices some of the Denons have gone for.

You got me convinced on the d600 for home use.... I am sure the hd650 but they cost twice as much as the denons and also they would have me spending money on a amp and with thay money i could basically buy a new amperior. :-D

I am just a bit affraid of how they lead with calmer and more vocal stuff like james blake, london grammar, lana del rey etc..... I also listen to some biffy clyro, artic monkeys.... On all this music vocals are a bit important but also for stuff like biffy clyro speed and snare is important.

I think i a! Ordering them though. If i dont like them ill return them.... Just one question about the fit.... Although not being the tightest at least when sitting with the d600s can you freely move your head without loosing the fit or the seal (do you note any difference on bass response while doing this?)?

Regarding the amperiors.... I am really confused... I really would like the hd25 to have a bit more punch and bass quantity and the highs to be be just a tad more controlled while retaining the same great mids and clarity of the hd25s. Basically i want a fuller sounding hd25. I can easilly sell my hd25 for 120 euros and with more 20 euros aded i can get a new silver amperior.... But i am affraid ill regret it... If comfort and soundstage are also improved while maintaining the same great isolation and fit that would be awesome.....

I really think the amperior would suit me well.... It indeed seems like a fuller, bassier, and more refined sounding than the hd25 while retaining its beautifull clear sound, i am just scared i might miss the hd25.... :-D would love to keep them all but i have to sell one if i want the other.... :)

Otherwise i cant afford the d600 as well... :)

Aug 5, 2014 at 8:06 AM Post #9 of 47
I have never listened to the H6 so couldn't evaluate them. Probably not a good "replacement" for the Momentum anyway as they by reading reviews seem to be on the other end of the spectrum in terms of bass.

My ranking:

HP50
P7 (got them myself due to the better fit compared to both HP50 and the Momentum)
DT770 (even though I wouldn't recommend them if you like a bit of bass)
D600 (liked the D7100, but not even close to being worth the money)

Can't really think of a thing the D600 does better than the HP50 or P7. DT770 is a very different kind of headset so I could see why some might prefer them. Would always go with the HP50 if they fit right (so poorly designed).

Aug 5, 2014 at 8:36 AM Post #10 of 47
  I have never listened to the H6 so couldn't evaluate them. Probably not a good "replacement" for the Momentum anyway as they by reading reviews seem to be on the other end of the spectrum in terms of bass.

My ranking:

HP50
P7 (got them myself due to the better fit compared to both HP50 and the Momentum)
DT770 (even though I wouldn't recommend them if you like a bit of bass)
D600 (liked the D7100, but not even close to being worth the money)

Can't really think of a thing the D600 does better than the HP50 or P7. DT770 is a very different kind of headset so I could see why some might prefer them. Would always go with the HP50 if they fit right (so poorly designed).

The h6 is scratched from the list.... i robably read the same as you and not only are they less bassier than the momentums  and p7's but also they have even less bass than the hp50 (wich is not a bassheavy already). I am not a basshead do not get me wrong, but to me the quantity and even the type of bass from the momentums was near perfect for me.

The p7's seem to be the perfect fit for me. From what i read they share a similar sound with the momentums but the bass goes lower and the highs extend better. Thing..... 400 euros? Dammmmmmmmmmmmmmn........ thats too much for me.... i wanted to spend half.....

The hp50 seems indeed to be very good but since i like the momentums full bass and since i crave a little more bass on my hd25's, i dont know if the hp50's would suit me. And there is another issue. My ears stick out a bit, not much but they do and i had the mdr 1 r and my ears lightly touched the drivers.... it was not horrible but sometimes it was distracting and from what i read the pads on the hp50 are bigger than on the momentums of course but they seem to be even less thickerd than the ones on the mdr 1r and i already saw some complaints about the ears touching the drivers.....

Yeahhh the p7's  would be nice but that price is simply not near what i am willing to spend.... at all....

I am considering th d600's for home use because they seem to be good.... indeed many say they are not worth the inicial retail price wich was 400 or 500 euros but right now the german amazon is selling them for 138 euros.... thats why i am so interested..... 

Aug 5, 2014 at 9:15 AM Post #11 of 47
I have both the Momentums and the D600, and I think the D600, is far better than the Momentums. They have a similar signature but the D600 is a bit more detailed in the highs, and has more bass to it but you could tighten the bass up with a cheap little mod to make the headphone sound overall pretty "neutral".

Aug 5, 2014 at 9:17 AM Post #12 of 47
Fair enough. I do wonder how much of an upgrade they are though. I guess Malfunkt has answered that question in more detail than I ever will.

Odd how the pricing is significantly different from country to country. In Norway the P7 is also around €380, but the HP50 is not €180 cheaper, but around €90.

Aug 5, 2014 at 10:54 AM Post #13 of 47
I have both the Momentums and the D600, and I think the D600, is far better than the Momentums. They have a similar signature but the D600 is a bit more detailed in the highs, and has more bass to it but you could tighten the bass up with a cheap little mod to make the headphone sound overall pretty "neutral".

But the bass is too loose on the denons whe compared with the momentums? What mod? How are the mids on the denons? Are voices crystal clear as on the senns? Do you think they are good all rounders like the momentums?
What types of music do you listen to?
Are they too loose on your head? Can you move your head without loosing the fit or seal? (what head size are u? :-D )

Aug 5, 2014 at 11:12 AM Post #14 of 47
Fair enough. I do wonder how much of an upgrade they are though. I guess Malfunkt has answered that question in more detail than I ever will.

Odd how the pricing is significantly different from country to country. In Norway the P7 is also around €380, but the HP50 is not €180 cheaper, but around €90.

Upgrade? You are talking about the hd25s and the amperior right?
The nads are at 198 on the french amazon...

Aug 5, 2014 at 11:17 AM Post #15 of 47
But the bass is too loose on the denons whe compared with the momentums? What mod? How are the mids on the denons? Are voices crystal clear as on the senns? Do you think they are good all rounders like the momentums?
What types of music do you listen to?
Are they too loose on your head? Can you move your head without loosing the fit or seal? (what head size are u? :-D )

This mod, http://www.head-fi.org/t/653995/my-very-simple-denon-d600-mod, tightens up the bass.

The vocal clarity is in my opinion, better than the Momentums, which I think has a mids that are a bit recessed.

I listen to Female Vocals, Jrock, Metal ( Prog,Death), Classic rock and Hip Hop, and I think the D600 is a pretty good all rounder.

They have a bit of a clamp to them but nothing like say a DTXX0 pro or a Audeze.

Also i think for 187(140 euro) the D600 is a steal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back