Sennheiser Momentum On-Ear Impressions
Jul 15, 2015 at 11:11 PM Post #526 of 581
They're entirely different, mids are incredibly recessed on the on ear and the over ear they are very forward in comparison. I have and like both of them but they will definitely cater to different tastes

Mids are not recessed on the on-ear at all. They're more forward than the over-ear and more balanced to a degree.  Very in-your-face.

Jul 16, 2015 at 12:21 AM Post #528 of 581
Mids are not recessed on the on-ear at all. They're more forward than the over-ear and more balanced to a degree.  Very in-your-face.

I have them both too. I think they have more in common than what separates them.

Cheers,
K

Jul 17, 2015 at 12:30 PM Post #530 of 581
Damn these are bass heavy... I'm not sure if I like them... In a loud tram Or bus they might be ok. For hip hop and rock they are ok as well. But it's not for bass heavy electro the bass can get too much there...
I'll keep them though :) Design is just awesome :):)

Jul 27, 2015 at 12:41 PM Post #531 of 581
Los of information on the thread and I have tried to read a great deal of it but I have a simple question.   Buying a pair of these for my teenage son for his birthday.  I notice a pretty huge price difference on Amazon for the first edition to the second edition.  I know asking which is better is a loaded question but can someone give a quick summary of the major difference?  Comfort, sound, durability?   If it helps he mostly listens to classic rock, heavy metal type stuff.  Thanks.

Jul 27, 2015 at 2:10 PM Post #533 of 581
  Los of information on the thread and I have tried to read a great deal of it but I have a simple question.   Buying a pair of these for my teenage son for his birthday.  I notice a pretty huge price difference on Amazon for the first edition to the second edition.  I know asking which is better is a loaded question but can someone give a quick summary of the major difference?  Comfort, sound, durability?   If it helps he mostly listens to classic rock, heavy metal type stuff.  Thanks.

I love mine and I mostly listen to classic rock (70' & 80's)
wink_face.gif
My 12 year old son loved them the most of my on-ears so I gave him a pair as well and he listens to whatever 12 year old's listen to today however he loves Marshall Mathers
rolleyes.gif
It's his mothers fault
evil_smiley.gif
LOL

I actually have a nice Ivory pair coming from Music Direct "B" Stock ($64.99) but with full warranty, I love their size and sound. Not to large to travel in as well.

Jul 27, 2015 at 2:19 PM Post #534 of 581

wink_face.gif
My 12 year old son loved them the most of my on-ears so I gave him a pair as well and he listens to whatever 12 year old's listen to today however he loves Marshall Mathers
rolleyes.gif
It's his mothers fault
evil_smiley.gif
LOL

I actually have a nice Ivory pair coming from Music Direct "B" Stock ($64.99) but with full warranty, I love their size and sound. Not to large to travel in as well.

Have you compared version 1 to version 2.  Having a hard time justifying spending more than twice as much for the newer version but I don't want to buy the older one if there is a major difference.

Jul 27, 2015 at 3:13 PM Post #535 of 581

Have you compared version 1 to version 2.  Having a hard time justifying spending more than twice as much for the newer version but I don't want to buy the older one if there is a major difference.

Unfortunately I have not (you might go back into this thread because I think I saw some comparison talk somewhere in here), I like the older version 1 sound and price if you can still get them. I think MD might have a few more pairs as well, might check the bay too. I think they are a great on-ear for <$100, remember they started at $230 I think.

Jul 27, 2015 at 3:19 PM Post #536 of 581

Unfortunately I have not (you might go back into this thread because I think I saw some comparison talk somewhere in here), I like the older version 1 sound and price if you can still get them. I think MD might have a few more pairs as well, might check the bay too. I think they are a great on-ear for <$100, remember they started at $230 I think.

Thanks.  Definitely available on Amazon for less than $100.   At that price they seem worth a shot.

Jul 27, 2015 at 3:54 PM Post #537 of 581

wink_face.gif
rolleyes.gif
It's his mothers fault
evil_smiley.gif
LOL

I cannot answer your question directly, because I only have the original Momentum On-Ear (MOE).  I find it to be very well built.  My suspicion is that the second generation is very similar.  (I read that the MOE-2 has the cable connection on the right side, rather than the more common left side, and the earpad openings are apparently slightly larger on the MOE-2.  Also the MOE-2 folds.) 
The MOE-2 comes with only one cable, with remote controls (choice of iPod or Android), while the original MOE comes with an iPod cable and a straight cable with no controls.  Since the connector on the headphone side is proprietary, it is not trivial or very cheap to obtain replacement cables.  The iPod cable does not work with some extension cords (such as the one I use at my office
smily_headphones1.gif
), even for plain music listening.  If you get the original MOE, you may therefore save the cost and hassle of buying new cables, unless you need an Android cable.

Now, some comments from the point of view of a father.
The folding mechanism may be a bad idea for a headphone to be used by a 12-year old.
There is a special edition of the MOE on sale from Sennheiser---see  http://www.head-fi.org/t/775815/enjoy-25-off-sennheiser-momentum-ingress#post_11790836.   As a parent of a 12-year old, I would avoid it, because it is tied to a game for older people---that is, of course, just my opinion.
Your 12-year old son should be delighted to receive a headphone as good as the MOE!  I would buy the refurbished ivory model from adgtron via amazon.com (http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D77UA44) for $39.99 and not look back.

Jul 27, 2015 at 7:33 PM Post #538 of 581

There should be a noticeable difference given that the v2 earpads have a bigger opening than the v1.  It's not going to be drastic as the rest of the v2 headphone looks to be pretty much the same, ignoring the folding joints.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back