Sennheiser Momentum impressions thread
Aug 25, 2013 at 10:10 PM Post #181 of 931
I love these headphones sooo much! My only gripe with them is the cable. I have no idea why they made the cord so flimsy. 
size]
 I am going to be returning these for the Alpha Dogs by MrSpeakers soon. Overall I think that these are wonderful closed headphones that would appeal to almost everyone!
size]

Aug 26, 2013 at 2:44 AM Post #182 of 931
Quote:
I love these headphones sooo much! My only gripe with them is the cable. I have no idea why they made the cord so flimsy. 
size]
 I am going to be returning these for the Alpha Dogs by MrSpeakers soon. Overall I think that these are wonderful closed headphones that would appeal to almost everyone!
size]

What exactly do you mean by flimsy?

Aug 26, 2013 at 7:16 AM Post #183 of 931
Quote:
size]
size]

The cable feels flimsy because it's thin but it doesn't mean it's low quality. In fact, it's made out of kevlar.
http://en-us.sennheiser.com/over-ear-headphone-momentum-stereo

Aug 26, 2013 at 8:45 AM Post #184 of 931
Guys... one question...

My years are about 6,8 cm....
I have been mesuring the hole on the pads of the momentum.... And they are not even 5,5 cm!!!!!

I've been looking online and it seems the avegare ar size for males is around 6,3/6,4 cm....

Who te hell can stuck their ears totally in there (the holes)????

Who has 5,4 cm ears?????????? XD 

Although to me they feel over ear because when i have them put on i simply dont get an on ear feeling... Only just a tiny bit of my ears seems to be left out... I can get a very good seal still...

Aug 26, 2013 at 10:34 AM Post #185 of 931
The cable definitely feels flimsy, but I've had mine for almost six months and I use them daily on my commute, the cable is only showing a little wear. Cable is showing more wear than any other part of the cans. 

Aug 27, 2013 at 3:03 AM Post #187 of 931
Check a couple of pages back, there are some comparisons already made between the two there. The consensus I draw from that is that Momentum is much better sounding? Ironically the ATH-M50 and Momentum cost the same here in South Africa. Easy choice then!

Aug 28, 2013 at 1:34 AM Post #189 of 931
Just came back to the momentum after enjoying trying many different headphones. I loved them before but I had fit issues with my ears. After listening to its competition, most notably Sony MDR 1R I decided to live with any fit issues.

To my surprise, a little tilting has made a huge difference. Specifically, if you place the headband further back on your head at nearly a 45 degree angle to your chin but not quite, the earcup will also tilt. This forces them to better mirror your ears natural shape, i.e. taller toward the back than the front, and creates a more comfortable fit for me. This leaves the ear cups around my upper ears and on top of just the lobes. Since the earpads are such high quality they place only light pressure on the lobe and it allows for hours of comfortable listening. 

Just thought I would pass along the tip to owners and prospectives who were worried about the "on ear" nature of the can. 

Aug 28, 2013 at 8:42 PM Post #190 of 931
I am in the same boat as you guerrilaw.... 68 mm ears and although i get the over ear effect (the pads seem to be elastic) my ears hurt a tiny bit after about 40 minutes or so.... but not major pain...

Is it only me or the momentums although being a great all rounder do not handle bass very well whem it comes to edm? I am listening to a couple of trance and progressive house tracks right now and sometimes the bass seems a bit loose.... 

They sound like a treat listening to biffy clyro though... XD

Aug 29, 2013 at 10:11 AM Post #191 of 931
Hi Pedro

The Sennheiser HD 598 is a great choice for open back. I would consider getting the HD 650 as long as you can afford to spend upwards to $500 on amplification.

The HD 598 does not need an amplifier if plugged straight into a laptop, though you might want to use the portable amplifier when connected to an iPhone. They definitely sound better, bigger, and wider with amplification, and you will not have to spend so much on amplification like you would if you bought an HD 650. I use an E11, though I plan on upgrading in the near future.

I should say that the Sennheiser HD 598 is a totally different experience from the Sennheiser momentum. The HD 598 is bigger, wider, and has a little more of a treble tilt. The Sennheiser Momentum is sweeter, a bit more refined, warmer, more like a miniature HD 650. They are different kinds of headphones, so a comparison is not really fair. I love them both equally. If I could only have one set of headphones in the world, I would keep the Momentum.

It is all just a matter of opinion, but I was disappointed in the congested claustrophobic sound of the M 50s. The resolution is sharp enough, and the drums and bass are punchy, But I am just not a fan of that sealed congested experience. Part of it is because the M 50s fit so tightly around the head.

From my perspective, the Momentum is way better than the M 50s in every way, except they might not be as punchy as the M50s down low.

Aug 29, 2013 at 10:16 AM Post #192 of 931
I should also say that the Sennheiser Momentum is closer in sound signature to the Sennheiser HD 438 than anything else I've heard. But the Momentum is superior in every way: More detail, better resolution, more sparkly, more clear, better build quality. Of course this is to be expected at the price points.

I will say that the HD 438 is more comfortable and significantly cheaper.

By the way, early reports suggest that the Momentum over ear is superior to the Momentum on ear, at least that is what I am hearing from audiophiles. I will try to test one out to confirm.

Sep 2, 2013 at 5:47 AM Post #193 of 931
I bought a refurbished Momentum from Amazon for slightly more than €200.

I had already tried the Momentum at the Apple Store, but that's not exactly the ideal environment to try out a headphone
tongue.gif

Now that I have them at home, I can already say that the Momentum is indeed the best portable I've tried. For me, it easily trounces the HD25 and the Amperior (sibilant, too metallic), the KEF M500 (no bass impact, too much emphasis on upper mids), and the V-Moda M-100 (too much bass, at the expense of mids and detail) in the same price tier. I don't know why the Momentum is marketed as a laid-back headphone for relaxing. This thing has impact and energy in spades. The bass is outstanding in quality and quantity; I guess it can be too much for certain genres, but I don't find it as invasive and overpowering as in the V-Moda M-100. Vocals are almost perfect. There is a hint of sibilance in the highs, but it's just a hint; the Momentum will never make a track more sibilant than it is, as will happen with the HD25 or the HiFiMan HE-400. The detail is much better than I expected, and the same goes for the soundstage. In the Apple Store, the Momentum sounded more congested than it really is.
The overall signature of the Momentum is smooth and musical. I'm finding it perfectly suitable to most of my music. As I had already suspected, the Momentum is very close to an over-the-ear version of the Senn IE8 - and for me, this can only be a good thing
beyersmile.png

Aestethically it's wonderful, but I guess everyone knows this already
wink_face.gif
I got the brown version; I like the black cups and headband, but the red threads and cable spoil the effect for me (V-Moda got the all-black look right).

If I have to find one flaw, it's the clamp. It's not as tight as the AKG K518 (K81 in the US), but it does hurt a bit.

I don't see myself letting this headphone go for a long, long time
atsmile.gif

Sep 3, 2013 at 5:03 PM Post #195 of 931
Would it be prudent to apply a leather conditioner or protectant to the ear cups? I've never had leather ear cups before. I was thinking about using some dressing I have for leather motorcycle jackets; I think it's made by Lexol who are known for quality leather products for leather automobile interiors and whatnot. Figured I'd better check with you guys first though.

I love these headphones and want to keep them in tip top shape for the long haul.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back