Sennheiser Momentum impressions thread
Dec 7, 2013 at 11:36 AM Post #286 of 931
Got my Sennheiser Momentum today, and they fitted my ears despite I consider myself to have a little big ears. The strange thing is that I think they sound worse/the same as ATH-M50. Did I just pay $200 more for headphones sounding almost exactly the same?

where did you buy them?

Dec 7, 2013 at 12:28 PM Post #287 of 931
where did you buy them?

At a quite big web store here in Norway. I see a person has given it a 3/5 star review in that store because of lack of bass and depth, while the treble is quite average, when everywhere else the sound-quality is rated as top-notch!

Think I'm going for Fidelio X1, instead.

Dec 7, 2013 at 3:29 PM Post #288 of 931
At a quite big web store here in Norway. I see a person has given it a 3/5 star review in that store because of lack of bass and depth, while the treble is quite average, when everywhere else the sound-quality is rated as top-notch!

Think I'm going for Fidelio X1, instead.

Well, that means it is no fake.

If you like the ATH-M50, you could try the ATH-ES10. It is a light improvement.

Dec 8, 2013 at 6:21 AM Post #289 of 931
I got my Momentums yesterday. I think if my first proper headphone purchase would've been these instead of the Momentum On-Ears, my audiophile journey would have stopped before it ever really began. The SQ is just amazing. Now I see where the people complaining about the Momentum On-Ears come from.

Dec 9, 2013 at 11:37 AM Post #290 of 931
Laptop broke down on me so I had to set off on a trip to Maplins.... surprised to see that they've lifted themselves out from the 'junk electronic cheap trash' status as they now have Momentums on display next to a variety of headphones to play with, all from your own source. Hooked up my AK120 to the Momentums and yeah, some good stuff especially coming from my iGrados which are good for some tracks and not so good for others. The enclosed design of the Momentums drew me into Yukimi Nagano's track and I noticed that it was recorded to sound echo like, as though she were in a chamber rather than a studio. Maybe its the 'phones? They made the mistake of having the on-ears next to the over ears and it was an immediate no go. Still, the Momentums did not fit me... as expected few companies are yet to cater to those few of us with Afros and big hair, the Sens would not fit over my 'fro... more to the point, they did not clamp down about my ears, 'fro or no 'fro I noticed that they felt cheap considering the price, they felt VERY cheap and on that factor alone I would stay away. Poor build quality. Upped the rank of the B&W P7 which are now hovering closer to £300 and have a far superior build quality although I'm yet to test the sound.

General thumbs down for Sens IMO.... unless it was the store stock having been used so much. Lame.

Dec 9, 2013 at 11:48 AM Post #291 of 931
.... ok.... I mean, its obvious that Sens are going for a certain market and B&W another, I don't get the feeling that you're going to be out and about on your bike/skateboard with the B&W's, even rushing through commuter traffic is a saline risk to the plush lambskin earcups so there's no 'real' comparison between the models but Sens IMO made a mistake in going for the portablity factor in them being too light as it translates immediately to a lack of value against the price and thats what I felt, almost immediately. Am guessing that a more fair comparison would be between them and Vmoda by way of Market anticipation which is where many comparisons go so horribly wrong. Comparing luxury headphones made for people in Jaguars attending expensive schools for the day against headphones made for people on buses dodging evil police officers on their average commute.... figure I'm an inbetweener.
cool.gif

Dec 9, 2013 at 7:01 PM Post #294 of 931
For me, part of the charm with the Momentum is how little it improves with amping. It's so easy to drive. Is there something about its sound signature you're trying to tweak? 

I don't agree, but I know where you're coming from. I tried several amps and Momentum always sounded best directly from laptop, but Pan Am changed everything. So I'm asking if anyone here also found this to be happening or is it my imagination only :D

Dec 10, 2013 at 2:05 PM Post #295 of 931
I have been doing A B comparisons with my Sennheiser HD 600, Sennheiser Momentum, and HD 598

I use my FiO0 e12 portable amplifier

I also threw my HD 439 in the mix.

The HD 439 was only $59 at Best Buy. it has a sound signature similar to the Momentum, with noticeably less clarity and fidelity, but a wider soundstage.The Momentum also makes better bass.

The HD 598 has a treble tilted emphasis to my ears.I wish it made better bass.

The Momentum sounds like a Hi Fi headphone with my FiOO e12 and my Galaxy 4s. It is definitely a warmer headphone than the HD 598, but with better fidelity, better bass, & a smaller soundstage.

The HD 600 is the most neutral sounding of the three headphones. It's better than the rest when you have it connected to more expensive equipment.

With my portable set up,I think the Momentum sounds best. at least with pop rock music.But if the headphone doesn't fit, the sound will not be it. I did not make that up, I read that somewhere on Amazon:)

Dec 10, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #297 of 931
I have been dOing A B comparisons with my Sennheiser HD 600, Sennheiser momentum, and HD 598

I use my FiO0 e12 portable amplifier

I also threw my HD 439 in the mix

What do you think of the hd598/momentum comprarison?

Right now i have the momentums and a pair of hd25's. I think they complement each other really well and i really love the sound of the momentums but unfortunately i have some fit issues  with them.... ;( I was thinking of getting the hd598/hd558 or a pair of akg k550 for home use as a replacement for my momentums (the 598's would be strictly for home use and more calm stuff like kings of leon, coldplay, ellie goulding and stuff like that) and i would keep the hd25's (or upgrade to a pair of amperiors) for outside use (and also mainly for edm and more agreesive types of music).

Am i making a good or bad choice if i do this?

Cheers... :)

Dec 10, 2013 at 3:30 PM Post #298 of 931
I think you are making a good choice. The hd598 are great for rock and vocals. They are no bass monsters for sure but the overall pleasure of listening to music with them is amazing. The soundstage is so defined, it's really a gem.

Schiit Asgard is a great pair, icon HDP from NuForce as well.

Cheers,
K

Dec 10, 2013 at 4:07 PM Post #299 of 931
I'm not reviewing, just making some personal observations.

Long story short, if the Momentum is uncomfortable, then try the Nado Hp 50s.

I think at its current price, the HD 558 is a better buy than the HD 598, is a richer, fuller sound to my ears, though a tad less refined than the HD 598.

1. Open Back headphone listening at home - I really like and prefer the Sennheiser HD 600. It is rich and resonant, yet not overly warm, as can be the case with the Momentum and HD 650.
For mobile listening, I like the Momentum.
For something to listen to while snowblowing outside, I like the Panasonic HPX7, they are only 30 bucks, and the infamous mod takes that nasty mid range hump away.

The HD 25 is on sale now, at least last I checked, and that would be a good durable dj phone, but if you think the Momentum is uncomfortable .......

Dec 10, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #300 of 931
  I'm not reviewing, just making some personal observations.

Long story short, if the Momentum is uncomfortable, then try the Nado Hp 50s.

I think at its current price, the HD 558 is a better buy than the HD 598, is a richer, fuller sound to my ears, though a tad less refined than the HD 598.

1. Open Back headphone listening at home - I really like and prefer the Sennheiser HD 600. It is rich and resonant, yet not overly warm, as can be the case with the Momentum and HD 650.
For mobile listening, I like the Momentum.
For something to listen to while snowblowing outside, I like the Panasonic HPX7, they are only 30 bucks, and the infamous mod takes that nasty mid range hump away.

The HD 25 is on sale now, at least last I checked, and that would be a good durable dj phone, but if you think the Momentum is uncomfortable .......

I'm not talking about you. I mean people who rate products 2 stars for not being the greatest thing since sliced bread. Perhaps I should have said people don't know how to 'rate' products.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back