Sennheiser Momentum Impressions (Negative)
May 12, 2013 at 4:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

aCuria

Head-Fier
I just demoed the Sennheiser Momentum and here are some thoughts.

Source: iPhone 5

Fit and finish
  1. The Momentum looks FANTASTIC in person, perhaps even better than in the photos, the leather pads and headband feel great, the can is light and stays on your head nicely.
  1. The locking mechanism that keeps the cable attached to the cans looks flimsy, there is what looks like a very small nub of plastic that keeps the entire thing locked in place. I fear that if the cable is yanked with some force, the nub would break off. I would much prefer there be no locking mechanism at all
  2. I noticed that the Momentum's leather pad traps heat very effectively, this may be an issue for some people

Sound
I auditioned these cans with great anticipation on the back of Jude and Tyll Hertsens's very positive reviews. The momentum has a very slightly wider soundstage than the HD25s but nowhere approaching that of the HD800, and is to my ears somewhat darker and much more laid back than the HD25s. The high's are very tame and are unlikely to cause fatigue the way some of Grado's offerings will, and they isolate very well, i found the isolation comparable to the HD25s.

Unfortunately while the Momentum is a competent offering, I found it very much more enjoyable using my HD25s. There is just something missing from the Momentum's presentation of each song that I find very hard to quantify.... While detail is certainly present, there seems to be something muddying the waters and this gets worse as you increase the volume. When I swapped out to the Amperior demo unit, it was immediately a breath of fresh air. This was quite unexpected and I got a second opinion from a DT1350 owner just in case (without saying what I thought first of course). The response was "It was quite disappointing." It was almost as if the demo unit was defective.

Overall I feel the Momentum is a downgrade from the HD25s and is not worth the asking price, especially since the Amperior retails for < $220 usd. In fact I don't even think I would pull the trigger at $150.

Looks like my quest to upgrade my HD25s will not be ending for some time yet.

May 12, 2013 at 5:49 PM Post #2 of 4
I have the Momentum's, one thing that I and a couple of others have found is that the stock cable with the iPhone remote can, in some cases cause issues. I swapped it to the other cable that comes with it, which doesn't have an in line mic and the difference was pretty stark, a great improvement. Not sure why this should be the case, but a couple of other folk have reported the same issue.

May 12, 2013 at 7:58 PM Post #3 of 4
Quote:
I have the Momentum's, one thing that I and a couple of others have found is that the stock cable with the iPhone remote can, in some cases cause issues. I swapped it to the other cable that comes with it, which doesn't have an in line mic and the difference was pretty stark, a great improvement. Not sure why this should be the case, but a couple of other folk have reported the same issue.

It's true, well I mean that has been my experience as well.  I have owned mine since November and at first used the the iphone cable exclusively, then decided to try the standard cable and was amazed at the increase in midrange clarity with reduced mid-bass bloat.  Several times I have tried the iphone cable again as my main source is the ipod touch and really enjoy the remote and thought there really can't be that much of a difference, but there is and I always go back to the straight cable.Configured as such I really enjoy them and find them very flexible with a wide variety of music.  I also find that the longer I listen to them the better they get with absolutely no listener fatigue.

May 13, 2013 at 4:01 AM Post #4 of 4

I did not get the opportunity to test out the iPhone cable, the cans had the other one attached. If it sounds worse with the iPhone cable that does not bode well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back