Sennheiser Momentum 3 Wireless - The Official Thread
May 27, 2020 at 4:22 PM Post #271 of 657
When I connect to my computer via bluetooth, I have the option to set it up with both audio and microphone. I tested it by myself in Discord (a video game themed chat program), and with windows devices and the microphone and audio all works when connected to bluetooth. The audio isn't great though. With the VOIP program I used which has "auto gain" and tries to adjust gain on the fly, it was a little choppy, and the sound of my voice wasn't super clear.

You can NOT use it's mic when plugged into the headset via the 2.5mm jack (it's not wired that way).

What I ACTUALLY use for videogames (VOIP chat while playing a team game) is I bought a wire called the V-Moda Boom Mic Pro. IMG_0674.jpg
It has a 3.5mm on both ends and a GOOD microphone that is in-line. I bought a very slim 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapter, and I plug this cable into my momentum 3 wireless.
IMG_0675.jpgIMG_0677.jpg

I needed to take an exacto knife and some flathead screwdrivers and trim the hole for the headset side connection larger (just trim the plastic) so it can fit the adaptor. But it works great. Clear microphone, clear sound, and I disconned and use bluetooth if I want. The mic on the V-moda boom mic is MUCH better than the one built in and is made for gamers who want to communicate over VOIP.

IMG_0676.jpgIMG_0678.jpg

Lex

Oh yeah. I also didn't sense a strong smell of any sort. If it did have a smell, it wasn't strong enough for me to remember and I CERTAINLY didn't notice it after a few days.

Last edited:
May 27, 2020 at 11:12 PM Post #272 of 657
FYI,

TL;DR - I'm very happy that this set of headphones has an equalizer setting that is saved to the headphones instead of saved through the phone (meaning I don't have to have the phone connected in order to benefit from an equalizer setting.)

IMG_9035.PNG

In an effort to lower the bass a little bit to produce a more (to my ears) neutral signature, I've been running tthis setting for a while. I think it does a good job of keeping a good balance, keeping bass present, but brings it more the background when it SHOULD be in the background (more a "supportive" role, than something that everything is built off of). To try to explain it in my wierd words, prior to this equalizer, the bass was featured when it was INTENDED to be featured, but then VERY present throughout songs. With this equalizer, it's still featured when it's SUPPOSED to be featured (for example, when music except for a bass line drops out, you still hear it in an awesome way), but after that moment when it turns into a bass drum playing four on the floor, the bass drum reverts back to just being a time keeper (still able to be heard clearly), but doesn't make itself seem 'more important' than the rest of the instruments.

What I did was move the little dot to the \right, basically as LITTLE as possible without it "snapping" back to center. Then I lowered it to make the curve from the midrange to treble more flat and horizontal.

So far, I'm liking it. And one big benefit to the M3 in my world is the ability to set the equalizer back to neutral if I FEEL like hooking it up to something and just having the bass be more present.

Overall, while each different type of headphone has it's pros and cons, the pros of the Momentum 3 are outweighing the cons so far. Maybe one day they'll make the "perfect" headphone for me, but I fear that if they were to do that, it wouldn't sell cause my use cases for headphones are not your norm, and if I were a business person, I'd manufacture equipment for the mass market, not for the outliers.

Lex

Jun 6, 2020 at 8:57 AM Post #273 of 657
Do you guys have a humming when charging + using ANC?

I wanted to replace my oldest pair (6 months old) because the headphone jack is broken.
I now received two new M3 and both have weird humming when charging via USB C + using ANC.
This basically means I cannot use the M3's on my laptop via USB C anymore.

Jun 6, 2020 at 9:41 AM Post #274 of 657
Do you guys have a humming when charging + using ANC?

I wanted to replace my oldest pair (6 months old) because the headphone jack is broken.
I now received two new M3 and both have weird humming when charging via USB C + using ANC.
This basically means I cannot use the M3's on my laptop via USB C anymore.
No humming for me. I often connect my phone to a bluetooth device (my computer or a TV transmitter), and plug it into the computer to charge while still listening over bluetooth, all with ANC and there is no humming or other indicator between plugged in or not.

I've had this issue with other headphones or audio devices. Before you go crazy, try a few different ways of plugging in. If you're plugged into a wall charger, try plugging directly into a computer USB. If there's still a hum, try a different port or a different cable. I think trying two cables and two or three ports might find that right combination of cable/port that is probably grounded/shielded/whatever.

I found out that ONE of my computer ports (the one I used for most peripherals) had a hum with headphones. So I had to slightly rearrange and plug something in there that wasn't used for audio and choose a new port for my audio. Turns out for me, it wasn't a cable, but an issue with one USB port that caused humming. The port still works for transmitting data, but I now know not to plug headphones or another audio device into it.

Lex

Jun 6, 2020 at 10:17 AM Post #275 of 657
No humming for me. I often connect my phone to a bluetooth device (my computer or a TV transmitter), and plug it into the computer to charge while still listening over bluetooth, all with ANC and there is no humming or other indicator between plugged in or not.

I've had this issue with other headphones or audio devices. Before you go crazy, try a few different ways of plugging in. If you're plugged into a wall charger, try plugging directly into a computer USB. If there's still a hum, try a different port or a different cable. I think trying two cables and two or three ports might find that right combination of cable/port that is probably grounded/shielded/whatever.

I found out that ONE of my computer ports (the one I used for most peripherals) had a hum with headphones. So I had to slightly rearrange and plug something in there that wasn't used for audio and choose a new port for my audio. Turns out for me, it wasn't a cable, but an issue with one USB port that caused humming. The port still works for transmitting data, but I now know not to plug headphones or another audio device into it.

Lex

Thanks but I really tried everything now.

Different chargers
Different laptop ports
Both with USB C or USB A 3.0/3.1
Different cables...

Out of me my M3 only my older pair has no humming (except with one wall charger).
It seems to be a serious grounding problem with those newer M3's.
Simply moving an active (=plugged in) power cord next to the USB C cable can stop the humming or even increase it. And with moving I seriously mean moving. The cables aren't even touching each other.

Jun 10, 2020 at 5:45 AM Post #276 of 657
When I connect to my computer via bluetooth, I have the option to set it up with both audio and microphone. I tested it by myself in Discord (a video game themed chat program), and with windows devices and the microphone and audio all works when connected to bluetooth. The audio isn't great though. With the VOIP program I used which has "auto gain" and tries to adjust gain on the fly, it was a little choppy, and the sound of my voice wasn't super clear.

You can NOT use it's mic when plugged into the headset via the 2.5mm jack (it's not wired that way).

What I ACTUALLY use for videogames (VOIP chat while playing a team game) is I bought a wire called the V-Moda Boom Mic Pro. IMG_0674.jpg
It has a 3.5mm on both ends and a GOOD microphone that is in-line. I bought a very slim 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapter, and I plug this cable into my momentum 3 wireless.
IMG_0675.jpgIMG_0677.jpg

I needed to take an exacto knife and some flathead screwdrivers and trim the hole for the headset side connection larger (just trim the plastic) so it can fit the adaptor. But it works great. Clear microphone, clear sound, and I disconned and use bluetooth if I want. The mic on the V-moda boom mic is MUCH better than the one built in and is made for gamers who want to communicate over VOIP.

IMG_0676.jpgIMG_0678.jpg

Lex

Oh yeah. I also didn't sense a strong smell of any sort. If it did have a smell, it wasn't strong enough for me to remember and I CERTAINLY didn't notice it after a few days.

Thanks but on my laptop I can't even get audio via the AUX cable. Different headphones via AUX work on my laptop, and the Sennheiser with AUX works on my phone.
Any ideas? It doesn't even get detected by windows 10.

Jun 28, 2020 at 7:34 PM Post #278 of 657
Hey guys,

I've really enjoyed reading this thread and bought the M3 sandy white version a couple of weeks back. I connect mostly to my Note10+ via BT.

First the three things I didn't like. First the case it comes with is awful, as many have noted. Since I didn't care about this its no big deal and I've bought a cheap hardcase from Amazon that does a great job. Second I've found the autopause feature too sensitive despite the most recent firmware, so I've disabled it, and again don't really care. Thirdly I learnt the M3s don't come with aptxHD codec. This i think I do care about but am not sure because I can't test it yet (I'm thinking of buying a HD dongle of some kind as I don't have a dacamp yet).

Having said all that I've loved the SQ of the M3s. The base is really deep and roomy and most tracks play beautifully. Volume on BT is super loud and I only ever need around 60-70%. NC is excellent. It cancels most external sounds and the pass through feature is very useful. Comfort and ease of use are also great.

Things I don't know - if they can use a balanced 2.5mm connection? Will a aptxHD dacamp like the Dragonflys change Amazon HD output from my phone to the M3s from 24bit/44.1kHz to 24bit/192kHz or higher?

What I do know is the M3s provide me with awesome mobile SQ via Spotify with BT, but am very curious on how to maximise UltraHD with these Senns :beyersmile:

UPDATE: I bought the Samsung dongle (£10) and plugged it into my (old) PC via USB and into the M3s via the supplied 2.5mm cable. I managed to get 24bit/192kHz on Mr Blue-sky via AmazonHD desktop app. I'm not sure I could tell any difference in SQ, but what was interesting is that the dongle made a big improvement in volume on the M3s when powered off.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2020 at 9:28 AM Post #279 of 657
I selling my Shure sa50 one week ago for two reasons but specially one: the artificial leather of the sa50 is making my ears hot and sweating very quickly. This isn't a problem in the past because the weather isn't so hot. But with little temperature going up the ear pads aren't good at all.

The other reason is for my travel, because the sa50 isn't possible folding, this isn't practical for the travels.

Is difficult decision for me selling the sa50 because I love the sound very much, I think in the sound sa50 is the best of all the (anc) wireless headphones I trying in the past.

I deciding buying again the sennheiser momentum 3 because is having real leather and is possible folding this headphone and the sound is very, very good. The big very good surprise for me is that now the eq in the app isn't like before (terrible!) but now in the update of the firmware is having eq with 3 bands (bass, mids, treble). Isn't perfect (5 bands is minimum good for me) but is sufficient good for me. I can putting less bass and this setting is saving in the headphone so I can using in different devices. (Saving in the headphone isn't possible with sa50, the changes is only possible only if you using the shure app. This is bad design, in my opinion)

The construction of the momentum 3 is more solid than sa50 too and I having more confidence when I'm using it, specially the quality of the ear pads and the headband.

Edit: I forgetting other problem I having with sa50 is the volume, but this is probably for a person like me. Because I playing playlists very much, some tracks from different albums is very more loud than others (because of difference in master and recording not because the track is quiet or loud) and when I need changing the volume quickly a lot (5 or 6 steps) the sa50 is very slow responding going up or down quickly. This isn't a problem with momentum 3 or other headphones I trying in the past. This is frustrating for me in many times.

Last edited:
Aug 3, 2020 at 10:36 AM Post #280 of 657
One aspect sennheiser MUST CHANGING with next firmware update is the volume steps (for iPhone). When I changing the volume is jumping 2 or 3 steps (up or down). This is really terrible because some music is recorded very bad and loud ("loudness wars") and when changing the volume the difference is very drastic and is necessary going in opposite direction for correcting this problem.

The volume steps MUST be like Bose or bowers & wilkings headphones that not only isn't this BIG jumping volume problem but you having many more volume steps for really exact volume that you wanting. This, and I repeating this, is many more important with the recordings and masters after 1990 when everything is very loud.

The momentum 3 is doing many things correctly and the people paying a lot of money for high-end headphone deserving the best. Why not fixing this terrible problem soon? PLAESE.

Aug 5, 2020 at 4:35 AM Post #283 of 657
Hm, that is a bit true for Android too, the volume steps go from pretty quiet to pretty loud, not a lot of inbetween (?)

I usually leave the headphones at max, and use the smartphone to control the volume, it doesn't act the same on Apple?

This is not possible with iPhone. But even if is possible (and I insisting that isn't), I don't want changing the volume in the device but with the buttons in the headphone. My iPhone is in my pocket often or is far from headphone. I use buttons in the headphone constantly for changing the volume and the tracks.

Aug 8, 2020 at 6:16 AM Post #285 of 657
Do those still only turn on/off with expanding them?

Yes, BUT for turning off now you having 2 options:
1) Folding the headphone
2) Unfolding headphone and immediately pressing play/pause button for minimum 2 seconds. This is when you wanting headphone off and keeping headphone in unfolding position.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back