Sennheiser Momentum 3 Wireless - The Official Thread
Sep 12, 2019 at 9:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 657

Maukey

500+ Head-Fier
From the manufacturer
55ce3a57-6d08-4abb-a19b-c600901834ee.__CR0,0,970,300_PT0_SX970_V1___.jpg

3da4de4d-280f-4c64-9252-7a370520565f.__CR0,0,300,300_PT0_SX300_V1___.jpg

Never lose your rhythm again.
The New MOMENTUM Wireless delivers a superior listening experience like no other. Reproducing the balanced depth and precision of a studio recording, these headphones separate each frequency, so you hear the bass, mid-range and treble together in perfect harmony. Which means you’ll feel everything from the heart-thumping bass of your daily commute to the soothing rhythm of your favorite memories.

2a4c956d-5fce-4a5f-8873-08cdf8bb6c15.__CR0,0,300,300_PT0_SX300_V1___.jpg

Never miss a beat.
The MOMENTUM Wireless has intuitive controls designed for any situation. Whether you’re taking a business call, talking to a friend or just hiding in your own personal audio space, the Auto On/Off and Smart Pause features ensure that you’ll never miss a beat.

05f32c1c-177d-42fa-af69-0f6dbd3115e3.__CR0,0,300,300_PT0_SX300_V1___.jpg

Your sound, on your terms.
Active Noise Cancellation and Transparent Hearing functionality allow you to experience your audio world on your terms. The advanced Active Noise Cancellation offers three modes that are tailored to different environments. And with the Transparent Hearing feature, you can enjoy music while still being fully present in different settings.

34a2a16e-596d-4765-8f81-1306a8ffe516.__CR0,0,300,300_PT0_SX300_V1___.jpg

258c60f8-51ca-4705-9900-838685130837.__CR0,0,300,300_PT0_SX300_V1___.jpg

47d87c87-21aa-4802-bda4-2a643f428866.__CR0,0,300,300_PT0_SX300_V1___.jpg

In tune with your lifestyle.
The MOMENTUM Wireless offers seamless integration with your phone’s voice assistant. At the touch of a button you can easily tap into the virtual world or real world whenever life happens. With the superior sound of the MOMENTUM Wireless, you’ll never lose your rhythm again.

Get lost in the music.
Featuring a genuine leather head strap and premium earcups, these headphones deliver superior comfort for those who like to enjoy endless listening. The sturdy matte steel arms and durable covers stand the test of time, making them the perfect companion for the stylish listener who’s always on the move.

Personalization in the palm of your hand.
The Sennheiser Smart Control app provides three different noise cancellation modes and a built-in equalizer. With a simple and intuitive 3-button interface you can switch between your music and making calls in an instant, so whatever situation you find yourself in, the MOMENTUM Wireless has all the functions you need to enjoy rich, detailed sound.

Sep 12, 2019 at 9:21 PM Post #2 of 657
I didn't see a thread started on these yet so I figured I'd start one. If there is one, moderators don't hesitate to remove this one.

I received my Momentum 3s today. I've spent a good portion of the day comparing them to my Sony 1000XM3 and Bose NC700. Early impressions are quite favorable for the Momentums. The ANC is really close to the other two. It may be identical, I just need to test them in more scenarios. Very spacious ear cups with a little more clamping force than the 1000XM3s. Fits very comfortably for me as I have a pretty narrow head/face. I actually rank the comfort slightly above the NC700s and a smidge below the 1000XM3s, although I can wear all three of these for an entire day with little to no fatigue. Sound Quality to my ears is on a higher level than the other two. It's like they took the 1000XM3s, pulled about 2 or 3 levels of veil off, boosted the sub bass slightly, and brought the vocals forward. It just sounds cleaner, more detailed, and the soundstage is MUCH bigger. I always said that the 1000XM3 and NC700 were on the same level as far as sound quality goes with the advantage going to the 1000XM3 due to the app/equalizer. The 1000XM3 is for those who like more energy in their sound. The NC700 is for those who like a more flat signature with a little more spaciousness. The Momentum 3s raises the bar in all of these areas. It's energetic, fun, smooth, detailed, and spacious. And it has buttons so cold weather issues shouldn't be a problem.

More to come!

Sep 14, 2019 at 12:13 AM Post #4 of 657
I ordered mine today from Amazon, should have em in a few days. My issue w/ all of the other NC headphones mentioned is the performance while wired. I like to play PC games and I don't need to have multiple pairs of headphones. I want one DO-IT-ALL headphone. The Xm3 and 700s are garbage wired and really should only be used in an emergency. Audio Techncia really is the only company that places an emphasis on their wired performance requiring the wire for Hi-Res certification. So I've been using the WS990BT of late but I just don't particularly like their sound signature.

I travel a little bit, so having NC is a nice feature to have, but definitely not my #1 requirement. I had been using my MDR-1AM2 for the past few flights without issue, so any NC added will be beneficial, so it doesn't need to be on par w/ the two market leaders.

So, we'll see how the Momentum 3's fare this weekend. Can't wait.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2019 at 12:20 AM Post #5 of 657
I ordered mine today from Amazon, should have em in a few days. My issue w/ all of the other NC headphones mentioned is the performance while wired. I like to play PC games and I don't need to have multiple pairs of headphones. I want one DO-IT-ALL headphone. The Xm3 and 700s are garbage wired and really should only be used in an emergency. Audio Techncia really is the only company that places an emphasis on their wired performance requiring the wire for Hi-Res certification. So I've been using the WS990BT of late but I just don't particularly like their sound signature.

I'm actually a gamer myself. Xbox One X and PS4 Pro. I haven't tried my Momentum 3s with gaming yet, but I can tell you that they sound amazing wired when listening to music from my MacBook Pro. My only issue with using them for gaming is that they have a 2.5mm connection to the headphone as oppose to a 3.5. I have V-Moda's Boom Pro Mic which is 3.5. I've been using the new V-Moda M100 Master. I do plan on trying the Momentum 3s for single player gaming though and will report back.

Sep 14, 2019 at 12:27 AM Post #6 of 657
I'm actually a gamer myself. Xbox One X and PS4 Pro. I haven't tried my Momentum 3s with gaming yet, but I can tell you that they sound amazing wired when listening to music from my MacBook Pro. My only issue with using them for gaming is that they have a 2.5mm connection to the headphone as oppose to a 3.5. I have V-Moda's Boom Pro Mic which is 3.5. I've been using the new V-Moda M100 Master. I do plan on trying the Momentum 3s for single player gaming though and will report back.

Good to know. I don't do multiplayer gaming, so not really worried about the mic. I have a pair of Masters as well, but I just can't wear them for very long...the ear pads just hurt my slightly larger than average ears.

I'll just run the Momentum 3s through my Dragonfly Cobalt on my PC and Macbook Pro...so it's good to hear that they still sound really good wired. Like I said, most of the other NC wireless options are terrible without the built in DAC driving the headphones.

Sep 14, 2019 at 12:33 AM Post #7 of 657
Good to know. I don't do multiplayer gaming, so not really worried about the mic. I have a pair of Masters as well, but I just can't wear them for very long...the ear pads just hurt my slightly larger than average ears.

I'll just run the Momentum 3s through my Dragonfly Cobalt on my PC and Macbook Pro...so it's good to hear that they still sound really good wired. Like I said, most of the other NC wireless options are terrible without the built in DAC driving the headphones.
I need to do some more demoing, but the difference in wired vs. wireless is slight. It's somewhat tamer wired. Meaning the highs and bass are shaved down a little. Still sounds good to my ears though. Not the drop off you get with the Sony 1000XM3.

Sep 14, 2019 at 4:48 AM Post #8 of 657

I travel a little bit, so having NC is a nice feature to have, but definitely not my #1 requirement. I had been using my MDR-1AM2 for the past few flights without issue, so any NC added will be beneficial, so it doesn't need to be on par w/ the two market leaders.

Does your pc not have bluetooth?

Sep 14, 2019 at 2:01 PM Post #10 of 657
I need to do some more demoing, but the difference in wired vs. wireless is slight. It's somewhat tamer wired. Meaning the highs and bass are shaved down a little. Still sounds good to my ears though. Not the drop off you get with the Sony 1000XM3.
How's the bass & overall clarity with no EQ (default setting)? How does it compare to the M2 out of the box?

Sep 14, 2019 at 2:24 PM Post #11 of 657
How's the bass & overall clarity with no EQ (default setting)? How does it compare to the M2 out of the box?
In my opinion, the bass and highs were boosted ever so slightly. The mids are still forward with vocals front and center. I think it's slightly more detailed and energetic than the M2. It's slightly clearer than the M2s overall. Keep in mind, I no longer own the M2s so I'm going off of memory.

Sep 15, 2019 at 1:22 PM Post #12 of 657
In my opinion, the bass and highs were boosted ever so slightly. The mids are still forward with vocals front and center. I think it's slightly more detailed and energetic than the M2. It's slightly clearer than the M2s overall. Keep in mind, I no longer own the M2s so I'm going off of memory.
What about comfort vs. M2? Are the cups/pads large enough to provide a significant boost in comfort?
Can you please measure the inner size of the pads?
How's the sound stage vs. M2?

Sep 15, 2019 at 6:07 PM Post #13 of 657
What about comfort vs. M2? Are the cups/pads large enough to provide a significant boost in comfort?
Can you please measure the inner size of the pads?
How's the sound stage vs. M2?
I'm not with my M3s at the moment to measure, but the ear cups are noticeably larger than the M2s. I don't have big ears, but my ears easily fits inside the ear cups. I feel they're more comfortable than what I remember of the M2s. The cups are more plush and have a bigger opening. The clamping force is slightly greater with the M2s and they feel a bit heavier. It's not a problem for me though. The sound stage is good. Probably more on par with what I remember of the M2.

Sep 15, 2019 at 6:09 PM Post #14 of 657
My M3s arrived this afternoon and all I can say is wow. Incredible sound quality via bluetooth. Arguably the best I've ever heard in a headphone.

Now, as I stated previously, my use case is a little different than most as I want to have one headphone to cover all of my use cases. It's really a pain in the butt to turn these things on and off...the opening and closing is fine and dandy, but it should be possible to disable that if you want. I store my headphone on a headphone stand, so when I take it off, I want to just be able to switch it off and put it on the stand. In this case, I have to take it off, close it to turn the headphone off, then hold the multi function button for 4 seconds while opening them back up to have the headphone open and OFF. Stupid. No way to disable that "feature" that I can tell reading through the manual. You can get rid of the "off ear pause" feature, so why not just include a dumb power button? I can't imagine that MOST people when they take their headphone off will fold it up and put it in the case. I guess a lot would, but ALL? There should be a way besides what I outlined above.

As for performance...there's a noticeable difference between NC on max and NC on wind and pressure settings. There is much more bass and depth with the headphone on MAX NC - so it seems like that is where most would use it. Just weird that the sound frequency is so different on the different settings. As expected, WIRED with the headphone off is less powerful/dynamic, but that seems to be the standard for wireless headphones these days outside of B&O and Audio Technica. It's not nearly as big of a drop off as the XM3s and 700ns so it's definitely usable.

They fit great, super comfortable, great materials and they look pretty good. A little bulkier than the competition but the sound is so good, it's acceptable.

The case that comes with them is atrocious. Sennheiser should be ashamed at this price point to include that cardboard junk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back