Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 and Wireless!
Nov 18, 2015 at 9:58 AM Post #2,446 of 3,671
P.S. For those Sennheiser representatives monitoring the issue, here’s some feedback about the RMA process: After I shipped the defective unit, within a whole month I never got any interactions or acknowledgements that you received the shipment and I also was not notified that a new unit had been shipped to me. Even though I’m sure you resolved the issue within the shortest amount of time possible, I was totally in the dark - that didn’t feel to me like proper care from customer service to reassure me that you were taking care of such an expensive problem.

In Sennheiser's defense, whenever I followed up with them I got a response nearly immediately. Indeed I was the one that had to do the initiating, but the responses were often within a few hours.

Maybe it's a shame and all, but I think in this day and age, customers need to be proactive and aggressive with their customer service followups. I know we "shouldn't have to", but that's the way to get results.

Nov 18, 2015 at 12:22 PM Post #2,447 of 3,671
Hi all,

I finally got mine last week, I'm quite satisfied with them.

I think that they sound great, definitely better quality than my old (and stolen) MM-550X. And definitely louder and bassier (especially when on ANC, which made the MM-550X loose a lot of bass).
One thing I did on my phone is removing the "Rock" equalizer and set it back to flat. 

If you switch them on and play no music in a very quiet room, I think that the ANC hiss is noticeable and a little annoying but it's not much worse that other ANC cans so, well..

Bluetooth connection works flawlessly with my nexus 4 and linux thinkpad at home and office with SBC (I haven't tried APT-X for now, my devices don't support it).
I got some stuttering when outside with the nexus 4 in my left pocket and a bag on my shoulder. It really depended on the position of the phone and bag (and I was in a crowded train station).
It only happened that time, I guess that it was kind of an extreme situation.

I also tried the DAC functionality and it works fine with Linux.
The only catch is that you need to first plug the USB cable and then power the cans back on to make them be recognized as an usb audio device.
Powering the cans on will also re-enable bluetooth. 

Actually.. Is there a way to have ANC on and bluetooth off when not having a jack inserted?
I guess that ANC on and bluetooth off should work with a jack in (that's what people would want on an airplane), but I'm not sure how one could have ANC on and bluetooth off (which would enable using the DAC feature on a flight that doesn't allow bluetooth).

P.S.
For people in Europe..
I got mine from amazon.de for EUR 316,19, keep an eye on it!

Nov 18, 2015 at 12:41 PM Post #2,448 of 3,671
  <snip>

Actually.. Is there a way to have ANC on and bluetooth off when not having a jack inserted?

I guess that ANC on and bluetooth off should work with a jack in (that's what people would want on an airplane), but I'm not sure how one could have ANC on and bluetooth off (which would enable using the DAC feature on a flight that doesn't allow bluetooth).

It doesn't appear so; it the headphones are powered on then the only way to disable Bluetooth is to plug in the audio cable.

And as far as I can tell, ANC is on if the headphones are on, regardless of how the headphones are connected.

Nov 18, 2015 at 1:11 PM Post #2,449 of 3,671

Have you tried sticking a dummy cable in or even the normal cable but not connecting the other end to a device. On my Symphony 1 which also has a USB dac if I turn on the headphones with a usb and audio cable plugged in but only the USB cable connected to my laptop the audio comes via USB and bluetooth doesn't get turned on. If that fails you could try turning it on with the audio cable plugged in then unplug that (I'm assuming bluetooth doesn't get activated automatically) and then connect that USB cable. That also works on my Symphony 1 but I use Windows. Not entirely sure if these methods would work with the Momentum Wireless on Linux.

Nov 18, 2015 at 2:22 PM Post #2,450 of 3,671
  In Sennheiser's defense, whenever I followed up with them I got a response nearly immediately. Indeed I was the one that had to do the initiating, but the responses were often within a few hours.

Maybe it's a shame and all, but I think in this day and age, customers need to be proactive and aggressive with their customer service followups. I know we "shouldn't have to", but that's the way to get results.

Speak for yourself - I value proper customer care and that will contribute to the choice of companies I do business with or whether I choose to continue to do so.

Nov 18, 2015 at 2:25 PM Post #2,451 of 3,671

Speak for yourself - I value proper customer care and that will contribute to the choice of companies I do business with or whether I choose to continue to do so.

Who else was I speaking for? Care to highlight where I wrote "you"? My point was yes, I was kept in the dark, but when I followed up I got quick answers.

Too bad you didn't follow my idea. If you only knew. They took care of me. I'll say no more about that, other than a few of the thread posters who took the initiative may know what I'm talking about.

Nov 18, 2015 at 2:45 PM Post #2,452 of 3,671
  customers need to be proactive and aggressive with their customer service followups. I know we "shouldn't have to"

No need to get the feathers ruffled, but since you were wondering how it felt on whose behalf you were speaking for, see above. Seems like a generalization that can include anyone, including me - if that was not the intention, no problem, and you're free to share your opinion anyway, just as I am free to disagree.

Again, service levels vary, customer expectations vary, and I guess I value the money I paid for the product in a different way from some people. You and others who took the initiative are free to do what you want, including going after customers service asking for satisfactions.

Nov 18, 2015 at 3:22 PM Post #2,453 of 3,671
Ah yes, I'm sure the omitting of "Maybe it's a shame and all, but I think in this day and age" was unintentional, in both your reading and your quoting.

It's a comment about modern customer service in general. Being proactive has its rewards.

Nov 18, 2015 at 3:24 PM Post #2,454 of 3,671
Finally got to testing mine for drop-outs and Bluetooth issues.

Indoors I'm getting a pretty reliable 30 feet, even with walls in the way, with no issues from an iPhone 6S, iPad Mini 4 or rMBP and rMB.  When I deliberately go out of range they reconnect automatically with no apparent issues.  I'm paired to five devices and connected to two.

Wandering around indoors or outdoors with my phone, then it doesn't matter which pocket it is in (pants, shirt, jacket, left, right, front, back ... ), or how it is oriented, I've had no dropouts at all over the space of a day and a half.

So they're as good, or better, than anything else I have that uses Bluetooth.

Nov 18, 2015 at 4:39 PM Post #2,455 of 3,671
Oddly, the very infrequent stuttering issues I do still encounter occur around heavy traffic, outside, on moderately windy days. Isolated wind and traffic don't seem to cause it. Even then, it's a momentary blip.

I've yet to recharge them. The battery life is 3-4x the competition.

Nov 18, 2015 at 6:24 PM Post #2,456 of 3,671
Haha, yeah I was hoping to pop in here to talk about their sound, I don't really mind about the Bluetooth business since mine isn't the Bluetooth version.  "I don't believe in Bluetooth" hehe :)

Regarding their sound quality, personally I enjoy these much more than the PM-3s myself.  They are engaging, have a more present bass response and have better imaging than the Oppos.  But, both headphones are awesome.

The one thing I HAVE to do to enjoy these babies is to boost at around 16kHz by around 3 - 4db.  This works particularly well in PowerAmp (Android) which has an awesome EQ with a rather narrow boost (unlike most other EQs which boost stuff way below 16 kHz when doing the same).

Once you add that little bit of missing air, these headphones just become absolutely amazing.

No desrespect to the Oppo fans, but I found them too analytical for casual listening.  They were not engaging to my ears, it wasn't instant gratification when you put them on your ears (from a sound point of view).  I will admit that I think the comfort on the PM-3s is better than the Momentums though, even after Sennheiser made the changes they did.  I find myself re-adjusting them every hour or so, but the leather smells and feels AWESOME!! :)

It seems that for high quality portable headphones, it comes down to 3 main choices:

V-Moda Crossfade M-100
Oppo PM-3
Sennheiser Momentum 2.0s

I have also tried the Crossfades and (once again no offence), I really REALLY didn't like both their fit and sound.  They are built really well though and I know a friend that absolutely loves his.  The sound on the Crossfades is so distant, it's like vocalists are 10 feet away, while with the Momentums (and the Oppos) they are right up in your grill :)

Nov 18, 2015 at 7:18 PM Post #2,457 of 3,671
Lol. This thread isn't exactly a great advertisement for the company or the headphone. In any event, I took a listen to both the wired and wireless Momentum 2 and, just like the M1, they are HUGELY overrated. I went with the Oppo pm3, which are worth about double the price. IMO natch.

I expect I'll pick up the PM-3 at some point; however, no matter how much of a wonderful sounding bargain it might be, it's simply a non-starter for wireless use or if you want noise cancellation.

I can't name a better sounding wireless noise-cancelling headphone than the Momentum 2.0.

Nov 18, 2015 at 10:13 PM Post #2,458 of 3,671
I expect I'll pick up the PM-3 at some point; however, no matter how much of a wonderful sounding bargain it might be, it's simply a non-starter for wireless use or if you want noise cancellation.

I can't name a better sounding wireless noise-cancelling headphone than the Momentum 2.0.

I personally prefer the sound signature of the Sony 1abt, although they're not noise cancelling.

Nov 19, 2015 at 1:09 AM Post #2,459 of 3,671
I've been monitoring this thread for a while. I was really interested in the M2s (before trying them) , but all this has done is put me off Sennheiser altogether.

Tbh this isn't the first time Sennheiser haven't handled wireless dropout complaints very well (RS 220). You have to give props to them for at least (indirectly) admitting there was a problem and trying to fix the issue this time round, though for a company of Sennheiser's size the whole situation certainly doesn't look very professional. Despite what has happened with the M2's from past experience if you do buy anything from Sennheiser (even the M2 now) you should still get decent customer service wherever you are in the world if something else other than the BT/wireless issues goes wrong.

Nov 19, 2015 at 10:05 PM Post #2,460 of 3,671
do the issues mentioned in this thread only pertain to the wireless model?

i have the wired, over-ear model paired with a nw-zx2 and it sounds pretty fantastic, imo. that said, i would like to try the oppo pm-3.

one thing i wonder about is whether or not those who use the wireless models so so to listen to lossless music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back