Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 and Wireless!
Apr 3, 2015 at 8:54 AM Post #1,231 of 3,671
  Returning them today. Can't get into the sound. Bass seems boomy and one dimensional and the treble seems veiled. Sound better at lower volumes. Not for me though.

Just got the wired over-the-ears iPhone version today, this is my experience too, really not impressed.

I'm going to leave them running for 48hrs or so and see if that helps any, they are either getting sent back or will make me a firm believer in burn-in.

The worst part is, other than the sound these seem like the perfect portable to me.

edit: if you have these headphones, listen to a song where someone is clapping, it makes it sound like their hands are the size of bin lids! 
eek.gif

Apr 3, 2015 at 9:06 AM Post #1,233 of 3,671

They are the same size. According to the Sennheiser specs the wireless version has a greater clamping force and has a higher impedence in passive mode. I imagine it would be heavier too since it is packing a bluetooth chip and ANC circuitry. Don't you how they compare sound wise in passive mode though.

The differences in clamp, weight and impedance are so small you won't even notice it. For an average joe like me i couldnt tell any difference in sound between the wired and wireless version when run in passive mode. In active mode the differences are more apparent as the wired version naturally loses some its detail in noisy environments.

first, thank you both for answering. Mind you, I'm not an audiophile and just enjoy good sound so far with my K701/XBA-A1 and Westone 2 so please correct me and explain if I state something wrong.

A few more gramm won't matter, I'm just thinking about loss of sound quality because of NC technology/wireless use. Always thought that noice canceling technology influences the sound quality negative as well as bluetooth.  But it seems that is not a problem with those headphones/at all. 

Know I really have to think about which model to buy >.<

Apr 3, 2015 at 9:10 AM Post #1,234 of 3,671
On my wireless versions I find the sound when wired and with ANC off relatively poor. Definitely a bit boomy and veiled. I have no idea if that's how the wired version sounds, but I would find it strange. The wireless version really does sound much better when switched on, it comes alive and feels more balanced and detailed. It's all a bit puzzling.

I was expecting to be able to use them passively with an amp to get better sound, and 'make do' with wireless when on the move, but it's turned out the opposite.

Anyway I do like them, and will keep them. They look and feel amazing, and it's so convenient having wireless sound, but I have to say I'm not massively blown away by the sound overall.

Apr 3, 2015 at 9:38 AM Post #1,235 of 3,671
On my wireless versions I find the sound when wired and with ANC off relatively poor. Definitely a bit boomy and veiled. I have no idea if that's how the wired version sounds, but I would find it strange. The wireless version really does sound much better when switched on, it comes alive and feels more balanced and detailed. It's all a bit puzzling.

I was expecting to be able to use them passively with an amp to get better sound, and 'make do' with wireless when on the move, but it's turned out the opposite.

Anyway I do like them, and will keep them. They look and feel amazing, and it's so convenient having wireless sound, but I have to say I'm not massively blown away by the sound overall.

Youre the first person I've seen to say this. So you're saying that the sound is much better if they're switched on, regardless of whether they're connected with the wire or not? I plan to sell my momentum 1st gen and use these with my x5+e12 when I don't need the ANC.

Apr 3, 2015 at 9:50 AM Post #1,236 of 3,671

first, thank you both for answering. Mind you, I'm not an audiophile and just enjoy good sound so far with my K701/XBA-A1 and Westone 2 so please correct me and explain if I state something wrong.

A few more gramm won't matter, I'm just thinking about loss of sound quality because of NC technology/wireless use. Always thought that noice canceling technology influences the sound quality negative as well as bluetooth.  But it seems that is not a problem with those headphones/at all. 

Well yes ANC and bluetooth will influence sound quality to some degree but i think sennheiser has a done a pretty good job to keep them sounding quite good in all modes. It all depends where you plan to use them, if its for home use and quieter environments then just get the wired version.

Apr 3, 2015 at 10:04 AM Post #1,237 of 3,671
  I have tried connecting my class 2 headphones to a a class 1 adapter quite a few times to see if it made any difference. I didn't find any improvement in range at all (indoors through walls only. never tried outdoors). All class 2 headphones I tried still started dropping out at the same locations as with the class 2 adapters. The only thing that seemed to improve range was listening to poorer quality audio such as low bitrate mp3 and podcasts, though that kinda defeats the purpose of buying high quality bluetooth headphones.

Ok, thanks for the info.
I had the impression that the wonderful range of the Plantronics Backbeat Pro could be influenced by them being Class 1.
But considering the incredible differences in range among Class 2 headphones, it may just be, well, another normal difference.

Apr 3, 2015 at 10:05 AM Post #1,238 of 3,671
Youre the first person I've seen to say this. So you're saying that the sound is much better if they're switched on, regardless of whether they're connected with the wire or not? I plan to sell my momentum 1st gen and use these with my x5+e12 when I don't need the ANC

I tested them using the oppo ha-2 and i thought they sounded quite good amped in passive mode, i think i preferred them more this way. If i had to be critical, when powered up the bass seemed a bit restrained for my tastes and the top end a bit more emphasized but a bit unnatural sounding to my ears. Bluetooth mode seemed quite similar to active wired mode to me.

Apr 3, 2015 at 10:13 AM Post #1,239 of 3,671
Youre the first person I've seen to say this. So you're saying that the sound is much better if they're switched on, regardless of whether they're connected with the wire or not? I plan to sell my momentum 1st gen and use these with my x5+e12 when I don't need the ANC.

Yep pretty much. I haven't plugged them into my desktop rigs but I don't imagine that would make much difference with these.

Apr 3, 2015 at 10:22 AM Post #1,240 of 3,671

Well it seems like most people with the wireless version preferred the sound wireless. If the complaints coming through about the wired sound were also found in the wired version Sennheiser might have a hard time selling them. I guess the best advice would be the obvious, see if you can try out both and check for yourself if you notice any difference in wired sound quality between them. There only seem to be a few people who have tried both models in this thread.

NC and bluetooth technology technically should make sound worse but often when they include those they adjust the sound so that it actually sounds better with them on. Basically some headphones focus so much on wireless/nc sound quality such as including a really good inbuilt dac for bluetooth that they don't sound as good wired since they weren't tuned to the same degree. The Parrot Zik is the biggest example of this and from comments in the last few pages of this thread the Momentum seems to be in the same boat (though not nearly to the extent of the Zik).

Apr 3, 2015 at 11:11 AM Post #1,241 of 3,671
Ok, thanks for the info.

I had the impression that the wonderful range of the Plantronics Backbeat Pro could be influenced by them being Class 1.
But considering the incredible differences in range among Class 2 headphones, it may just be, well, another normal difference.

I agree about the backbeats...great sound, but too damn big, and heavy.

Apr 3, 2015 at 11:32 AM Post #1,242 of 3,671
I agree about the backbeats...great sound, but too damn big, and heavy.

hmmm. Heavy as a general thing, you mean? For transport?
I do not feel them heavy on my head...
But these things are subjective.

Apr 3, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #1,244 of 3,671

I can say (to my ears) that listening to them through my X5 wired, in passive mode, sounds very good. I have the M1s also, and used to listen to them through my iPod touch, and can tell you I thought they sounded just like the people describing wired mode passive for the M2 (not as good). I later listened to them both with my X5 (with and without E17 amp), and find them to be much brighter, and bass was more under control. I DO find the M2s to be less forgiving of lesser quality music than the M1s, but the soundstage is bigger, and detail is better. Very similar otherwise.

I find that listening to the M2 (both wireless and wired) on the same device (the Note 3), the wireless sounds better, but when I listen wireless on the Note 3 and wired on the X5 (passive), the wired mode sounds better..... I suppose it would depend on the DAP. I also think they sound bad in both modes using the iPod touch (compared with my other DAPs). Hope that helps without going into TOO many details.. )

Apr 3, 2015 at 2:50 PM Post #1,245 of 3,671

I can say (to my ears) that listening to them through my X5 wired, in passive mode, sounds very good. I have the M1s also, and used to listen to them through my iPod touch, and can tell you I thought they sounded just like the people describing wired mode passive for the M2 (not as good). I later listened to them both with my X5 (with and without E17 amp), and find them to be much brighter, and bass was more under control. I DO find the M2s to be less forgiving of lesser quality music than the M1s, but the soundstage is bigger, and detail is better. Very similar otherwise.

I find that listening to the M2 (both wireless and wired) on the same device (the Note 3), the wireless sounds better, but when I listen wireless on the Note 3 and wired on the X5 (passive), the wired mode sounds better..... I suppose it would depend on the DAP. I also think they sound bad in both modes using the iPod touch (compared with my other DAPs). Hope that helps without going into TOO many details.. )

Thanks for posting this. Seems like the M2 just need some good amping/source to sound good in wired mode, otherwise it needs to be turned on in order to compensate the quality through the internal dac. I should be receiving the M2 on Monday. Really looking forward to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back