Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 and Wireless!
Feb 25, 2015 at 11:49 PM Post #646 of 3,671
The head fi member was asking if there are bigger pads or cups than what the momentum 2 has. He owns the momentum wireless and wishes it were bigger.

That is what I thought too... That Shinoke wants know if there are plans to be able to buy replacement pads that are bigger than they currently are for the M2 wireless from Sennheiser....

Feb 26, 2015 at 1:48 AM Post #647 of 3,671

Sir...sonically the iPhone version and Android version are the same I would assume. Is there any difference other than what controls what device?

Sonically, both versions produce similar outputs. The main difference between the two is the cable.  

The head fi member was asking if there are bigger pads or cups than what the momentum 2 has. He owns the momentum wireless and wishes it were bigger.

Er.. my bad. Anyway, there are currently no plans to have even bigger sized cups/pads for the Momentum Wireless since we've just launched them. But if our product management decides otherwise, I'll be sure to provide an update here.

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Feb 26, 2015 at 4:50 AM Post #651 of 3,671
I'm fairly sure the type of audio file, whether it be FLAC, WAV, whatever the bitrate is, etc. has nothing to do with Bluetooth transmission and signal reliability. Any audio from your Bluetooth audio device (phone) is going to be transcoded with whatever codec (and bitrate) the two devices can mutually agree upon, whether it is aptX or SBC or whatever. Headphones are not being sent native audio data; if so they would need to be able to decode FLAC, MP3, or whatever dozens of audio codec standards. High resolution audio, low resolution audio, none of it matters.

Headphones that support aptX do so as a bonus; the aptX (per advertising) is supposed to offer a higher bitrate among other benefits. However, the headphones most certainly fall back to the (sufficiently competent, IMO) SBC codec when aptX support isn't mutually supported.

I don't have the Sennheiser Momentums, though I own several Bluetooth headphones, and it seems to me that connectivity problems tend to come from bad antenna implementations (on either device), bad Bluetooth software stacks, and also -- general RF interference. The 2.4 Ghz spectrum that Bluetooth occupies has a ton of other traffic, from Wifi, wireless telephones, microwave, and other things.

As a newbie on this site, I've been following this thread with great interest.
Thanks to all your feedback so far, I made my purchase for the wireless momentums in the UK from John Lewis @ £379. :cry:

My initial observations after my first commute (using iPhone 6 in my left jacket pocket) into Central London using the bus and underground tube are:

- ANC worked really well on the bus, but no more so than my Sony in ear H1's. But then again there's more isolation using in-ears, right.
On the underground tube, noise was successfully drowned out but I'll see how I get on going home.

- Bluetooth
Right this is where it gets interesting. I had no cut-outs or interference at street level using 4G.

However I started experiencing interruptions in Mile End station when changing trains, more specifically when station announcements were being made. I initially thought the iPhone was blocked in my pocket and when I altered the position the interference stopped. But then when the next announcement was made, I heard another crackle.
Back on the next train, passing through Liverpool St station, again same problem. Interference. Once I was in the tunnel again, no issues with interference.

- Sound quality.. You are all correct it is really good. I mean really good. However using an iPhone 6, sound could be brighter / louder because I had to raise the volume 1 bar above the usual mid-scale threshold to feel fully immersed in the music.

- Design.
Right I had some issues here. Quite annoying but might be down to my head size / position of headphones.
It's cold at this time of year which means I have to wear a jacket. The volume rocker on the headphones seems to get caught with my collar which means that the volume increases or decreases by itself. This happened around 5 times. But my collar isn't bigger than a normal collar should be.

I've not decided whether I can deal with this for £379. But I hate wires, so I expected a better Bluetooth implementation and positioning of the volume rocker.

Feb 26, 2015 at 5:23 AM Post #652 of 3,671

You may rest assured that both Momentum over-ear models (wired and wireless) have bigger ear cups and ear pads compared to the original model. 

I'm guessing the answer is no, but this is what was misinterpreted before when I asked the Sennheiser rep.

I'm asking, will the momentum wireless have bigger ear cups/ear pads available than what is currently fitted on the momentum wireless.

I obviously know the new momentum's have larger ear cups than the previous generation, that's not what I'm asking.

I'm asking if I will be able to purchase a spare part - larger ear cup/ear pads for the momentum wireless - that are larger than what are fitted to the model when you purchase it.

Edit: Ahh, thanks for the update. Oh well. Will have to return them.

Feb 26, 2015 at 6:28 AM Post #653 of 3,671
It's cold at this time of year which means I have to wear a jacket. The volume rocker on the headphones seems to get caught with my collar which means that the volume increases or decreases by itself. This happened around 5 times. But my collar isn't bigger than a normal collar should be.

I have to agree with you on this point. Same thing happens to me also. I like the volume rocker position, but not when you have a coat / jacket on with a scarf. 

Feb 26, 2015 at 7:48 AM Post #654 of 3,671
Few days back, a Sennheiser representative contacted me again concerning my questions and I would like to share these findings here as well.

- They have officially tested the compatibility of the M2's Wireless headphones with the remote control cables of the M2's Wired versions, these replacement cables should be available somewhere mid March for those who are still interested in the remote control when the Wireless headphones wired :).

- I have given Sennheiser my concern as well regarding the current Bluetooth bug using Yosemite 10.10.2. In their release notes, they state that they've improved audio and video sync when using Bluetooth headphones, but in return we get this static noise bug occurring randomly causing my heart to skip a beat from time to time while listening to music (the static noise is loud!). The only temporary solution seems to be to reconnecting the headphones all the together and just waiting for it to happen again :frowning2:. My iMac is still on 10.10.1 and this bug doesn't seem to occur. More people have the same issues with other Bluetooth headphones as well, see the thread at the Apple Community forum.

- ANC cannot be turned off separately, not even in future firmware updates due to technical reasons. He silently confirmed that it was due to the usage of one single chip for ANC and Bluetooth, resulting in the longer battery performance that comes with it.

- Still haven't heard any information regarding my authenticity issues I had with their website, not being able to verify the authenticity of my pair of headphones using the code on the box.

Furthermore, I am very pleased to see such a great customer service, they have contacted me twice already to update me with their latest findings. It takes them a little while via e-mail to respond, but they do stay in touch and contact you with your questions.

Feb 26, 2015 at 8:21 AM Post #655 of 3,671
[quote name="zee82" url="/t/749606/sennheiser-momentum-2-0-and-wireless/645#post_1135945

- Bluetooth
Right this is where it gets interesting. I had no cut-outs or interference at street level using 4G.

However I started experiencing interruptions in Mile End station when changing trains, more specifically when station announcements were being made. I initially thought the iPhone was blocked in my pocket and when I altered the position the interference stopped. But then when the next announcement was made, I heard another crackle.
Back on the next train, passing through Liverpool St station, again same problem. Interference. Once I was in the tunnel again, no issues with interference.
[/quote]

This is interesting. If the interference coincided with the announcement each time, it is possible that the interference was the loud sound saturating (to big for the circuit) the ANC microphone input, not the Bluetooth. If this happens it may cause a loud distortion.

Feb 26, 2015 at 8:39 AM Post #656 of 3,671
That theory should be easy to test by simply going wired with ANC still enabled and waiting for the next train announcement.

Feb 26, 2015 at 9:54 AM Post #658 of 3,671
[quote name="zee82" url="/t/749606/sennheiser-momentum-2-0-and-wireless/645#post_1135945

- Bluetooth

This is interesting. If the interference coincided with the announcement each time, it is possible that the interference was the loud sound saturating (to big for the circuit) the ANC microphone input, not the Bluetooth. If this happens it may cause a loud distortion.[/quote]
I think this was one of the causes of interference but I forgot to mention that once I got into work and got inside the lift, the sound cut out again for split second and had interference throughout til I got out of the lift. Strange and not too happy about that. I'll pay closer attention on the way home tonight.

Feb 26, 2015 at 1:20 PM Post #659 of 3,671
This is interesting. If the interference coincided with the announcement each time, it is possible that the interference was the loud sound saturating (to big for the circuit) the ANC microphone input, not the Bluetooth. If this happens it may cause a loud distortion.

I think this was one of the causes of interference but I forgot to mention that once I got into work and got inside the lift, the sound cut out again for split second and had interference throughout til I got out of the lift. Strange and not too happy about that. I'll pay closer attention on the way home tonight.[/quote]

Ok the verdict is they're going back! For £379 you would have thought the Bluetooth would be faultless. Judging by previous comments my issues are all indoors / underground but outside its fine.

Given I bought these for my commute this is not good enough. And to echo someone else's comments, every time the bus runs through a pot hole I get a thump in my ear.

And then the volume rocker. I can count at least 7 times the volume changing up and down every time I turn my head left or right causing friction with my jacket collar. Very distracting and for that reason I feel I should probably go for the wired version 2.0 @£269 subject to passive noise isolation being up to scratch.

Having said that, can anyone recommend great over-ears at that price range instead?

Feb 26, 2015 at 2:32 PM Post #660 of 3,671
That theory should be easy to test by simply going wired with ANC still enabled and waiting for the next train announcement.

I think the insertion on the cable effectively turns the M2's off, like airplane mode?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back