Sennheiser MM100
May 15, 2010 at 9:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Methos1979

Head-Fier
Anyone tried these out yet?  I loved my PX100's while they lasted and I also really live behind the neck, bluetooth phones.  NC I could give or take.  So if these phones have a sound even close to the PX100's, they just might be what I'm looking for, for work.  Anyone try them yet?  Oh, I already asked that, didn't I?  Sorry!

M.

May 19, 2010 at 8:10 AM Post #2 of 11
No one, huh?  Okay, I guess I'll be the first!  They are on their way here from our friends at HeadRoom.  Stay tuned...

May 27, 2010 at 10:06 PM Post #3 of 11
Well, the MM100's arrived finally.  Free shipping is great but I think they must strap it to a turtle and send it along!

Anyhow, the phones are just okay.  The first and biggest issue is there is NO noise-canceling whatsoever. I'm not really surprised by this because as I looked at them I was wondering just how some relatively small, behind-the-neck headphones that don't have much in the way of sealing could use NC technology successfully.  Well, they can't.  I'm not really sure why HeadRoom has these down as NC headphones but they are not.  There was nothing in the nomenclature about them being NC and a quick look at the Sennheiser website confirms that these are not NC headphones.

Beyond that they are not too bad.  They are certainly not up to the PX100 sound but for a bluetooth headset they are pretty good.  Certainly the best quality sound I've heard yet from a bluetooth headphone.  They are comfortable and everything worked flawlessly as advertised (the usual bluetooth/cellphone operations) but in the end the sound was not enough to make the steep price ($149) worthwhile.  So I am going to send them back and try something else.  Oh how I wish my ears could tolerate IEMs!

Anyway, if anyone is looking for some decent sounding bluetooth, behind-the-neck headphones, and $150 is in your price range, these aren't too bad.

M.

Apr 21, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #5 of 11
I just bought them for use with my creative x-fi3.
The secret of good - nearly audiophile sound - with bluetooth devices lies in the used bluetooth codec.
Standard BT- codec is SBC with often quite low bitrates.
But there is another BT-Audio-Codec, called apt-x, which providess much better and even lossless transmission of audio-files. 
There are only few sources providing the apt-x-Standard.
According to this site these are the following:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/Apt-X-equipment

- Motorola Razr
- Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus
- Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.7
- Mac OS X
- Creative ZiiO Tablet
- Creative Zen X-fi3
- Dongles from Sennheiser, Creative, Jaybird

The newer Sennheiser BT-Headphones (MM100, mm450....) do all support apt-x.
The senn MM100 paired with the x-fi3, playing lossless files using apt-x, sounds in fact very good, even better than my beloved px100 (old model). No recessed mids and highs, bass is more punchy and tighter.
But there are some issues, too. The mm100 sometimes "freezes". You can still hear the music and change loudness but you can't skip or stop songs anymore. I don't care that much 'cause I mainly use this rig in the gym or for running or biking. Just throw all your favorite songs on the player and there is no need to skip :wink:

Sep 10, 2012 at 10:49 AM Post #6 of 11
Thanks guys for this review! These are totally obscure but my girlfriend wants something bluetooth to wear for hula hoop practice and performances, without you guys reporting back on the sound I wouldn't waste my money :) Glad to hear they are at least close to, if not better than, the PX100s.

Feb 5, 2013 at 3:41 AM Post #7 of 11
Quote:
The secret of good - nearly audiophile sound - with bluetooth devices lies in the used bluetooth codec.
Standard BT- codec is SBC with often quite low bitrates.
But there is another BT-Audio-Codec, called apt-x, which providess much better and even lossless transmission of audio-files. 
There are only few sources providing the apt-x-Standard.

The newer Sennheiser BT-Headphones (MM100, mm450....) do all support apt-x.
The senn MM100 paired with the x-fi3, playing lossless files using apt-x

Hi, are you sure the MM100 supports apt-x codec?

Feb 7, 2013 at 6:12 PM Post #8 of 11
..nobody knows? Can You help me please? 
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 31, 2013 at 5:10 AM Post #10 of 11
I have also been looking for a good open bluetooth stereo headset. I want to use it for cycling and in the car, so a closed one would simply be too dangerous.

For some reason, the MM 100 remains the only Sennheiser one without apt-X. I asked Sennheiser customer support yesterday whether they were going to release an MM 100-II with apt-X any time soon, but they said they had no immediate plans to do so.

For the time being I will continue to use my current combination of a Samsung HS3000 with a Sennheiser PX 100-II - even though it would be nice to lose the cable.

If anyone comes across a decent open bt headset with apt-X, please let us know.

Aug 31, 2013 at 10:33 AM Post #11 of 11
Yeah I really wish they would update it, I tried using my girlfriend's with my Nexus 4 because I want one for cycling as well, but it won't work because the Bluetooth version on the mm100 is outdated...shame, I'd buy one right now if it worked...
I have also been looking for a good open bluetooth stereo headset. I want to use it for cycling and in the car, so a closed one would simply be too dangerous.

For some reason, the MM 100 remains the only Sennheiser one without apt-X. I asked Sennheiser customer support yesterday whether they were going to release an MM 100-II with apt-X any time soon, but they said they had no immediate plans to do so.

For the time being I will continue to use my current combination of a Samsung HS3000 with a Sennheiser PX 100-II - even though it would be nice to lose the cable.

If anyone comes across a decent open bt headset with apt-X, please let us know.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back