Sennheiser mm-550x?
Jul 5, 2012 at 12:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

ch00b1f13

New Head-Fier
I have a $500 budget to spend on headphones. I don't have an amp and NEED noise canceling for the my headset, are the mm-550x's my best option at the moment? How is their sound quality? How is the noise canceling? Are they worth the extra money compared to the mm-500x's?

Any help is appreciated. 

Jul 5, 2012 at 1:04 AM Post #2 of 10
Why do you NEED noise canceling?

Jul 5, 2012 at 1:59 AM Post #4 of 10
Jul 5, 2012 at 3:28 AM Post #6 of 10
Now that you've explained why you think you need it, and not just saying that you need it, I can tell you that it would be a much better choice to get a high-isolating pair of headphones, or even a good pair of IEMs that isolate well. Active noise-canceling deteriorates sound quality and is really only necessary for constant droning noise like buses. For people talking, television, other peoples' speakers, etc., a pair of closed headphones that isolate well are a better choice in all respects. Just remember for the future, try to be helpful to those from whom you seek help.

Quote:
its something that i want in a headphone. when i am listening to music, i dont like the background noise as i feel it takes away from the sound; hence, i "need" the noise canceling to be a feature in my headphone.

Jul 5, 2012 at 12:07 PM Post #7 of 10
Quote:
Now that you've explained why you think you need it, and not just saying that you need it, I can tell you that it would be a much better choice to get a high-isolating pair of headphones, or even a good pair of IEMs that isolate well. Active noise-canceling deteriorates sound quality and is really only necessary for constant droning noise like buses. For people talking, television, other peoples' speakers, etc., a pair of closed headphones that isolate well are a better choice in all respects. Just remember for the future, try to be helpful to those from whom you seek help.

Ok thanks, what do you recommend for my budget?

Jul 5, 2012 at 1:16 PM Post #9 of 10
Most any headphone that fits around your ear will be decent at blocking outside noise, esp when you start playing music.  You are basically looking for "closed" headphones.

But without telling us what your musical/audio preferences are, it's hard to make a suggestion for you.  Do you like lots/little/balanced bass?  Smooth vs. aggressive sound?  Wide vs. intimate sounstage?

Jul 5, 2012 at 8:41 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:
Most any headphone that fits around your ear will be decent at blocking outside noise, esp when you start playing music.  You are basically looking for "closed" headphones.

But without telling us what your musical/audio preferences are, it's hard to make a suggestion for you.  Do you like lots/little/balanced bass?  Smooth vs. aggressive sound?  Wide vs. intimate sounstage?

I LOVE BASS but i dont like it to be overpowering like the beats by dre. something like ultrasone hfi-580's which i currently own are good. smooth sound is good and a wide soundstage is amazing as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back