Sennheiser long term support - problem solved
Apr 17, 2020 at 9:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Solist

New Head-Fier
EDIT: Sennheiser managed to sort things out. They found the headphones and a correct cable, so they will ship them back. Special thanks to everyone who was involved in finding a solution, especially with all the things that are currently going on. And apologies for my rant.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Greetings to all.

Let me share you a story, and yes I am pissed.

I spent most of my life listening to rather crappy in ear headphones, and last year I decided to buy me a pair of nicer ones. After reading about the excellent reputation of Sennheiser, I decided to go for the Momentum 2 over ear wired black. Built quality overall was excellent, and so was the sound, given that they are closed back.

I took good care of them, but in March I had to take them for service to an authorized Sennheiser repair/distributer. They are still under warranty. The cable wore off at the point where it leaves the 3,5mm jack housing, which caused the left channel to cut off randomly. I used them everyday, come rain or come shine, and I was really hoping that the cable would last longer. The sturdy build quality was one of the reasons I decided to buy them in the first place.

Today, more than 1 and a half month later, I contacted the repair shop which is also the distributor for Sennheiser to find what is going on. Honestly, I have no idea what they do there. Given the current situation I knew I would need to wait more than usual, which did not bother me.

I mentioned to the guys working there what the problem was when I brought them in, and I was hoping for a fix of the cable or getting another one. What they replied today after I called them, was that the headphones are not repairable and that I will get either a money refund or I can buy another product from the store where I bought them. Of course, they dont sell them anymore in my country, so I guess need to start looking for alternatives?

I am sorry, but what? A user replaceable cable is considered an irreparable thing? Enough to throw an otherwise perfectly functional pair of headphones in the bin? I could have fixed that myself, but I didnt want to void warranty. Or in the worst case I would just order a new cable.

And I cant even get them back so I can fix them myself. So now, after 1 and a half month of waiting for nothing, I am basically forced to take the money, take my sweet time to find a dealer who sells them, and pay extra since the prices went up? All of this because they decided not to replace a cable?

I wrote to Sennheiser about this, but still nothing.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2020 at 12:57 AM Post #3 of 11
Thank you for the suggestion. The thing is, the distributor/repair said I can't have my headphones back. Basically told me to screw off and work things out directly with the seller I bought them from.

Apr 18, 2020 at 2:12 AM Post #5 of 11
Why would you sent it off for repair? It's a $12 user replaceable part that literally plugs in. It probably cost more to ship it than to buy another cable.

Apr 18, 2020 at 2:23 AM Post #6 of 11
Yeah when I checked last year it was a lot more than that. Currently is 15€ on their site or something like that. I am sorry, maybe I was just expecting too much? This is the whole point of a warranty, isn't it? If the cable couldn't last for even 1 year of regular use, then why would I give them more money? Wasted the whole day yesterday because of this, and I have a deadline to catch.

Not my problem, if they had to send them to Austria just to replace a cable. They could easily have sent the cable to my country avoiding double shipping costs.

Been in 2 channel audio for a lot of years now, and I have never experienced something like this. Maybe I am just spoiled by manufacturers who take some pride in what they do.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2020 at 3:01 AM Post #8 of 11
I get it that the whole Covid-19 situation turned the world upside down. That is why I waited for a relatively long time before I decided to contact them.

I have no problem in waiting until this pandemic gets over to get them back. But I find it absolutely ridiculous, that the only way for me to get a hold of the same model of headphones, is to order them from a foreign country and pay extra because the prices went up. All of this because I wanted to apply warranty.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2020 at 3:42 AM Post #10 of 11
No clue really. The guy I handed them over, just told me that in Austria they decided to give me a full refund and told me that he had done its role. That is the part that got me suspicious. Been around enough time on this earth to experience all sorts of ****ery (pardon my language) off all kinds. The first thing I thought was that they either lost them, or decided to keep them for themselves and mark them as irreparable. It just does not make any sense that they would refund them, because of 1 cable which costs them nothing. This way, both me and Sennheiser lose money.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back